Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk in GP clinic that accepts medical card in Dublin?

Options
  • 14-01-2017 7:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47

A lot of the walk in clinics seem to have a no-medical-card policy.

Anyone know of one that accepts them?

I'm normally based in Galway where my registered GP is so, I know the HSE will validate it as it's outside the 100km radius.

Thing is, my GP is old school, and won't script me an off-license med (even though it was licensed for years, just recently came off due to cost increase).
    I need to find a walk in GP that's chill and will write it for me.

I've heard good things about the Dundrum Primacare walk in clinic - but I don't know if they accept the med card...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I've heard good things about the Dundrum Primacare walk in clinic - but I don't know if they accept the med card...?

Call and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

So you're looking for a GP who'll essentially break the law so you can avoid paying for something you should.......

....and people wonder why the Medical Scheme has such a bad rep????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it's not licensed for the medical card the pharmacist won't dispense it for 2.50.

Doesn't matter if its prescribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could try an out-of-hours clinic.
    off-license med
    What is this? Do you mean off-label? I can't imagine any doctor but your own agreeing to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Medical cards can only be accepted by another GP in an actual emergency. This isn't one.

You can get a medical card script on a private consultation if the practice can provide them but it's very unlikely this drug is reimbursable anymore. You'll need to pay for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Do you mean that it is off license ie there is no permission from the drug company to prescribe this for a certain indication / problem?

Or do you mean that the medicine is no longer covered by the Medical card scheme.

If it's A, then the GP should not percribe it nor should they be pressurised into prescribing it.

If it B then you can get a script but you will have to pay.

What is the drug out of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 CoolGuy2000

No no, I'm cool with paying for the medicine itself.

Well, not cool, per say, but - it's gotta be done.

As a medical card holder, I don't think I should be obliged to pay for a doctors consultation - and any reputable doctor would agree with me (as they have in the past).

By off license I mean - it must be imported from the UK.
    And also, I would have to pay full cost.

Of course, I can kill two birds with one stone by taking a trip to Fermanagh and getting it for less that half of what I'd pay for it down south.

There was a debate on the newstalk a while back regarding the extortionate costs of medicines in the republic for paying patients.
    There's basically some kind of corruption going on there, and the lady who spoke in defence of it made a pitiful argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

As a medical card holder, I don't think I should be obliged to pay for a doctors consultation - and any reputable doctor would agree with me (as they have in the past).

Of course, I can kill two birds with one stone by taking a trip to Fermanagh and getting it for less that half of what I'd pay for it down south.

There was a debate on the newstalk a while back regarding the extortionate costs of medicines in the republic for paying patients.
    There's basically some kind of corruption going on there, and the lady who spoke in defence of it made a pitiful argument.

What is the name of the medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

As a taxpayer I wholly disagree with your view that you should be entitled not have to pay for this GP visit. This visit to the GP is not an emergency, yet you are expecting the taxpayer to pick up the tab for a discretionary visit.

AFAIK there is no reason why your GP in Galway can't give you a script for medicine that you will pay out of pocket unless it is of their opinion it is completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a medical card holder, I don't think I should be obliged to pay for a doctors consultation

You're not - with your registered GP.

If you are unhappy with them, you can request a transfer.

You are only allowed emergency visits with another GP and this is no emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 CoolGuy2000

Arbie wrote: »

What is the name of the medicine?

I'm not at liberty to discuss that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

newacc2015 wrote: »

As a taxpayer I wholly disagree with your view that you should be entitled not have to pay for this GP visit. This visit to the GP is not an emergency, yet you are expecting the taxpayer to pick up the tab for a discretionary visit.

AFAIK there is no reason why your GP in Galway can't give you a script for medicine that you will pay out of pocket unless it is of their opinion it is completely unnecessary.
    I agree with newacc2015.
    Tax papers should not have to foot the bill for this consultation.
    The fact that you are looking for a chill GP and you are not at liberty to discuss the medicine means that it is some kind of cosmetic medication or something questionable
    If you have a medical card then you should obtain your medical services from one GP. 'Emergency' visits to chill GP s cost the state extra money as the secind GP has to be paid for their time. and you should be paying for this yourself. Otherwise you are using up money that should be used for disabled/ cancer patients on something that you are not at liberty to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Wesser wrote:
    I agree with newacc2015. Tax papers should not have to foot the bill for this consultation. The fact that you are looking for a chill GP and you are not at liberty to discuss the medicine means that it is some kind of cosmetic medication or something questionable If you have a medical card then you should obtain your medical services from one GP. 'Emergency' visits to chill GP s cost the state extra money as the secind GP has to be paid for their time. and you should be paying for this yourself. Otherwise you are using up money that should be used for disabled/ cancer patients on something that you are not at liberty to say.

In fairness, why would anyone want their medical issues on a very public forum? There's a reason doctors are sworn to confidentiality, and I don't see why someone refusing to say what drug they need needs to be anything more than they don't like people knowing, as would most people. What is the point in asking the OP what drug he needs? It does nothing for the discussion and the OP was right to refuse to tell ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If they needed the drug then their own GP would be prescribing it though, no?

Advertisement