Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused about Amazon Drive

• 14-01-2017 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I started a free three month trial of Amazon Cloud Drive. I started uploading about 280 GB of files (my photos and my own music I've recorded).

All of these files are on an external hard drive (actually they're on two, one main one and one as a backup). At first I started to sync the files, but I stopped it when I realised that meant it was making a folder of all these files on my laptop. I then figured out I could upload files directly from the external hard drive without syncing.

I deleted the files that had been created on my laptop but when I did that they were deleted from Amazon too. I found them in the trash and restored them. However when I did that the files appeared back on my laptop again.

My laptop only has a 500 GB hard drive and doesn't have room for all these files. I just want to upload them as a backup in case either of my external hard drives fail. How do I upload these files without Amazon creating a folder on my laptop?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Based on your description, are you using the desktop client? I haven't used it myself, but it sounds like the files are being copied to a 'local' directory first, before being uploaded.

See can you change that to the USB drive (or a copy of some of your data on another drive) as a test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I am using the desktop uploader. I finally figured out that I had to go into settings and untick the boxes that I had set to sync. As soon as I did this it deleted the files from my laptop.

I don't think I'll be sticking with Amazon Drive anyway though. The uploads just freeze up every so often and the only way to get them to start again is to restart the computer. I left my computer running all night only to discover the uploads had paused.

Advertisement