Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Floored Attic, What to do with Cables?

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:37pm

Howyas,

I finished flooring the attic and ran all the cables that were supported over the rafters above the floor because I didn't want to derate them or lose access. I'm just wondering what the best thing to do with them now is?
    My preferred method would be to pin them to the flooring under earthed galvanised steel inverted C-channel rather than elevating them creating a trip hazard or encouraging them being pulled outtov circuit by shifting gubbins.

Also I want to put a socket up there from an existing socket circuit. Do I have to use NYMJ or is flex suitable?

Of course I'll be getting a REC to do all this work...the question is entirely academic...whistling.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

How often do you need access to them in reality? IMO take up the flooring again, cross batten to accommodate the wiring and put down the flooring. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Howyas,

Of course I'll be getting a REC to do all this work...the question is entirely academic...whistling.gif
    Then just leave it to the REC and don't overly concern yourself with what his methods will be.

How often do you need access to them in reality?

Eh, you never know.
    Often enough to appreciate serviceability. Is conduit verboten?

I can only imagine flooring an attic to leave the wiring exposed must have been a nightmare. Notching flooring, sliding flooring along joices under wires, possible damaging wiring etc. Again does one need to access to a switch wire for eaxample?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think i would just tape them down. any conduit will be in the way and a trip hasard

• Advertisement

Not at all and all the cables are in fine fettle.

I want access in case I want to have them rearranged and I'm not in the habit of installing useful things in inaccessible places.

I'm missing the point of this thread I think, rearranging cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,545 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Each to their own but I never heard or saw of any one doing it.

i think i would just tape them down. any conduit will be in the way and a trip hasard

I'm hoping for a more durable solution.

67610_P&$prodImageMedium$

Would something like that comply with regs. or is there any?
    All I've been able to find on the issue that cables must be secured.

I'm missing the point of this thread I think, rearranging cables?

Indeed I think you are.
    Sometimes I find better circuit layouts than what is installed as standard and I implement them if improvements in automation, efficiency or power source are more suitable.

I have 3 phases in my house, one from the grid two homebrew off batteries, a 12VDC workshop radial and a 48VDC house supply. Mostly they're a work in progress.

• Advertisement

dont know about the regs but i dont like the sharp edges

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Indeed I think you are.
    Sometimes I find better circuit layouts than what is installed as standard and I implement them if improvements in automation, efficiency or power source are more suitable.

I have 3 phases in my house, one from the grid two homebrew off batteries, a 12VDC workshop radial and a 48VDC house supply. Mostly they're a work in progress.

I wouldn't call that 3 phases.

Indeed I think you are.

Can you post a pic of your floored attic?

dont know about the regs but i dont like the sharp edges

Well they'll be pinned with the cable inside it, screws holding the corners down and the whole lot bonded...theoretically, unless anyone can enlighten me why it's a bad idea other than for artistic reasons.
    Can you post a pic of your floored attic?

Yurp, can do, tomorrow though.
    ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that 3 phases.

Why not?
    3 x single phases all completely isolated.
    They can be synced as one but it's very complicated...and a grid tie inverter that's hibernating.

sharp edgrs on the outside to get caught on. cable would be safe thow

406356.JPG

406357.JPG

406358.JPG

406359.JPG

406360.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

To be honest I think you are making this harder than it needs to be and you are going to end up with an unsightly finish with trip hazards all over the place.

You probably would have been better off putting more time into planning the flooring so that if you really wanted access to the cables all you would have to do is lift a narrow strip of wood covering the cable.

Why not?
    3 x single phases all completely isolated.
    They can be synced as one but it's very complicated...and a grid tie inverter that's hibernating.

i have a loads of batteries in my drawer I must have a couple of dozen phases.

You have 230VAC batteries? That's impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

:confused::confused:

You have 3 different voltages maybe?

• Advertisement

You have 230VAC batteries? That's impressive.

I just need to add an invertor.

I have 3 phases in my house, one from the grid two homebrew off batteries...

via a 2.5kVA battery inverter and a 6kVA battery inverter
    making 3 phases at 230VAC

Also....
    a 12VDC workshop radial and a 48VDC house supply. Mostly they're a work in progress.

I'm still struggling with these three phases.

via a 2.5kVA battery inverter and a 6kVA battery inverter
    making 3 phases at 230VAC

Also....

Try connecting a 3 phase appliance to that and see what happens. My guess is it will quickly go on fire.

Unless you can come up with a way of ensuring that the 3 "phases" are offset by 120 degrees from each other then you don't have 3 phase...you have 3 supplies. There's a big difference.

I never said I had a 3 phase supply. I said I had 3 phases in the house.

Is a dc supply called a phase now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You're right, kind of. It's just a very confusing terminology.

You have 3 separate mains supplies.

Is a dc supply called a phase now?

No it's only high or low. It was never my intention to suggest it was.

I have three out of sync phases or supplies that all come from different sources. One is the national grid, one is a base load changeover, the last is a heavy consumer changeover. Yes if I cross them things go bang. Two of these supplies are derived from from a 12.5kWh 48VDC battery via inverters

I've tapped the same battery for a 48VDC bus and I have a 12V true DC radial.

...gorsh and all I wanted to know was if floor mounted conduit is kosher in an unoccupied space...

I will have 3 phases tomorrow when I have three cars in the yard.

• Advertisement

You are getting the terminology mixed up. You have 3 supplies...not 3 phases.

How many phases do you see here?:

FNLoZP.png

Advertisement