Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanzarote road cycling advice

Options
  • 13-01-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Just a quick question.I went cycling in lanzarote last year and must say really enjoyed it just a couple things I was a bit nervous and unclear about.The roads coming out of the resort are main roads kinda like motorways e.g.LZ1..1 is it OK to cycle on all these roads and 2 if so whilst cycling on themy you pass slip roads off them.so if I am heading straight pass the slip road and traffic behind me is taking the slip do I have the right of way.cars do be going pretty fast so a bike going past the slip can hold them up.made me very nervous when I was passing these.cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

As far as I know you are fine to cycle on them. There are plenty of alternative routes with less traffic though so I avoided them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

They have some unusual junctions in Spain...watch out for stop signs!

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-irish-rider-survives-nervous-moment-descending-at-speed/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Great place to cycle. As previous poster said, best to keep off the main PDC-Arrecife road and choose other ones. Lots of excellent routes but avoid facing into the wind where possible. It can make for a tough ride back to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Great place to cycle. As previous poster said, best to keep off the main PDC-Arrecife road and choose other ones. Lots of excellent routes but avoid facing into the wind where possible. It can make for a tough ride back to base.

It's seems heading north first is always in to the head wind so maybe that's best.how did u find these less busy roads guys should I map them out on strava or something

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Check wind direction before planning route. Can be breezier in the afternoon/evening. You will find local drivers are respectful of cyclists, tourist in rentals less so.
    Any road on the island is fine, surfaces are generally good. Unlikely you will get lost.
    A few serious climbs if you wish to try them. One I liked best (if that is correct term!) is from Playa Blanca to PDC via Femes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement