Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel line up - Sky vs Vodafone vs Eir

• 14-01-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Anyone of a channel line up to compare the original and variety packages....?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky has more than everyone else, basically.

Channels available on Vodafone that are not on Sky would essentially be the Box Plus Network channels and the two BBC News channels. Even so all of those (except BBC World News which isn't on Astra) can be tuned in via Other Channels. Also you get Eir Sport 1 in the basic pack.

For eir the big reason to go with them is to get all the Eir Sport, BT Sport, and Premier Sports channels in the basic pack. Even so you could take Eir broadband with Sky for the same effect. Afaik every channel on Eir bar BBC News (which can be tuned in) is on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

icdg wrote: »
    Sky has more than everyone else, basically.

Channels available on Vodafone that are not on Sky would essentially be the Box Plus Network channels and the two BBC News channels. Even so all of those (except BBC World News which isn't on Astra) can be tuned in via Other Channels. Also you get Eir Sport 1 in the basic pack.

For eir the big reason to go with them is to get all the Eir Sport, BT Sport, and Premier Sports channels in the basic pack. Even so you could take Eir broadband with Sky for the same effect. Afaik every channel on Eir bar BBC News (which can be tuned in) is on Sky.

I'm on Sky and thinking of changing away from them so I'm trying to figure out what I would loose and whether I would miss any of those channels or not if I moved to either VF or Eir.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I'm on Sky and thinking of changing away from them so I'm trying to figure out what I would loose and whether I would miss any of those channels or not if I moved to either VF or Eir.....?

I have Vodafone TV. Great PVR, slick, nice EPG etc, every bit as good as SKY
    +, which I had for 10+ years before I switched. Wireless additional box for €5 a month great value, BUT, channel wise, I have a big problem with the fact that there is NO TV3, TG4, BBC2 and Discovery in HD, which are all in HD on eir and Sky. I have spoken to Vodafone about this and they promise more HD channels this year, but as it's a pay tv platform, you would expect these channels in HD already. If they are not in HD when my contract is up in November, I will more than likely switch back to Sky or possibly switch to eir vision, and maybe pick up a free 32 inch tv or whatever they are offering to new subscribers by then. Having BBC News on the EPG is nice and Sky News was added last Sept, but alas only in SD. Also, all the Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels, which are an additional cost obviously, are only in SD too. You need to ask people what the eir box is like, as a PVR, before you make your mind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ctlsleh wrote: »

Talk to sky loyalty dept. Neither eir or Vodafone to is a patch on what you have, channels aside.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

I have access to both as I have Virgin in my own place and Sky is at my parents and in my opinion Sky wins hands down, the channel choice and ability to tune in fta make it so much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement