Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Paul Heyman get the respect that he deserves?

Options
  • 14-01-2017 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Took over the booking of a regional wrestling company and made them national.

He could get the best out of limited talents and could still make us care for them. Think Sandman or Balls Mahoney.

He also booked some serious wrestling talent, legendary workers like Guerrero, Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, Rey, Jericho all worked in ECW.

His crowning moment for me was making Taz.

In reality Taz is a short, stocky New York Italian. However Heyman made him the baddest man on the planet, the promos, the music, the way he held himself.

Like I alluded to above he highlighted all of his talents strengths and masked their weaknesses in an expert fashion.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think he will go down as a great of the industry as he is both one of the greatest managers (advocate) of all time but also so much more. From ECW to SD head writer during the SD 6 era he has had a huge impact and even to this day people still want to see him have a bigger role both on screen and behind the scenes. He will also no doubt be a HOFer whenever the powers that be decide to make him one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

To wrestling fans who are not WWE fan boys he does yes definitely but in the so called WWE universe no he doesn't.

I've always thought Vince jealous of him for being a real promoter which is ironic cos Paul is probably jealous of McMahon money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I got tired of his on screen character and promos a while ago.. but I still think he's great, i just want to see him do something else other than stand in the ring and shout at me, it's a real pity hes tied up with Brock still

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

smilerf wrote: »
    To wrestling fans who are not WWE fan boys he does yes definitely but in the so called WWE universe no he doesn't.

I've always thought Vince jealous of him for being a real promoter which is ironic cos Paul is probably jealous of McMahon money

I think the success he had as SD head writer might of rattled Vince a bit.

Might of being part of the reason why they decided to relaunch the ECW brand in WWE, and put the restraints on Paul (breaking point occurring before the December to Dismember PPV in 06), they revived his baby and then killed it on live television over the course of 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Definitely gets the respect he deserves, if anything he veers closer to people having too high an opinion of him and forgetting the mistakes he made, although I don't think he's crossed that line.

One of the all time great managers for sure but his shtick is old and repetitive now, and I'd be happy for him to either do something else or him and Brock to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

correction wrote: »
    Definitely gets the respect he deserves, if anything he veers closer to people having too high an opinion of him and forgetting the mistakes he made, although I don't think he's crossed that line.

One of the all time great managers for sure but his shtick is old and repetitive now, and I'd be happy for him to either do something else or him and Brock to go away.

I'd go with this. If anything I think his run as head booker of ECW is remembered rather romantically than it actually was. He did help in making stars and tapped into a rabid, adult audience that, at the time, were not having their needs met by the family orientated WWF or the topsy turvy WCW. For that he does deserve credit, but if you watch back through those ECW shows you'll see plenty of muck for the bits of gold in there. I also think it's very fair to say that ECW really has not aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think it's a two-sided coin with Hayman.
    On one hand all the accomplishments he did in wrestling. As others said.

But then on the other hand he stiffed people over on money and lied to their face.

So I dunno... I respect some of the things the man did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think he's been pretty much whitewashed by WWE these days in their desire to cash in on the ECW brand. Saint Paul never ripped anybody off and ECW's failings were all down to big bad Eric and WCW.

Edit: the thing I'd actually give him most credit for is sticking to Lesnar like a leech. He spotted that cash cow early.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yes he does/ End Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For me, Heyman is a strange one. As an Advocate, he works ok, if with the right person, like Punk or Brock. But the Heyman rub doesn't always work (insert Cesaro). I'd love to see Dean Ambrose with Paul though.

As a booker, some things worked, others didn't. I will always remember his time over Smackdown as being Mega though.

You gotta admit though, he's kinda excelled at everything he's done. Even commentating for WWE, I thought he was great alongside JR.

I think he is happy in his role right now, and doesn't want any bigger part in the WWE machine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think as long as Brock is around anyone would always seem secondary as a Heyman guy and therefore not get pushed to their potential most likely.

Advertisement