Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive Dublin bus driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TallGlass wrote: »
    Can you point me to this law you speak of? I would like to read it.

It use to be if there is a cycle lane it must be used but as I said things are not fully clarified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It use to be if there is a cycle lane it must be used but as I said things are not fully clarified.

I understand what you are saying I am not doubting you, just I would just like to read over it! Cause to me that is very interesting.

Take for example, this which cycle lane are we to use in that case? The one on the road or the one on the path? There plenty of roads, that have what I like to describe as 'magic' cycle lanes some of which are clearly not fit for purpose.

And what about in this situation, plenty of it around Dublin, sign says bikes welcome in Bus Lane, yet a cycle lane on path, so both are conflicting in that case?

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I understand what you are saying I am not doubting you, just I would just like to read over it! Cause to me that is very interesting.

Take for example, this which cycle lane are we to use in that case? The one on the road or the one on the path? There plenty of roads, that have what I like to describe as 'magic' cycle lanes some of which are clearly not fit for purpose.

And what about in this situation, plenty of it around Dublin, sign says bikes welcome in Bus Lane, yet a cycle lane on path, so both are conflicting in that case?

Here

Search for and read SI 332/2012 - this contains the latest changes and current wording surrounding use of cycle lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyclists think they own the road shocker

MOD VOICE: Read the forum rules before posting again
    With all due respects to the mods, why do they allow obviously inflammatory posts to exist?
    MOD VOICE: The Red Triangle with an exclamation mark should be used to report posts, makes things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Honestly OP. You gave the driver too much respect after he beeped you and berated you. In future raise a middle finger, ala Clyde from every which way but loose and then proceed on your way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

A few years ago someone would have simply called him a ballix and moved on with with their life.

Life's too short for petty nonsense, gripes and complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

cython wrote: »
    Search for and read SI 332/2012 - this contains the latest changes and current wording surrounding use of cycle lanes.

I'm confused, I though the Dept of Transport (or whatever it's called these days) are saying they can't find any record of Varadkar's changes, sure it's right there in black & white no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Honestly OP. You gave the driver too much respect after he beeped you and berated you. In future raise a middle finger, ala Clyde from every which way but loose and then proceed on your way

This is why wearing headphones while cycling is great! Everyone assumes because your wearing headphones, you can't hear anything else (which is incorrect). So if a bus driver honks his horn...ignore him! He'll assume you can't hear! Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

07Lapierre wrote: »
    This is why wearing headphones while cycling is great! Everyone assumes because your wearing headphones, you can't hear anything else (which is incorrect). So if a bus driver honks his horn...ignore him! He'll assume you can't hear! Simple!

Could be warning you your chain is flat....

Could be many other reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Could be warning you your chain is flat....

Could be many other reasons though.

Not worried about a flat chain....

Any other reason doesn't interest me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

OP - report him to DB with as much details as you can, if you felt your life was endangered, report to Gardai as well.

I have received a response from the DB complaints department today for my report done on Monday, saying that the driver was identified (I had a photo of him) and he will face his managers soon. From another source I know they are keen cyclists, so I'm happy with that :D

Note that I have cycled in front of the bus, leaned my my bike on the bonnet and took a photo of the reg and the driver himself, who was refusing to identify himself like he is supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

JeffKenna wrote: »
    So you admit to being in the wrong yet still want to complain the driver? Did you apologise to him?

What wrong, there's no requirement to use a cycle path especially when there is ground first with damp leaves, that pose as hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That cycle lane is quite good and plenty of room to pass shelter. Shelter is out against the road.

Buy a bell for the bike as its a legal requirement to warn the pedestrian and always travel at a safe speed.

I don't use that stretch because in the past year I've got several punctures when it slopes down , it seems to attract debris.

Anyway on that stretch the issue are that cars block the bus lane because they use it illegally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I'm confused, I though the Dept of Transport (or whatever it's called these days) are saying they can't find any record of Varadkar's changes, sure it's right there in black & white no?

No, they're saying that the SI does not actually mean what was published in the media, etc. at the time, and that the explanatory note on the SI is wrong, and basically trying to retract what was clearly the intent of the changes without actually rewriting the SI by trying to muddle the interpretation instead. Absolute clown carry-on in other words!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless i have the wrong link:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print

the explanatory note at the bottom (and it's the status of explanatory notes which is in question):
    Part 3 of the Regulations amend, from 1 October 2012, provisions of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 to 2011. The main amendments include...: new and amended requirements for use of cycle tracks (only use of contraflow cycle track and of any cycle track in pedestrianised area is mandatory)

so an attempt was made to change the law to state that cyclists do not have to use cycles lanes if provided, unless they are in pedestrianised areas or contraflow. the DOT seem conflicted as to whether they're actually able to draft law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Had a similar experience a couple of months ago. Templeogue road outbound between terenure and templeogue. There's a bit where the road narrows and you're guided off the main road into the estate by a sign saying "cycle track". I'd generally use it, but at the time the road was covered in wet leaves so for a few weeks had been sticking to the road, like plenty do.

Had a 49 bus tailgate me ridiculously close and then went for an overtake into oncoming traffic. He timed it poorly and moved back in when he was about half way past me. There's no path to fall into, just a kerb, wall and fence. ****ing terrifying. Caught up to him at the lights and knocked on the window. I was surprisingly calm tbh, he whipped the window open and started shouting "you should be on the cycle track, there's no room". I asked if there's no room, why pass me? There was about 200ft left before he could have safely overtaken.

