Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to catch up a class that is seriously behind

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

So I've just taken over a maternity leave and a number of classes are behind where I'd expect them to be.

I won't specify the subject but I will say there are 2 books for the LC course and one of the groups is a 5th year group. They are only 5 chapters into book 1 (a fellow teacher is on chapter 15). The entire class as a whole are behind. I'm wondering how I can get them on track so that they aren't disadvantaged when they go into 6th year.

I'm thinking of piling on the work and going hell for leather but I don't want to totally overwhelm them. I'm not really sure how to approach it. I'd expect them to be around 8 or 9 chapters ahead of where they are now, for an average class.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

So I've just taken over a number of classes from another teacher. I won't specify the subject but I will say there are 2 books for the JC course and this group is a 2nd year group. They are only 5 chapters into book 1 (a fellow teacher is on chapter 15). The entire class as a whole are behind. I'm wondering how I can get them on track so that they aren't disadvantaged when they go into 3rd year.

I'm thinking of piling on the work and going hell for leather but I don't want to totally overwhelm them. I'm not really sure how to approach it. I'd expect them to be around 8 or 9 chapters ahead of where they are now, for an average class.

You really got to specify the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I've just taken over a maternity leave and a number of classes are behind where I'd expect them to be.

I won't specify the subject but I will say there are 2 books for the LC course and one of the groups is a 5th year group. They are only 5 chapters into book 1 (a fellow teacher is on chapter 15). The entire class as a whole are behind. I'm wondering how I can get them on track so that they aren't disadvantaged when they go into 6th year.

You've got to give more information than this. What is the subject? What level are the students? Are the classes streamed in the school? Mixed ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Mixed ability classes in a Modern Foreign Language. I have both Leaving and Junior Cert classes that are behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Mixed ability classes in a Modern Foreign Language. I have both Leaving and Junior Cert classes that are behind.

If you have exam classes, do loads of exam prep, grammar and maybe summarise the chapters that are not finished. Some teachers have different ways of teaching - the slower pace might suit the students. I would check orally by checking tenses and see how well they answer.

Advertisement