Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC App Cost

Options
  • 14-01-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

All just got my annual renewal, monitoring @ €150 which is ok , query is the annual HKC App @ €99.
    Is there any cheaper way of doing this ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

All just got my annual renewal, monitoring @ €150 which is ok , query is the annual HKC App @ €99.
    Is there any cheaper way of doing this ? Thanks.

That's what a company will charge to manage the sim as HKC only deal with PSA registered installers so if it goes wrong HKC will not deal with the end user only the installer and @ €99 for an 4g Data and text sim card for a year is good value I'd love to get the sim card in my mobile for that a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

stuartkee wrote:
    That's what a company will charge to manage the sim as HKC only deal with PSA registered installers so if it goes wrong HKC will not deal with the end user only the installer and @ €99 for an 4g Data and text sim card for a year is good value I'd love to get the sim card in my mobile for that a year.

They are different services though aren't they.

You get a call when it's monitored , but with the app you don't, but you can remotely inhibit a sensor and reset.

Pros and cons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Stoner wrote: »
    They are different services though aren't they.

You get a call when it's monitored , but with the app you don't, but you can remotely inhibit a sensor and reset.

Pros and cons

He was making the point regarding the app charge only, not comparing the two. The installer has marked up the price a little bit and it covers the maintenance on the sim as HKC won't deal with end users if there's a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

One other thing here to consider as well is that the system pings the server which is better than a land line as if the ping fails you will know about it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have they improved on their notification times on poll fails.
    I always found the 8 hours (and even the 90 minutes on the premium rate)a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Have they improved on their notification times on poll fails.
    I always found the 8 hours (and even the 90 minutes on the premium rate)a bit ridiculous.

It will ping more if you pay more ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Unless its down to minutes I dont see the point.
    Particularly considering the times available on Vanderbilt & GSD for free.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Unless its down to minutes I dont see the point.
    Particularly considering the times available on Vanderbilt & GSD for free.

& Risco

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Yes but them systems you mentioned they are app/data ONLY and also rely on your router having power and your phone having data and they DON'T do texting at the same time as a back up to the app. .

That is right and anyone depending on their router as part of their security system is deluded.

There is a reason Alarm panels have battery back up, that is they keep working in the event of a power failure, however routers do not.

Before anyone suggests putting battery back up or a UPS on their router, then they had better do like wise with their providers cabinet out on the side of their Street.

There is no escaping from the old you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

stuartkee wrote: »
    Yes but them systems you mentioned they are app/data ONLY and also rely on your router having power and your phone having data and they DON'T do texting at the same time as a back up to the app. .

Not all of them. There are multiple was of seeting up multiple paths using Siemens/Vanderbilt systems for much cheaper. (We've discussed this in the sticky.
    Also GSDs comes with an option of GPRS back up at less than than HKC and that has 5 minute polling notification & 1 minute smash & grab notification.
    8 hours or 90 minute notification for poll loss is useless IMO.

Advertisement