I complained to DB with footage of the whole thing and they were very quick to respond, letting me know the driver was interviewed but no idea of the outcome.

The next day I was getting the 49 to work and who was driving? Yep. At least 4 times on the trip into town he was aggressively jamming on and blaring the horn. Guess the interview did nothing.

cython wrote: »

Just had a quick skim over that, are we actually paying people to spell out the obvious? EG and basic version! 'Where a sign says no entry, a driver shall not drive up this street in that direction'. WTF.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Not worried about a flat chain....

Any other reason doesn't interest me.

As a cyclist, a motorcyclist and a car driver, I would strongly urge you to stop that practice, it's seriously dangerous. I don't listen to anything on the push bike or motorcycle, hearing is another sense on the road. Your basically driving deaf. I as a car driver and motorcyclist have used my horn towards other motorist to warn them of hazards they have not noticed. For example, I once used my horn to warn someone that they were driving on the wrong side of the road, towards oncoming traffic. Don't take the beeping of a horn to be aggressive sometimes it can mean your in danger and to watch out. Something you may have missed. Or another dramatic example would be a car coming behind you with a catastrophic failure of some sort, causing the car to be uncontrollable.
    Alek wrote: »
    Note that I have cycled in front of the bus, leaned my my bike on the bonnet and took a photo of the reg and the driver himself, who was refusing to identify himself like he is supposed to do.

Is this true? Why would a bus driver have to identify himself to a member of the public. I'm sure the registration of the bus is good enough. Only asking out of interest as I have never heard of that before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just had a quick skim over that, are we actually paying people to spell out the obvious? EG and basic version! 'Where a sign says no entry, a driver shall not drive up this street in that direction'. WTF.
    you do understand how laws work? unless the law states the above, *it's not against the law*.

you do understand how laws work? unless the law states the above, *it's not against the law*.

I think you don't see my point at all..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Your basically driving deaf. I

Do you rely on your hearing in your car which does not have to endure as much road noise and will often have a radio on?

Having earphones on has been shown to have some calming influences and make people even more aware of their surroundings.

There's so much road noise when on a bike, that the right choice of headphones/earphones will be of benefit for many users.

Don't mistake your own lack of confidence in using them, or a perception that they're unsafe for fact please

• Advertisement

Is this true? Why would a bus driver have to identify himself to a member of the public.

I don't think it is required by law in any way, but as any employee of a company serving the public, he should not refuse to identify himself when asked... in case of a complaint, it can be taken against him as he is avoiding responsibility.

In my company (technical support) it is against the code of ethics not to give your name (or nick which you are known at work) if the customer asks.

Do you rely on your hearing in your car which does not have to endure as much road noise and will often have a radio on?

I get your point, but how often are you overtaken dangerously close while driving a car in the city? And what would be the consequences of a being brushed or hit by it?

I cycle with the left earbud myself and rely on hearing while changing my road position slightly within the lane. I guess it saved my life a few times. For larger maneouvers, I turn around to check. OTOH, I recently got passed by one of these electric cars. Scary, didn't hear the fecker at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

he should not refuse to identify himself when asked
    Thats bollox...no way some randomer can request your full name off you just because you have the misfortune off working with the unwashed masses.

If it's a legit compliant the employee can be easily identified.

Weepsie wrote: »

Having earphones on has been shown to have some calming influences and make people even more aware of their surroundings.

There's so much road noise when on a bike, that the right choice of headphones/earphones will be of benefit for many users.

Don't mistake your own lack of confidence in using them, or a perception that they're unsafe for fact please

Yes, I do rely on my hearing while driving the car.

'Your own lack of confidence', My god what a comment. I have absolutely no problem with my confidence or competency as a motorist or cyclist. I was offering friendly advise as to why people may use there horn, it's not always aggressive. Where is this fact that you speak of, BTW? I don't use them as I want to hear what's happening around me.

So your telling me, your a safer cyclist if you've a set of ear phones in, I just don't get that. But listen, use them if you want. I don't want to, and it's nothing to do with confidence.

Thats bollox...no way some randomer can request your full name off you

Not a full name, but i.e. the employee number. You need to address a legit complaint against someone... A Garda is required to do so by law in example.
    just because you have the misfortune off working with the unwashed masses.

Are you considering yourself somehow better washed? Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Just leave off the bus drivers. If he beeped than so what. They have a boring hard enough thankless low paid job.

Just leave off the bus drivers.

Even if they risk your life on purpose? Sure why not.
    thankless low paid job

I always say thanks leaving the bus. Low paid? Well....
    Dublin Bus drivers are the sixth-best paid municipal bus drivers in Europe. They also ranked 12th in the world, according to a UBS Prices and Earnings study on 71 cities last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Not a full name, but i.e. the employee number.
    fair enough...maybe
    A Garda is required to do so by law in example.
    they are an exception not the rule

Are you considering yourself somehow better washed? Just asking.
    was an archaic way of refering to "the public".

I have had the misfortune of working in call centres for a couple of years...at a guess 80% of the public are ok..the other 20% are a$reholes and idiots. If you drive a bus in Dublin you will meet those 20% , so some randomer barking at you for identification will be met with disdain .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: And there is the end of another wonderful thread full of useful information and points to think over. If you take nothing else away from this thread, let it be that some people are asshats, a larger number are not. There is no way to tell if a person is one or the other based solely on their mode of transport. Have a lovely Saturday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement