Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance brokers

Options
  • 13-01-2017 11:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

Seriously though...is there any advantage to using them other than dealing with a company directly??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Aviva quoted me €2000, a broker got me the same cover with Aviva for €1450.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well i was quoted 770 from my broker and after phoning around myself i got a quote of 720....so i don't know :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good broker can be valuable for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭sporina

hi how does one choose a broker for car insurance? I am in Cork - or can I use one anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

sporina wrote: »
    hi how does one choose a broker for car insurance? I am in Cork - or can I use one anywhere?

You can use any broker in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I used a broker yesterday looking for a quote for my son, not 1 company would insure him out of the 13 they had on their system.

pawrick wrote: »
    You can use any broker in the country

but is there any advantage in meeting them in person? its a lot to cover over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

philstar wrote: »
    Seriously though...is there any advantage to using them other than dealing with a company directly??

using them gives you more quotes, one of which might actually be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

A good broker can be valuable for sure.

Agree completely but there are muppets out there too .
    I was with a broker who was the damn good at what he did .
    You always felt you were getting value.
    He retired and his replacement is quite frankly useless.
    No interest at all . End result is i moved my 4 policys elsewhere.

Op The one thing is will say about them is get them to do the legwork. Find out who their quotes are with and see if you can get a cheaper quote with the same insurance company. if not go with the broker.

but is there any advantage in meeting them in person? its a lot to cover over the phone?

i went to two brokers yday - best quote one could give me was €900 = my renewal fully comp is €686..
    Have to hear back from the other co

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Brokers generally buy a lot of insurance from insurance companies so can buy at a discount. Obviously they add their brokerage charge but if it's still less than direct purchase, use them. If not, don't. A lot of them out there so they are getting the business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Is there a list of recommended brokers in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

philstar wrote: »

I find using a broker, in typical meaning, a painful and inconvenient experience...

If in future you need a certificate of no-claims - the company will not deal with you, you need to go through the broker. You need to alter anything - broker... Etc. And the quotes I was getting through various crowds around never were really competitive.

grogi wrote: »
    I find using a broker, in typical meaning, a painful and inconvenient experience...

If in future you need a certificate of no-claims - the company will not deal with you, you need to go through the broker. You need to alter anything - broker... Etc. And the quotes I was getting through various crowds around never were really competitive.

really, my broker always sends out the no-claims certs and good quotes without fail every year. never has any issues asking for them to check for additional cover etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Skatedude wrote: »
    really, my broker always sends out the no-claims certs and good quotes without fail every year. never has any issues asking for them to check for additional cover etc.

For named driver experience as well?

grogi wrote: »
    For named driver experience as well?

Yep, My mother had 4 years as a named driver, they sent out the letter which they also sent to axa which honored it as a discount when she moved to her own policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I think some posters here misunderstand the role of an insurance broker. When you take out a policy through a broker, they are acting with your authority, to conduct business with an insurer as if they are you.

Therefore, any alterations, requests for documentation etc. must be made through them, as your appointed representatives. They act in your interest securing the best premium they can and interpret the levels of cover, restrictions and shortfalls in any policy using their expertise. The real benefit, in my opinion, in using a broker is when it comes to claims. Most of the issues posters seem to have with insurance companies is related to them being perceived as "screwing them over" if a claim occurs

In my significant experience, this is usually down to 2 things. Either a policyholder hasn't got the full grasp of the reasons insurers make their decisions OR because inexperienced insurance company staff make mistakes and get some things wrong. A good insurance broker can handle both these scenarios and rectify the problem before it festers.

Well and good if you are knowledgeable and confident to deal with those matters yourself but, if you're not, a broker is your best bet.
    Obviously, an insurance broker is like a pint of Guinness, a bad one can .......etc.

i went to two brokers yday - best quote one could give me was €900 = my renewal fully comp is €686..
    Have to hear back from the other co

never heard back from the other broker..

i got my insurance with Axa via AA for €500 - fully comp ..

So not only did they give me their best as higher than what i got in the end, but theirs was higher than what my renewal was..

So much for brokers.. and i went to 2..

never heard back from the other broker..

i got my insurance with Axa via AA for €500 - fully comp ..

So not only did they give me their best as higher than what i got in the end, but theirs was higher than what my renewal was..

So much for brokers.. and i went to 2..

The AA are brokers, so you went to 3 and one of them came through for you

The AA are brokers, so you went to 3 and one of them came through for you

oh - everyday is a school day..
    but how come the other 2 brokers could not even come close price wise?

• Advertisement

oh - everyday is a school day..
    but home come the other 2 brokers could not even come close price wise?

Because brokers have different insurance companies and schemes they have access to. That's why brokers compete with each other and why there are so many out there. They gave you their best price, but 2 of them weren't competitive for your profile

Advertisement