Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The word "awful" has completely changed from it's original meaning. In the 14th century it referred to inspiring wonder as a short version of “full of awe”. Nowadays the word has purely negative connotations.

There's a church somewhere in Ireland with a plaque that says "this is an aweful place"
    Must be in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fourier wrote: »
    Okay I promised to stay away from the head melting nonsense, but this is quick I promise.:D

Despite what multiple Sci-Fis show, you can't copy/clone information at an atomic level, it's literally impossible. So things like transporters or replicators from Star Trek can't happen. For similar reasons it may not be possible to upload your mind to a computer.

Nooooo! Copypasta is real!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It might be literally impossible, but it's most definitely literarily possible. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I bet you didn't know that Lyons tea bags are made from cow manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I bet you didn't know that Lyons tea bags are made from cow manure.

Explains the taste.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Traditional Indian belief required speaking 100% correctly to the gods, mistakes equivalent to "you're" vs "your" could have lethal consequences. For this reason Pāṇini (~350 BC) created a sequence of poems that tell you how to "compute" the correct grammar in any given situation, as they form a grammar generating algorithm. These algorithms form the basis of computational work on grammar today, even in google translate.

I'm calling BS on this. Computer translation uses AI which has been trained with billions of sentence pairs to help it learn sentence structure. It's still piss poor compared to human translation because language is not always logical and context is incredibly important to the meaning. The idea that rules of grammar across many languages can be unified is ridiculous. Even English grammar is inconsistent with itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

david75 wrote: »
    The Americanism ‘you dig?’ Comes from The Irish ‘dtuigeann tú?’
    Some guy write a book on Irish phrases that morphed into every day American terms.

'So long' as in farewell, comes from 'slán' (I only heard that last week)

'thats smashing' ---- is maith sin

'mocassin' as in the shoes
    mo cosan (my feet, in Scots Gaelic I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on this. Computer translation uses AI which has been trained with billions of sentence pairs to help it learn sentence structure.
    I choose my wording for a reason, computational work on grammar not translation. The same class of algorithms are used in google translate in consistency checks of its underlying bytecode language.
    It's still piss poor compared to human translation because language is not always logical and context is incredibly important to the meaning.
    Of course, again my post is unrelated to translation, purely grammar. For example semantics is not discussed, as it isn't in the original Indian works.
    The idea that rules of grammar across many languages can be unified is ridiculous. Even English grammar is inconsistent with itself.
    I never said the rules of grammar can be unified (where is this stuff coming from?) Just that Pāṇini created algorithms which generate the grammar of a non-spoken early Indic language. And that these algorithms are used today in computational grammar.

Claims about semantics or translation accuracy or language unification don't enter my post and I do not understand how the post is BS. What exactly do you think Pāṇini did?

Even English grammar is inconsistent with itself.
    I forgot to focus on this, you realise there are computational grammars of English, I can link to examples. The grammar need not be consistent or logical to be computed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

'So long' as in farewell, comes from 'slán' (I only heard that last week)

'thats smashing' ---- is maith sin

'mocassin' as in the shoes
    mo cosan (my feet, in Scots Gaelic I think)

The first two are often cited in the etymology of the words but are not definite. Moccasin is certainly not from Gaelic as it's a derivation of shoe from several central and east coast American Indian languages, for example Algonquian = mockasin and Powhatan = makasin. First written in English in the early 1600s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

What exactly do you think Pāṇini did?

Sandwiches?

Actually I jest ^. According to wiki Fourier has indeed got a point

Pāṇini's grammar is the world's first formal system, developed well before the 19th century innovations of Gottlob Frege and the subsequent development of mathematical logic. In designing his grammar, Pāṇini used the method of "auxiliary symbols", in which new affixes are designated to mark syntactic categories and the control of grammatical derivations. This technique, rediscovered by the logician Emil Post, became a standard method in the design of computer programming languages.[63] Sanskritists now accept that Pāṇini's linguistic apparatus is well-described as an "applied" Post system. Considerable evidence shows ancient mastery of context-sensitive grammars, and a general ability to solve many complex problems. Frits Staal has written that "Panini is the Indian Euclid."

Although the grammar of computer languages is not as complex as normal language, I assume that Sanskrit breaks that rule, Fourier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pāṇini

Although the grammar of computer languages is not as complex as normal language, I assume that Sanskrit breaks that rule, Fourier?
    I'm definitely not going to pretend to any knowledge of Sanskrit. I'm more familiar with Pāṇini's work from the mathematical end, I.e. as a type of Emil Post's systems, as discussed in your link.

What I do know is that Sanskrit is, in some sense I don't understand as a non-linguist, too regular or elegant to be a natural language reflecting its "generated" nature.

The first two are often cited in the etymology of the words but are not definite. Moccasin is certainly not from Gaelic as it's a derivation of shoe from several central and east coast American Indian languages, for example Algonquian = mockasin and Powhatan = makasin. First written in English in the early 1600s.

