Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Same goes with Mitsubishi.
    Honda is the largest manufacturer of engines in the world, from chainsaws to cars to boats and now jets. And the only independent big name in bike and car production. And oddly one of the biggest transporters of soybeans of all things. Back in the day the founder noted that their ships transporting cars to the US of A were coming back empty and this was a waste, so he organised that they'd transport other goods back to Japan, the biggest success turned out to be soybeans.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What's the latin for 'use your *ecking indicators' :D
    BMW? Oh wait, defo not. :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What's the latin for 'use your *ecking indicators' :D

uti futu** Indicatores.

Doesn't really have a ring to it.

British Racing Green that was once applied to British racing cars, originally came about because some were painted the colour of British steam trains, but it really stuck when in the very earliest days of motor racing, they tried to organise a road race in England, but the law at the time restricted speed on the public roads, so they came to Ireland(when it was still part of the UK) where there was no such restriction and they were welcomed. In gratitude for this the British team decided to paint all their cars green in honour of the host country. Though officially blue is the Irish national colour.

Other earlier national race car colours were Red for America, White for Germany and IIRC France got blue. As the years turned Italy grabbed Red for itself, Germany stopped painting their cars entirely so left them bare metal Silver which stuck and the Japanese, specifically Honda grabbed White, as that is the national colour of Japan. "Championship White" as only applied to Honda's Type R series of cars(with the red badges) commemorates this and their first F1 win back in the early 60's. Originally the colour applied was not about where the car was built, but the driver/team that entered the car. So British teams fielding Italian race cars would paint them Green.

National colours started to fade away as more and more advertising revenue came along as costs got ever bigger, slowly but surely crowding out the colours with adverts. Though Ferrari and Mercedes keep the hints of the old schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

In my youth ,every now and again,I would hear thunder some mornings and remember asking the parents why thunder would happen at the same time on different days.years later I reckoned it was Concorde passing the extreme south west coast of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In Jane Eyre Rochester has a woman in his attic, who the novel portrays as a crazy person that he has had to mind and who is driving him crazy. That woman is from the Caribbean, she is not really voiced or paid any attention to, but she embodies the economic underpinnings of Rochester's position in society, which has been gained through brutalisation of her people.
    Bertha is a Creole from a wealthy family. This means a person born in the Caribbean - she is probably white, with no native or black ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

goose2005 wrote: »
    Bertha is a Creole from a wealthy family. This means a person born in the Caribbean - she is probably white, with no native or black ancestry.

Another famous Creole...Josephine de Beauharnais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

kingchess wrote: »
    In my youth ,every now and again,I would hear thunder some mornings and remember asking the parents why thunder would happen at the same time on different days.years later I reckoned it was Concorde passing the extreme south west coast of Cork.

I could be wayyy off here but the time of 11.10 sticks in my mind for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Vito Corleone is the only character to earn 2 Oscars for 2 different people. Brando and De Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Michael Jackson never managed to top the us billboard singles chart for the most consecutive weeks during a calendar year, however his sister Janet did twice, in 1989 and again in 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

The Toyota GT86 was a tribute to the Toyota Corolla AE86...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

job seeker wrote: »
    The Toyota GT86 was a tribute to the Toyota Corolla AE86...

Pure speculation.

Do you have a link to support your statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Candie wrote: »
    Every time I see it I'm struck by just how beautiful a bird the Concorde was. It's just such a gorgeous triumph of aviation engineering, so impossibly elegant.

I don’t actually like it that much. Hard to explain but the proportions are not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Something is a little “off”.

I much MUCH prefer the jumbo jet. That’s a more impressive feat of elegance to me. Curves in all the right places. The tapered back end. To make a big bird look so good is impressive to me.

And Concorde was supposedly very noisy and bumpy to fly on. I feel like if it had been commercially-successful, they would have perfected the design in a later model. Just not quite there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Vito Corleone is the only character to earn 2 Oscars for 2 different people. Brando and De Niro.

