Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catch 22

• 13-01-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Downloaded this book after seeing it listed quite a bit on the 10 to read before the apocalypse.
    Just 4 chapters in but does the satirical tone remain the whole way through the novel. Just finding it a bit of a slog or is it a thing that ya get into the more ha read?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a work of satire and surrealism so, yes, that's pretty much how it goes from first page to last. If anything, it gets more surreal the more the book develops. I was pretty much hooked from Page One so maybe it's just something you either get or you don't, I know plenty who have no time for it at all.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah if you're struggling to get through it, it's not going to get any better. Personally I absolutely loved it, but I can see why people would find it off-putting. It's a very divisive book!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I gave up on Catch 22 after 80 pages I couldn't take any more of it. Reading it felt like having to endure a really annoying obnoxious individual continually shouting the same joke at you and elbowing you in the side and saying "Funny, isn't it. It's funny this is isn't it" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I found it a bit of a curate's egg. It has its comic moments but it could've done with a good editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

everyone has a different sense of humour but must say Catch 22 is probably my favourite, anyone else who liked it tried Confederacy of Dunces? even funnier in a similar vein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

eric hoone wrote: »
    everyone has a different sense of humour but must say Catch 22 is probably my favourite, anyone else who liked it tried Confederacy of Dunces? even funnier in a similar vein

Confederacy of Dunces has been sitting on my unread bookshelf for a while, that might give me the push to finally go for it. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Conchir wrote: »
    Confederacy of Dunces has been sitting on my unread bookshelf for a while, that might give me the push to finally go for it. Thanks!

I loved Catch-22 but hated Confederacy of Dunces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I loved Catch-22 but hated Confederacy of Dunces.

I won't be too optimistic then... and hopefully we disagree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I nearly gave up on it during the first 100 pages or so but I stuck with it and was glad I did. I think there are very funny moments.

Has anybody read its sequel Closing Time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Catch 22 was the first book of 'cultural importance' that I just stopped reading. It set in trend a motion of not finishing books that I don't enjoy; life being too short to finish books that you don't enjoy.

One great joke, and one fashionable ideological trend, stretched over hundreds of pages of badly written prose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Best book I've ever read.

I probably read it annually and it still gets me every time. Love it.

Catch 22 was the first book of 'cultural importance' that I just stopped reading. It set in trend a motion of not finishing books that I don't enjoy; life being too short to finish books that you don't enjoy.

One great joke, and one fashionable ideological trend, stretched over hundreds of pages of badly written prose.

I did the same with On The Road. A book of pure and unadulterated crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I did the same with On The Road. A book of pure and unadulterated crap.

Ha I also checked out on that one.

Advertisement