Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop ups on iPhone

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:28pm

Hi all, I keep getting these pop up things when using my iPhone. So far I think I've only noticed it while using the Facebook & Twitter apps but it's always the same 'ad'. Sometimes I also get redirected when opening links in apps to another page which is also a similar ad.

Does my phone have a virus or something, or is it contained within the apps? I have an ad blocker for safari but I've never seen pop ups like in the picture below ever come up in Facebook or Twitter before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

A quick Google search says to clear the Safari cache, but as youre in Facebook, I'd recommend deleting the app and logging back in

For reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7817378?start=0&tstart=0

miralize wrote: »
    A quick Google search says to clear the Safari cache, but as youre in Facebook, I'd recommend deleting the app and logging back in

For reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7817378?start=0&tstart=0

I'll try that and see how I get on, thanks!

So I've deleted Facebook, Twitter and FB messenger and reinstalled them, and I'm still getting pop-ups/redirects. Also now FB asks me every few minutes for camera access even though I've already granted it. Any more ideas? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

So I've deleted Facebook, Twitter and FB messenger and reinstalled them, and I'm still getting pop-ups/redirects. Also now FB asks me every few minutes for camera access even though I've already granted it. Any more ideas? :(

Clear history and website data in settings-safari

Toobz wrote: »
    Clear history and website data in settings-safari

Sorry, should have mentioned I did that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Settings | Safari | Block Pop-ups can be enabled.

Also while there enable Do not track & Block Cookies - Allow from current website only.

Consider using an adblocker, I use crystal on iOS myself. http://crystalapp.co/

Tazium wrote: »
    Settings | Safari | Block Pop-ups can be enabled.

Also while there enable Do not track & Block Cookies - Allow from current website only.

Consider using an adblocker, I use crystal on iOS myself. http://crystalapp.co/

Have most of those things enabled already, changed cookies to current website only, hope that will help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Can you factory reset the device? Backup all photos/contacts etc before you do.

miralize wrote: »
    Can you factory reset the device? Backup all photos/contacts etc before you do.

Yeah I think that's what I'll try next, nothing else seems to be working!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Did you install an ad blocker?

• Advertisement

Tazium wrote: »
    Did you install an ad blocker?

Yes I have one but it only works for safari, not apps / pages opened within apps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes I have one but it only works for safari, not apps / pages opened within apps.

All modern apps now uses Safari View Controller in which any installed ad blockers will work, as will your saved passwords, etc. It’s just like being in Safari except you can’t edit the address bar.

If you are only having the problem with third party apps that use their own mini browser then the issue is most likely isolated to that app. If deleting the app doesn’t fix it, then maybe ditch the app altogether and find an up-to-date alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

All modern apps now uses Safari View Controller in which any installed ad blockers will work, as will your saved passwords, etc. It’s just like being in Safari except you can’t edit the address bar.

If you are only having the problem with third party apps that use their own mini browser then the issue is most likely isolated to that app. If deleting the app doesn’t fix it, then maybe ditch the app altogether and find an up-to-date alternative.

A quick point. I'd consider Facebook and Twitter modern apps, but they'll never implement SafariViewController due to SafariViewController not allowing them to control the web experience (read; track the user) as much as they want to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A quick point. I'd consider Facebook and Twitter modern apps, but they'll never implement SafariViewController due to SafariViewController not allowing them to control the web experience (read; track the user) as much as they want to.

This is the main reason I won’t use the official Twitter app despite the slow boil treatment Twitter is giving third party clients like Tweetbot.

I wouldn’t consider them particularly modern apps. They are very slow to implement things - for understandable reasons given their large user bases and internal bureaucracies. Anytime they are the first to adopt a new feature I assume Apple has done all the work for them.

This is the main reason I won’t use the official Twitter app despite the slow boil treatment Twitter is giving third party clients like Tweetbot.

I wouldn’t consider them particularly modern apps. They are very slow to implement things - for understandable reasons given their large user bases and internal bureaucracies. Anytime they are the first to adopt a new feature I assume Apple has done all the work for them.
    Ah, these are the apps I'm experiencing issues with. I've deleted and reinstalled both of them but still having issues so I guess a reset is the next step?

Ah, these are the apps I'm experiencing issues with. I've deleted and reinstalled both of them but still having issues so I guess a reset is the next step?

If it's isolated to those apps, no. Facebook should have a clear cache option or there should be a way to delete their data. I wouldn't reset the whole phone for the sake of two apps.

If it's isolated to those apps, no. Facebook should have a clear cache option or there should be a way to delete their data. I wouldn't reset the whole phone for the sake of two apps.
    I can't seem to find a way to clear the cache of the apps, have looked through settings on the app and in iPhone settings and only option is to delete the app which I've done?

Advertisement