Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NES CABLE

• 13-01-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Rummaging through old stuff at home I found my old NES and controllers but no cable to convey to TV. I have power cable and controllers. Can this cable still be ordered?

I have an old TV it should connect to but do they work on newer TVs with some kind of adaptor ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's just a pair of phono cables needed.
    They come in a set of three normally, red, white and yellow, but your Nes only needs two of them.
    Either plug those into the appropriate phono connectors on your tv, located on the front or sometimes on the back or even side of the set.
    If you don't have that, then use a scart adapter to plug the cable into the scart socket, located on the rear of the TV.
    And that's that.
    You can find the phono cables all over the place, if you don't have them at home Euro-Shops, Dealz or Maplins will have them, as well as the adapter if required.
    And then you're off to the races!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's just a pair of phono cables needed.
    They come in a set of three normally, red, white and yellow, but your Nes only needs two of them.
    Either plug those into the appropriate phono connectors on your tv, located on the front or sometimes on the back or even side of the set.
    If you don't have that, then use a scart adapter to plug the cable into the scart socket, located on the rear of the TV.
    And that's that.
    You can find the phono cables all over the place, if you don't have them at home Euro-Shops, Dealz or Maplins will have them, as well as the adapter if required.
    And then you're off to the races!

Cheers. Would something like this do the job ?

http://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-scart-to-s-video-and-twin-phono-rca-cable-5m-a94ny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

No, I don't think so. That one is SCART to Phono Audio + SVideo .

The NES uses 1 phono for Audio and 1 phono for Video.

While you can plug the 2 phono connectors into your NES's audio and video out, the white cable is wired to your SCART's right audio channel and nothing is going to the video pins.

If you can find a SCART - Phono adapter, which you can get in Power City or Harvey Norman, any Phono cable -regardless of the colour of it's tip, which is for your benefit only - can be used as long as you are consistent with which one goes to video, which one goes to audio, if that makes sense. So you can use 2 "red tipped" phono cables as long as you remember yourself which one is which.

here's a Scart to Phono cable :
    http://powercity.ie/index.php?par=30-70-DV2401&action=moreinfo
    Since it's hard wired, use Yellow for video, Red for mono audio.

Maplin have one too
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-scart-to-six-phono-twin-composite-cable-5m-a99ny
    Note - there's 6 cables here. 3 input, 3 output. I used to have one years ago like that, the cables were misleading (Input was marked on the cables you plugged into an output, because that was your input source) but you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right first time.

NOTE!
    I DON'T OWN A NES! I JUST HAVE A **** LOAD OF PHONO CABLES!
    so I might be wrong in everything I've just said.

Advertisement