Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of car to insure

Options
  • 13-01-2017 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

can someone tell me is there a certain year\age a car has to be before insurance companies will insure it.i seem to remember reading something about cars needing to be above a certain year.please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,253 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

10 to 15 years old seems to be getting harder to insure, anything over 15 years old seems to be getting near impossible by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Think your mixing it with issue that some companies seem to have stopped quoting for 10 or 15 year old cars or older, for new customers.

Think if your already insured and change to older vehicle then that insurer has to quote a renewal but don't be surprised if its a whopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

edburg wrote: »
    Think your mixing it with issue that some companies seem to have stopped quoting for 10 or 15 year old cars or older, for new customers.

Think if your already insured and change to older vehicle then that insurer has to quote a renewal but don't be surprised if its a whopper.

Yeah my focus is in great condition but as a 04 I found almost half the companies wouldn't quote me last year. I'm with AIG and fought with them to better their renewal premium with a 300 euro increase. In the end it only went up 20 euro! We'll see what happens at renewal next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

thanks a million for the feedback.christ it isnt easy to stay on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

What is the point of the NCT if insurance companies refuse to insure what should be perfectly good older cars?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

athtrasna wrote: »
    In the end it only went up 20 euro! We'll see what happens at renewal next month!
    Judging by the near constant WTF from folks trying to get premiums this year even on newer cars, but especially on older, prepare to apply love lube on your rear end and bend over. :(
    What is the point of the NCT if insurance companies refuse to insure what should be perfectly good older cars?
    There lies a tale alright… I'd not normally be of the conspiratorial inclination but more and more I'm getting the distinct feeling that it's part of a vague tactic to get the economy moving by getting people to "upgrade" to new cars, with the corresponding uptake in car loans, tax and tying people into dealer networks that comes with new cars. Which moves more money around for banks and dealers and tax? Not 10 year old cars that are long paid for and usually brought to non dealers for servicing. Which are being penalised? Yeah, sounds crazy and correlation and causation and all that, but it makes one wonder…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bazz26 wrote: »
    10 to 15 years old seems to be getting harder to insure, anything over 15 years old seems to be getting near impossible by the looks of it.

Creeping down all the time though. Fbd won't insure cars over 8 years old online. You need to "ring them". After you ring your bank to warn them of a bonkers amount of money about to disappear from your account I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lavamanya

I was told by an insurance company this week my inflated quote was set by the central bank and could'nt be reduced.They suggested I go elsewhere for my insurance.My car is over 15 years old.Thinking of trading it in now,but it does'nt look like anything over 8 years old will be insureable the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

At this point insurance using any excuse and contradict even themselves.

There was a great example of fella here on boards.ie with his micra, each year went up, then they gave him excuse it being 14 years old. So he went and bought 171 1.2 note and they sent him renewal even bigger!!! Excuse? It's too new now.

They will have any excuse and golden spot for insurance is like unicorn. It does not exist and they will find a way to share you.

Another example for some odd reason same cars, but less powerful diesel will be more to insure then more powerful petrol. Go figure.

Then you have people posting here paying 500-600eu for Ford fiesta st, 1.6 turbo with 180hp. Go figure again.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

There was a great example of fella here on boards.ie with his micra, each year went up, then they gave him excuse it being 14 years old. So he went and bought 171 1.2 note and they sent him renewal even bigger!!! Excuse? It's too new now.

They will have any excuse and golden spot for insurance is like unicorn. It does not exist and they will find a way to share you.

Another example for some odd reason same cars, but less powerful diesel will be more to insure then more powerful petrol. Go figure.

Then you have people posting here paying 500-600eu for Ford fiesta st, 1.6 turbo with 180hp. Go figure again.

For first time the renewal quote for Diesel Insignia was cheaper than last year and the best quote I could get plus I got extra 10% off going through online renewal milarkey. 680 compared to best quote of 1200 elswhere.

Still only 560 to insure the Astra OPC Burg edition last year, cant wait till May to see what happens with that one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lavamanya wrote: »
    I was told by an insurance company this week my inflated quote was set by the central bank and could'nt be reduced.
    What new daftness is this? They told you that? I'd love to hear their reasoning.
    I would generally assume stupidity over badness with such things SH. In this case a multifactorial clusterfcuk of gouging and lack of foresight among the government, the legal profession, claim chancers, the motor industry and the insurance industry. The insurance industry is the head of the pus ridden boil and the pressure's built up and that's where the goo is coming from now.
    Generally speaking though the trend is newer is OK, which suits the economy. The claim may be they're harder to steal, when in fact cars are getting easier to steal(generic and hackable security across the board and stupid EU rules). They can't claim repairs are cheaper. Car repairs have again gone up over the last decade. The "green" argument is a load of utter arse, as the environmental footprint of building a new car bigger than it was a decade ago. Safety? More BS, as the average ten year old car has airbags, ABS, full EU safety rating of the time and a increasingly worthless but legally mandated NCT cert.
    Yep, see below
    edburg wrote: »
    Still only 560 to insure the Astra OPC Burg edition last year, cant wait till May to see what happens with that one :pac:
    Fair play, but how in hell? In my case I'm being wallet raped at near double the premium on a five grand Honda compared to another Boardsie's fifty grand Porsche 911.

At this point I'm frustrated and fcuking angry TBH. I've been a good boy all my driving life and it comes to nought because a bunch of price gougers and morons have lost the run of themselves.

As it stands if I don't get a last minute reprieve and insurance quote that is somewhat less batshít insane* in the next week or so, my car's up on blocks and I'm on shank's pony, a non driver for the first time since the mid 1980's.

*under two grand would likely sway me. That's how batshít insane it's become, when I was paying under half that for full cover on the same car with younger me behind the wheel three years ago.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And if I do put my car up on blocks until insurance premiums come back to some sort of sanity, the pricks will take me from behind again because my NCB will have lapsed. You can't bloody win. :mad::mad:

Wibbs wrote: »
    And if I do put my car up on blocks until insurance premiums come back to some sort of sanity, the pricks will take me from behind again because my NCB will have lapsed. You can't bloody win. :mad::mad:

Even if you insure a micra in the meantime some companies will refuse to insure you on a car that you have had sitting up uninsured by the sounds of regular threads in the insurance forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

bazz26 wrote: »

You have to wonder if you should be looking for a classic policy when you get over 10/15 years old with the car

9935452 wrote: »
    You have to wonder if you should be looking for a classic policy when you get over 10/15 years old with the car

Only good shturdy german cars are being accepted for classics now. No japanese.

Part of the the reason they give for the older cars being uninsurable is that they are more likely to have faults or issues.

From these two pieces of information we can safely assume that a 2002 reg German car is unlikely to have any faults or flaws (airbags, central locking, engine management, lighting) and that older japanese cars are very troublesome.

They have stats to prove this.

No, you can't see them.

It's very hard to get one on a daily driver. Classic insurance is for second cars with limited milage allowances and what car is deemed a "classic" is a very variable label depending on insurance companies. Mark me that ail get worse too. Driving a 1960's car takes more effort to keep it on the road and an enthusiast to do so. Driving a 90's car not nearly so much. Plus the vast majority of pre 1980 classics are not nearly so fast, so less risk there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's very hard to get one on a daily driver. Classic insurance is for second cars with limited milage allowances and what car is deemed a "classic" is a very variable label depending on insurance companies. Mark me that ail get worse too. Driving a 1960's car takes more effort to keep it on the road and an enthusiast to do so. Driving a 90's car not nearly so much. Plus the vast majority of pre 1980 classics are not nearly so fast, so less risk there.

Its possible though isnt it .
    Doesnt skatedude here have a classic as his daily driver

I know someone who does it myself, but he's had the car and policy with the same broker for donkey's years. I'd be very surprised if you could get that kinda cover nowadays on a new policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zergmaster

I've also been following the insurance rip-off subject for half a year at least and that makes me wonder. What's the age when the insurance threshold happens?
    I've read one of the posts above that says that cars between 10-15 years can't get new policies and are limited to policy extensions. That leads to the question: when the car reaches 10+ years old, does the insurance get much more expensive?
    I'm asking as as prospective car buyer as I don't want to buy an 7-8 year old car only to be surprised after a few years when the insurance premium skyrockets. I don't like the idea of being forever bound to PCP deal either.
    What's the most sensible way to make the most out of the insurance company attitude towards the old cars? Should I buy a new car and drive it for 10+ years and replace it afterwards (when it can't be insured anymore)?

Zergmaster wrote: »
    Should I buy a new car and drive it for 10+ years and replace it afterwards (when it can't be insured anymore)?
    The economy/banks/car makers/car dealers/government would prefer if you did and it seems this goes for the insurance industry too. One might muse this is why "classics" got favourable insurance, at least in the past. Tiny market, didn't affect the wider economy and most policies insisted on a newer "daily driver", so keeping the economy/etc happy.

Now with more thinking of looking at newer "classics", many of which have the same or similar safety features and drivers aids and are far more reliable* than something from the 70's(and arguably, in some cases more reliable than new. Certainly cheaper to run), the drive to remove them from the market, or make it increasingly uneconomic to drive seems a little coincidental.

Oh and I'm not going all tin foil hat here. No planned conspiracy required. All it needs is a general, nay subconscious shift by vested interests to get this kinda thing rolling. Look at how the so called "Greens" and other vested interests got more and more people buying diesels, when said engines weren't suitable for the majority of drivers and actually cause more environmental damage(and more faults).

*in the sense that cars from say 90-2000 require less "DIY" maintenance from the owners than previously. A 70's Cortina can be very reliable, but needs more pampering. A 70's Jaguar would also require more prayer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement