Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The XX - I see you

• 14-01-2017 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

The XX just released "I see you" yestersay

Coexist I thought was a disappointing 2nd, I have to say the new album is very enjoyable on the first few listens. Any other fans of the new record?

Highlights for me are "on hold", "dangerous", "a violent noise" and "I dare you".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I was a fan of their debut, but this album is underwhelmingly boring and inoffensive. It's just crying out for Jamie xx to do something radical and interesting on it, but instead he seems to take a back seat. I expected more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭steve_r

I gave it a first listen on Fri through Spotify. Enjoyed it, but not to the same extent as the debut.

Don't seem to have an Irish gig coming up to promote it, disapointed as I missed them last time around :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They seem to be playing everywhere but Ireland this spring. Disappointing.
    I like the album. Not as much as the first 2 though.
    Highlights are Brave for You and A Violent Noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll give it a go. Though I've always found The XX to be an overhyped and underwhelming band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

NME Magazine We have a winner!
    2.3k of you voted debut album 'xx' as the band's best record. 'Coexist' came second with 575 votes and new album 'I See You' was in at third with 327.

Nme confirms what is suspected..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

A Violent Noise is a cracking song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thearc

Niceee

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Really disappointing.

A Violent Noise sounds like a Guetta song without a drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've listened to it quite a lot over the last week, and still can't fully decide whether it's a good record or not.

I think it's received a bit more praise from critics than it's really due, but, equally, it doesn't deserve some of the scorn it's got from other quarters; e.g. some of the reviewers on RYM and the likes.

At this stage I'd probably give it a tentative thumbs up. I wouldn't have expected to like it at all, as I had little or no time for what they did previously, but I definitely enjoy some of the more lively songs on the album - Dangerous is a fantastic song, I Dare You is pretty damn good to my ears too - and the production and accumulated details and textures is consistently interesting throughout the record. Although there's no getting away from the average singing and juvenile lyrics which dominate the middle section of the album and even Jamie XX's best efforts can't save.

Advertisement