I think a lot of this fake etymology is finding similar sounding words in the favoured language and assuming they influenced English. Irish doesnt seem to have really influenced English (certainly not British English) all that much.

I used to think shanty was from Sean Tí based on nothing more than the similarty of name and meaing. The most accepted evidence is it is from the French chantier

I'm definitely not going to pretend to any knowledge of Sanskrit. I'm more familiar with Pāṇini's work from the mathematical end, I.e. as a type of Emil Post's systems, as discussed in your link.

What I do know is that Sanskrit is, in some sense I don't understand as a non-linguist, too regular or elegant to be a natural language reflecting its "generated" nature.

Irregular verbs are, I assume, removed.

Humans according to Chomsky are built for learning regular verbs. Without being told children will pick up grammatical rules and use them without being told. No child says "I goed" because they heard it, or because they were taught formal grammar, but because they picked up that adding "ed" is the normal regular past tense.

This doesnt seem to be conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I think a lot of this fake etymology is finding similar sounding words in the favoured language and assuming they influenced English. Irish doesnt seem to have really influenced English (certainly not British English) all that much.

I used to think shanty was from Sean Tí based on nothing more than the similarty of name and meaing. The most accepted evidence is it is from the French chantier

Ironically, 'Tory' comes from 'toraidhe' - a 17th century Irish word for a rebel or outlaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Do you have a source Fourier? I spent some time looking for any evidence of Paninian Framework usage in MT, and the only reference I found was for Anusaaraka, an application specifically for English to Indian languages such as Sanskrit and Urdu.

I have found no evidence of it being used by Google's GNMT, Bing Translate or any other commercial MT system.

I heard the moccasin claim from someone who believes that the Irish and Scottish were in North America long before the British.

I heard the moccasin claim from someone who believes that the Irish and Scottish were in North America long before the British.

And influenced the language of dozens of native tribes right into centre of the continent, who all use a form of the word? Extremely unlikely.

But we did give the English language hooligan and slob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And boycott and galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And smithereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Which came first, the French garçon or or the Irish gosson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

david75 wrote: »
    The Americanism ‘you dig?’ Comes from The Irish ‘dtuigeann tú?’
    Some guy write a book on Irish phrases that morphed into every day American terms.

He also got ripped to shreds by linguists for the majority of it.

https://grantbarrett.com/humdinger-of-a-bad-irish-scholar/
    http://www.michaelpatrickbrady.com/blog/complete-blarney-daniel-cassidys-how-the-irish-invented-slang/

Which came first, the French garçon or or the Irish gosson?

The Irish comes from the French.

the Irish word for plane is eitleán, and I always wondered if it had any link to the word 'echelon', as in 'the upper echelons of society'... echelon being a French word meaning a rung on a ladder, which refers to climbing upwards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm calling BS on this. Computer translation uses AI which has been trained with billions of sentence pairs to help it learn sentence structure. It's still piss poor compared to human translation because language is not always logical and context is incredibly important to the meaning. The idea that rules of grammar across many languages can be unified is ridiculous. Even English grammar is inconsistent with itself.
    Eliza still holds up well when you consider how old and dumb it is. A few hundred lines of code and word lists from the 1960's.

Today's AI's are better.
    But they aren't anything like 50 years and insanely more processing power better.
    http://psych.fullerton.edu/mbirnbaum/psych101/Eliza.htm

Do you have a source Fourier? I spent some time looking for any evidence of Paninian Framework usage in MT, and the only reference I found was for Anusaaraka, an application specifically for English to Indian languages such as Sanskrit and Urdu.

I have found no evidence of it being used by Google's GNMT, Bing Translate or any other commercial MT system.
    I had another post for this, but I'm trying to phrase it better. What is your contention with my original post. In your first post it seems to be that languages can't be unified and that computers can't make perfect translations because of context. I expressed my confusion with this as I was not discussing translation, which involves semantics, or the grammatical unification of languages. Now your saying Pāṇini's framework isn't in google translate, a point not present in your previous post. Which of these is the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

the Irish word for plane is eitleán, and I always wondered if it had any link to the word 'echelon', as in 'the upper echelons of society'... echelon being a French word meaning a rung on a ladder, which refers to climbing upwards.

The Irish word for car is carr, it always seemed to me to be one of those words they put no effort into making up an Irish word from English.
    The words come from the same as those for carriage and chariot which come from the Gaulish word carrus.
    Also the word carpenter originated as a term for someone who makes carriages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ipso wrote: »
    The Irish word for car is carr, it always seemed to me to be one of those words they put no effort into making up an Irish word from English.
    The words come from the same as those for carriage and chariot which come from the Gaulish word carrus.
    Also the word carpenter originated as a term for someone who makes carriages.

Thought Car was Glustáin

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement