Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Nights in New York

Options
  • 14-01-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Trying to plan a trip to the US at the moment. Planning on doing Chicago (to visit relatives), Miami/Key West and New York.

Where is the best places to stay in New York? I've never been to the city before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anywhere around Times Square is super central. I'm heading over next week and staying in the Paramount. Was there in November and stayed in the W just around the corner that time. Both dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll need plenty of stamina to do 5 nights in New York, especially if you're going to do Chicago on the same trip, both cities involve a lot of walking, even if you use the subways. If your sequence is the way you listed the places then it will probably work but take it handy in Miami/Key West, lots of poolside R & R. I've never done more than three nights in NYC (four visits) and it was enough each time, couldn't see myself doing another 48 hours, ditto for Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Key West is lovely; if you go, have food at The Stoned Crab - it's well away from the historic district and attached to a old motel style hotel but the food was gorgeous.

If heading to New York, my advice would be to decide what you want your hotel to be? Will you have kids with you meaning that a kitchenette or sitting room would be of use (Doubletree Suites type place or some of the Affinias). Do you wan to hang out with the lovely people and have the attractions of a private club (Soho House NY). Do y ou want to spend as little time there as possible meaning it's just a bed and a shower. Do you want some outside space but still a midtown location (Bryant Park Hotel). Do you want to be in achingly cool parts of lower Manhattan or in a famous hotel (e.g. Algonquin)?

For Chicago, stay as close to the miracle mile or in the Loop would be my advice.

Miami is a city of vastly different areas - downtown hotels or South Beach might as well be on different planets. What is your preference?

Advertisement