Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi on Macbook Pro losing signal

Options
  • 14-01-2017 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope someone could guide me in the right direction.
    Wifi on Macbook Pro losing signal repeatedly and then comes back after restart, can go at anytime. reckon its on the way out? something on logic board?

I researched and i believe theres a wifi usb dongle one can get to bypass if it it fails, but which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

also, bluetooth is hit n miss on it, using OS X yosemit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Are you sure it is the MacBook and not crappy wifi from the router, caused by interference or distance?

Get a wireless analyser app for your phone (e.g. WiFiFoFum) and see if there are other wireless networks nearby using the same channel as yours. If there are, change your routers wireless channel to an unused number.

Typical channels used are 1, 6 and 11, however if there are other ones in use, pick a channel that is as close to 5 digits away from those in use as you can. For example if there are two networks near you using Channels 1 and 9, then pick 5.

The highest channel is 11. Some will say you can go up to 12 and 13, but those channels are not universally acceptable.

If the router is far away from where the MacBook is, you might want to look at home plugs to bring the wireless network closer to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Are you sure it is the MacBook and not crappy wifi from the router, caused by interference or distance?

Get a wireless analyser app for your phone (e.g. WiFiFoFum) and see if there are other wireless networks nearby using the same channel as yours. If there are, change your routers wireless channel to an unused number.

Typical channels used are 1, 6 and 11, however if there are other ones in use, pick a channel that is as close to 5 digits away from those in use as you can. For example if there are two networks near you using Channels 1 and 9, then pick 5.

The highest channel is 11. Some will say you can go up to 12 and 13, but those channels are not universally acceptable.

If the router is far away from where the MacBook is, you might want to look at home plugs to bring the wireless network closer to you.

hey thanks for your advice but I'm pretty certain its related to macbook pro. I've used the machine at another office miles from here and same issue, today now its going ok for last hour or 2 but god knows when it start acting up again. I'm using hotspot of mobile for wifi when at home, thought like what u said, poor wifi signal etc but at the office theres a fast broadband and still same issue.

any ideas on a wifi usb dongle? theres many on amazon but one thats comfortable with macbook to bypass the hardware one builtin. thanks!

macbook is 2012 model but using since new for almost 4 years now. things do start to go wrong on them, typically logic board related so I'm wary now
    of whats next to go wallop, that bluetooth is a pain though many people have issue with it on apple OS X, its either yosemite or el capitain going by google searches, nobody seems to be able to work out a definite solution. could also be related to the wifi thing going as the chips are all located in the same area of airport afaik. don't make them like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm afraid I don't know much about Apple compatible hardware, so others might chime in to give you help on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wifi and Bluetooth are one radio and antenna. If it fails both may go.

At 4yrs most likely culprit is the antenna cable wearing out in the hinge(assuming apple do it like everyone else). Go to an authorized apple repairer and get it fixed. Lower end of the pricing list as its an easy easy fix.

Advertisement