Rose in Titanic. Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I remember seeing it take off on probably a test flight in maybe 1972-3 from about 10-15 miles away from RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire

I was a very little boy in 1974 when Berlin (West) opened its international airport in Tegel. My parents were living just around the corner from it. No more than 3 or 4 bus stations.
    Berlin-Tegel was in the French sector and not only was it Berlin's new international airport but it had a military section for the French whose barracks were adjacent to it. The Americans had Tempelhof and the Brits had Gatow, the French had none up to that point.
    Anyway, the French celebrated the grand opening day by bringing the Concorde in.
    I don't remember much from when I was that little but the Concorde stayed with me forever.

Just a little aspect of this engineering feat is the fact that when she is travelling at Mach 2 the length of the fuselage extends by over 2 metres as she is heating up due to air friction. Imagine allowing for that! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Neither won though.

Plenty of times the same character has been nominated.

Vito was the only time the same character has won.

Just a little aspect of this engineering feat is the fact that when she is travelling at Mach 2 the length of the fuselage extends by over 2 metres as she is heating up due to air friction. Imagine allowing for that! :eek:
    More like 5 - 10 inches in old money, not over 6 feet. Still impressive though. One trick the flight engineer would do would be to shove the flight manuals between the control panel and the bulkhead in flight and as the aircraft shrunk back down on descent they would be solidly held in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wibbs wrote: »
    More like 5 - 10 inches in old money, not over 6 feet. Still impressive though. One trick the flight engineer would do would be to shove the flight manuals between the control panel and the bulkhead in flight and as the aircraft shrunk back down on descent they would be solidly held in place.

I wasn't certain by how much actually, just remember this from the past. And I thought it was up to 1 metre originally. Tried to look it up briefly before I posted and there are claims its more than 2 metres. Which I find hard to believe myself.

Found a nice picture though.

main-qimg-de8875abbbaa1104d4318730bed31343

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wibbs wrote: »

I think one of the pilots mentioned in the documentary about the final flight that a space was created where he could put his hat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

Got a tour of Concorde at JFK from my aunt who worked for BA. Remember being struck by how small it was in the cabin. I got one of the souvenir packages with all the stationary and the MACH certificate (unsigned by the captain). The biggest bummer was that the flight was fully booked and had there been a seat available i would have flown home on Concorde, but alas I had to make do with 1st class on the 747 (which was more expensive than a Concorde seat). It's amazing to think that humanity has actually gone backwards regarding air travel. Is it just a myth that the RAF never had a jet faster than Concorde while it was in service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gloria stuart was nominated but didnt win the oscar. Kim Basinger won it that year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Gloria stuart was nominated but didnt win the oscar. Kim Basinger won it that year.

Neither did Kate Winslet. Helen Hunt did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ballstein wrote: »
    Is it just a myth that the RAF never had a jet faster than Concorde while it was in service?

myth surely? the tornado could do mach 2.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The Concorde max speed was Mach 2. How far we’ve regressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Teleconferencing played a part too - not as big a need to travel for those CEOs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ah yes The two great empires, Britain and the french. Where would the world be today without all of their inventions and inovations.

Great people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

1985, Phil Collins Performed at Live Aid in Wembly,
    then got a helicopter Heathrow Airport
    and from there by Concorde to play in the American portion of Live Aid in Philadelphia

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Cartouche wrote: »
    Eg: you don't need to be great at maths to be an architect

this is obvious to me but everyone says to me "i wanted to be an architect but i was bad at math,i can barely add"
    And that's what structural engineers are for - to take an architect's drawing and try to make it stand up. I remember reading architect Rem Koolhaas's comments about the China Central Television Headquarters: he kept expecting the structural engineers to say "no" and was fairly shocked when they calculated that it could be built. It hasn't fallen down yet.

When I studied structural engineering, we covered some of the ways engineers have gotten it wrong, such as the Citigroup Center building in New York. Serious structural design flaws were found a year after it had been completed and occupied, and had they not been fixed, it could have fallen over in a strong wind from certain directions. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement