Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games? (Part II)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

Lottery.ie app prompt for update!?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agency.lotto

Was just about to scan my tickets on the app, prompted to update.

Your device is no longer compatible? Maybe because I'm rooted or android version to old for it?

Anyone else having problems?

This seemed like a good place to post my query?

Edit: - Was able to install on rooted Nexus 9 running Nougat.
    I have extracted the app and will see if I can update my phone.

Edit 2: -
    "What’s new
    Thank you for using the National Lottery app. This release contains continued updates and enhancements to improve your play experience.

Please note that we no longer support below Android SDK 29."

Android 10 or above?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mossie

Is there any app that will allow me to block an app from accessing a particular Wi-Fi network? Spotify is trying to access the internet through my work Wi-Fi which doesn't allow it so can I force it to use mobile data only while my phone is connected to that particular Wi-Fi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mossie wrote: »
    Is there any app that will allow me to block an app from accessing a particular Wi-Fi network? Spotify is trying to access the internet through my work Wi-Fi which doesn't allow it so can I force it to use mobile data only while my phone is connected to that particular Wi-Fi?

DopeTech wrote: »

Thanks but that forces it to use mobile data all the time which I don't want, just not to use one particular Wi-Fi network.

• Advertisement

Googling the above resulted in the following link:-

How to Completely Block Internet Access for Specific Android Apps

Scroll down and you get:-

"Completely Block Internet Access for Select Apps

To completely block Wi-Fi as well as mobile data access, you will need to download a Play Store app called NetGuard – no root firewall. It is one of the best apps for blocking online access to any app without rooting the phone. There are no advertisements, trackers, or other privacy concerns.
    "
    ^^^ Think it is running a local VPN on your device

There is other methods if your rooted, to suspend/freeze apps etc.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Just get a VPN and put all traffic through it, they won't see what goes through the VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

IF you are rooted you can use AFWall+
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dev.ukanth.ufirewall&hl=en&gl=US

I haven't tried any of the other firewalls that are suggested there.

I've tried this now but Spotify won't connect at all while the phone is on wifi. If I switch off the wifi it will connect otherwise I get "no internet connection"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I've tried this now but Spotify won't connect at all while the phone is on wifi. If I switch off the wifi it will connect otherwise I get "no internet connection"

I think your best option here is then to get a vpn like the above posters have mentioned and connect it when in that location or just have it connected all the time.You could probably set it up via tasker or macrodroid to only launch the vpn app if in range of the work wifi.

Keepsolid unlimited vpn often have a lifetime subscription going for around the €15 mark. there's a thread on it in bargain alerts.

• Advertisement

I think your best option here is then to get a vpn like the above posters have mentioned and connect it when in that location or just have it connected all the time.You could probably set it up via tasker or macrodroid to only launch the vpn app if in range of the work wifi.

Keepsolid unlimited vpn often have a lifetime subscription going for around the €15 mark. there's a thread on it in bargain alerts.

Yeah, probably my best option I think. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any decent work network is going to block vpns as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I used use quizup but haven't in ages, going to reinstall it now.

quizup is finishing next month? surprising i thought it was very popular

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DebJZ

corkie wrote: »
    Lottery.ie app prompt for update!?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agency.lotto

Was just about to scan my tickets on the app, prompted to update.

Your device is no longer compatible? Maybe because I'm rooted or android version to old for it?

Anyone else having problems?

This seemed like a good place to post my query?

Edit: - Was able to install on rooted Nexus 9 running Nougat.
    I have extracted the app and will see if I can update my phone.

Edit 2: -
    "What’s new
    Thank you for using the National Lottery app. This release contains continued updates and enhancements to improve your play experience.

Please note that we no longer support below Android SDK 29."

Android 10 or above?
    Yep, this happened to me, my sister and a lot of people I know at the start of the year. The app is no longer compatible with our devices. Nothing has been done about it and it's put me right off. The amount of money they make and they won't sort out their app. As far as I know it was sold off during the financial crisis and they don't seem to be bothered anymore. Total JOKE!

DebJZ wrote: »
    Yep, this happened to me, my sister and a lot of people I know at the start of the year. The app is no longer compatible with our devices. Nothing has been done about it and it's put me right off. The amount of money they make and they won't sort out their app. As far as I know it was sold off during the financial crisis and they don't seem to be bothered anymore. Total JOKE.:mad:

The only thing I use the app for is to scan my shop bought tickets. Prefer to buy in shop instead of online.

I was able to extract the most recent app on my Nexus 9 before they blocked that as well.

If they update again, I will be looking for someone with a modern phone to hopefully provide me with the update.

I wish they would just release a companion app, just for ticket scanning, not one that needs the security for playing/gambling online.

Edit: - Just left a review and suggestion email to support@lottery.ie

Edit 2: - Email sent and scripted response
    "Please note that we no longer support below Android SDK 29"
    Android 10 or above is very limiting for the app.
    Could you release a companion app, just for checking shop bought tickets?
    That doesn't need the security of playing/gambling online?

With covid, it is strange you're forcing players to check tickets with
    in store scanners.
    Thank you for contacting the National Lottery with your query.

I appreciate that this scenario can be frustrating and apologize for the inconvenience.
    Rest assured our team are currently working toward a resolve which we hope will be reached soon.

If you require any further assistance please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

FREE

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turtleapps.relaxingsleepsoundspro

Relaxing Sleep Sounds PRO is developed for your baby and you. You can put to sleep your baby easily with white noises. Therefore, you won’t lose your time with trying to sleep your baby. You can teach animals sounds and names with animal sounds. You can be relaxed with nature sounds. App doesn't need internet and it's only 25mb. You can stop sounds with timer when you want. Relaxing Sleep Sounds PRO includes 24 unique white noises, 18 animal sounds and 27 nature sounds.

Timer
    You can use timer for stop playing sounds in specific time.

Background audio
    Relaxing Sleep Sounds PRO supports background sound. Therefore, while sounds are playing, you can do what you want with phone like you can lock or close screen, play game, use other apps etc.

Offline support
    Relaxing Sleep Sounds PRO doesn’t needed internet. You can use Relaxing Sleep Sounds PRO every time and everywhere without internet connection.

Clean design without any ads
    Relaxing Sleep Sounds PRO has clean, basic and easy design. Also, app hasn’t any ads. Therefore, you can use app easily without annoying ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brunkonjaa

Magisk (energised protection, debloater, Greenify, busybox, systemless hosts)
    Vanced YouTube
    EdXposed Manager
    Terminal Emulator
    Aptoide
    CPU-Z
    DiskUsage
    Recovery Reboot
    uTorrent

I though people stopped with all that somewhere around 2017.

I though people stopped with all that somewhere around 2017.
    Degoogling bigger than ever, although that's not what they seem to be doing above, but similar.

User reports indicate problems at Facebook Messenger
    https://downdetector.ie/status/facebook-messenger/

• Advertisement

User reports indicate problems at Facebook Messenger
    https://downdetector.ie/status/facebook-messenger/

And Whatsapp.

Pie DNS AdBlocker (without VPN) + Backlog of links from xmas!

Adguard's new announcement gives the ability to block all ads on Web and apps without any apps installed or vpn running, on any connection (WiFi and mobile) just by changing a setting in Android Pie.

So the announcement is here:

The official release of AdGuard DNS — a new unique approach to privacy-oriented DNS

If you have Android Pie on your smartphone, go to "private dns" settings, change your dns to "dns.adguard.com"

^^^ Does work and no root required. Only limitation is you have no facility to whitelist some urls.

It is another alternative to cloudflare's DNS posted earlier in thread.

Sorry for quoting such an old post.

Got myself a new phone (Android 10), not bootloader unlocked or rooted, anymore.
    So resorting to DNS Adblocking,
    is adguard still the best option or have others been released since?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Sorry for quoting such an old post.

Got myself a new phone (Android 10), not bootloader unlocked or rooted, anymore.
    So resorting to DNS Adblocking,
    is adguard still the best option or have others been released since?

https://nextdns.io/

Only use oisd blocklist, don't use their own list

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Ben Done

jeffk wrote: »
    https://nextdns.io/

Only use oisd blocklist, don't use their own list

Looks great, cheers

- Corkie, will you report back if you try it - I'm still on the Mi 9T, and thought I'd never consider a phone without option of unlocking bootloader /root for Adblocking etc, but banking apps seem to be cracking down, so it looks like it won't be an option for much longer..

"NextDNS can be used for free up to 300,000 queries each month, after which all features will be disabled temporarily until next month"

E2 Monthly
    E20 Year

I have it on my phone and pc, plus herself phone (she's terrible with tech and has never complained about it)

You could also put the dns servers into your router to block ads on whatever devices connect to that network

You have to use the secure DNS in chrome I've found, but handy to set up

Ben Done wrote: »
    Looks great, cheers

- Corkie, will you report back if you try it - I'm still on the Mi 9T, and thought I'd never consider a phone without option of unlocking bootloader /root for Adblocking etc, but banking apps seem to be cracking down, so it looks like it won't be an option for much longer..

I'm using it on a honour aka huawei phone so can't unlock bootloader and works perfect

Herself phone the same brand setup etc and no issues

I'd miss root at times, easy removal of built in apps (adb commands are a work around), then whatever you can use to higher sound (viper4android the last time I had root), but then seems to be more and more issues with apps (sky go or that wouldn't work either)

Suckit wrote: »

Trouble with that is you can't use another VPN while using it. Would mean switching that off to use another.

Also your PM inbox was full last night?
    Ben Done wrote: »
    Looks great, cheers

Seems to be working as expected, only configured it last night.

I wanted an affordable phone and 'OPPO A72' ticked most of the boxes of my requirements.

Need it clean (not rooted) for SCA and Banking app.
    Most banks will be implementing that as well: - https://bpfi.ie/insights/mypsd2/
    "Since 1st January 2021, under a European law known as the second Payment Services Directive or PSD2, there are changes to how you shop online."

I mentioned the Lottery.ie app in previous post, installed on Android 10 with no problems.

Recommendation for Data/Traffic Monitor for Android 11?

I use to use this Traffic Monitor & 3G/4G/5G Speed on an older device.

I need to configure data use for dual sim and the above app no longer supports it in 10/11

Yes I known android has inbuilt monitors, but that app was handy to see daily use instead of monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

ProShot manual camera app, seen the offer on HUKD.
    Normally €4.99 but free for a few days.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riseupgames.proshot2

Advertisement