Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bhp query

Options
  • 13-01-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭

I recently changed cars to a 1.6 diesel which is 100 bhp. However, the insurance company has told me that a 100 bhp does not exist for my spec car(hatchback) but only for a SW, so they have said on the premium that it's 110 bhp.

I received the log book yesterday and the car is 100 bhp as per the dealer.

Is it worth my time fighting with them to change the bhp? I'm just concerned that if I were involved in an RTC that they could claim that my car is not the one that they have insured.

Also, I would wonder if the premium would be slightly lower if it were insured at the correct power.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Present the VLC to them and they will adjust their systems to locate an abi( vehicle code for their databases)

If your car was imported from UK or further afield then they may only have Irish Car Spec on system that's basic

Curious who is ins company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I recently changed cars to a 1.6 diesel which is 100 bhp. However, the insurance company has told me that a 100 bhp does not exist for my spec car(hatchback) but only for a SW, so they have said on the premium that it's 110 bhp.

I received the log book yesterday and the car is 100 bhp as per the dealer.

Is it worth my time fighting with them to change the bhp? I'm just concerned that if I were involved in an RTC that they could claim that my car is not the one that they have insured.

Also, I would wonder if the premium would be slightly lower if it were insured at the correct power.

What car is it, is it a uk import?

Edit: no
    Will have a 171 Peugeot 308 1.6 Diesel in red on the road Friday. Trading in my 131 Peugeot 208 1.2 Petrol, 22K km on the clock.

I was hoping to get a petrol 308 but that was not an option for the spec I am getting. When I got the 208 she already had approx. 5.5K km on her and in 3 years I got her up to 22k. Dealer told me that the blue HDi engine will allow it to heat up like a petrol engine and shouldn't worry to much about the fact that I don't do too much mileage.

This will be my first brand new car, but I will miss my little 208, she was so good to me after owning two crap cars prior to her. I passed my driving test in her, but whoever buys her will have a nice clean low mileage car.

The engine kw will be on the logbook when you get it back, putting the reg into cartel.ie might even say the bhp in the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

It's with Zurich and the car is a 171 Peugeot 308 that I got from a Cork dealership.

I'm with a broker and she looked up other ins companies to see if they had her at 100bhp and she said that no ins company did.

Edit: it does say 100bhp on the log book but ins company says that my car can't be hatchback at that power.

I think I will scan a copy of the log book to them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The current engines are 100bhp and 120bhp though?

http://media.peugeot.ie/file/12/9/peugeot-pricelist.142129.pdf?lcdv16=1PT9A5FKQ5U0A0B2

Looks the insurance company has out of date info or uses uk specs, although the uk has only 100 and 120 options.
    Is there any chance they have it down as a pure tech 110? (Petrol)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

colm_mcm wrote: »

I can't figure out how they are saying it can't be 100bhp as she is not a new gen that's just been released this year, so she is not the first of her type.

All I can do send a copy of the logbook and ask them to change it from 110bhp to 100bhp.

Edit: nope, everything else on the insurance policy is correct (they do have her as diesel) just the bhp but I do believe that the old 307 hatchback was 110, so they might be using that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Possibly the newest spec as '171 car is not avail yet for insurance database depending on their technology.

Advertisement