Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

New Home wrote: »
    The official definition of 1 second is based on a quantum mechanical phenomenon, namely "the duration of 9,192,631,770 oscillations of a Caesium 133 atom's outermost electron".

"I'll be back in a jiffy!"

In astrophysics and quantum physics a jiffy is, as defined by Edward R. Harrison, the time it takes for light to travel one fermi, which is approximately the size of a nucleon. One fermi is 10−15 m, so a jiffy is about 3 × 10−24 seconds. It has also more informally been defined as "one light-foot", which is equal to approximately one nanosecond

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

quickbeam wrote: »
    Neither won though.

Plenty of times the same character has been nominated.

Vito was the only time the same character has won.

Only 3 films have managed to win the clean sweep at the Academy Awards.
    The clean sweep being where it wins for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay (either adapted or original).

It Happened One Night (1934)
    One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

A total of 43 films have been nominated in those 5 categories with only 3 completing the 'sweep'.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

The words "an apron" used to be "a napron", and the Irish word for apron is still "naprún". Same goes for the words "an orange/a norange" (think "naranja" in Spanish).

In English, the colour orange used to be referred to as red, hence we talk about a robin "red"breast even though its colour is far closer to orange. Same applies to people, when you think about it - the only ones you can truthfully describe as having red hair got it from a bottle. In fact, the word "oráiste" in Irish should really only refer to the fruit - the closest equivalents for the actual colour are "flannbhuí" or "rua".

Nowadays, the word "rua" is usually translated as red, but in Irish it's normally only used to describe living creatures (mainly vertebrates, as far as I can recall).  Madadh/madra rua, a red dog, is a fox.  An Cheircín Bheag Rua is the Little Red Hen.  Using dearg is more frequently (but not exclusively) used for inanimate objects - carr dearg/teach dearg (red car/house) etc.  Dearg is also used to indicate that something is unusual, intense or significant.  "Bhí an t-ádh dearg ort" - you were incredibly lucky.  But "cailleach dearg" is a poppy, while "cailleach" on its own means an old woman ... or a witch!

In the old Irish tradition, far from getting abuse for being "ginger", red-haired people were considered to be noble.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Oldtree wrote: »
    Keeping with the map theme

Between 1829 and 1842 the first ever large-scale survey of Ireland was done and these historical maps can be seen on the OSI website.

All over the country, surveyors marks from this survey can be found. Near us there is one of these surveyors marks carved into the bottom part of a hand hewn limestone gate post, on the road side.

This is an example of that mark.

BmEd.jpg

And if it's below sea level the arrow is inverted. This is rare outdoors, but many mines go below sea level.

Originally they just used the straight line, the arrow was added later to help locate the line in areas where the line was susceptible to being rubbed off, by weather or by cattle using the stone as a rubbing post.

Almost all benchmarks had their arrows retrofitted, there are almost none left in their original condition. Although surveyors now use GPS poles as standard, they still use the benchmarks as a guidance to measure against historical data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mr chips wrote: »
    The words "an apron" used to be "a napron", and the Irish word for apron is still "naprún". Same goes for the words "an orange/a norange" (think "naranja" in Spanish).

In English, the colour orange used to be referred to as red, hence we talk about a robin "red"breast even though its colour is far closer to orange. Same applies to people, when you think about it - the only ones you can truthfully describe as having red hair got it from a bottle. In fact, the word "oráiste" in Irish should really only refer to the fruit - the closest equivalents for the actual colour are "flannbhuí" or "rua".

Nowadays, the word "rua" is usually translated as red, but in Irish it's normally only used to describe living creatures (mainly vertebrates, as far as I can recall). Madadh/madra rua, a red dog, is a fox. An Cheircín Bheag Rua is the Little Red Hen. Using dearg is more frequently (but not exclusively) used for inanimate objects - carr dearg/teach dearg (red car/house) etc. Dearg is also used to indicate that something is unusual, intense or significant. "Bhí an t-ádh dearg ort" - you were incredibly lucky. But "cailleach dearg" is a poppy, while "cailleach" on its own means an old woman ... or a witch!

In the old Irish tradition, far from getting abuse for being "ginger", red-haired people were considered to be noble.

I read that the Char family of fish are named after an old celtic word for red (as their bellies turn red around spawning time, they look amazing). Dearg and char sound similar but may be coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

valoren wrote: »
    Only 3 films have managed to win the clean sweep at the Academy Awards.
    The clean sweep being where it wins for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay (either adapted or original).

It Happened One Night (1934)
    One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

A total of 43 films have been nominated in those 5 categories with only 3 completing the 'sweep'.

Lord of the rings return of the king got a clean sweep. It won all 11 Oscars it was was nominated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

david75 wrote: »
    Lord of the rings return of the king got a clean sweep. It won all 11 Oscars it was was nominated for.

But a clean sweep specifically refers to Best picture, director, actor, actress, and screenplay. LOTR didn't get actor or actress.

But a clean sweep specifically refers to Best picture, director, actor, actress, and screenplay. LOTR didn't get actor or actress.

Says who? Makes more sense for a clean seeep to mean winning all awards you’re nominated for.

Speilberg opened the envelope on the best film award they won and he said ‘it’s a clean sweep. Lord of the rings return of the king’.

Semantics. But anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Makes more sense for a clean seeep to mean winning all awards you’re nominated for.

Hardly seems like a clean sweep if a movie gets the one category it was nominated for ??

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Hardly seems like a clean sweep if a movie gets the one category it was nominated for ??

Can't beat a 100% success rate!

• Advertisement

Says who? Makes more sense for a clean seeep to mean winning all awards you’re nominated for.

I dunno who says it, but those five awards are widely regarded as the big ones for any movie, and that was the criteria the person you were responding to was specifying.

I mean, a grand slam in tennis refers to winning the Aussie, French, US and Wimbledon championships. I dunno who says it, but that's what it is. I once won the Kilkenny club championships, the only one I ever entered. It doesn't mean I won a grand slam.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you mean, but going on the criteria that the five most prestigious Oscars are what constitute a clean sweep, then LOTR didn't win it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I seem to remember that Enya was nominated for an Oscar for her songs in The Lord of The Ring, but lost out to Randy Newman. So, would have that been the 12th Oscar nomination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

New Home wrote: »
    I seem to remember that Enya was nominated for an Oscar for her songs in The Lord of The Ring, but lost out to Randy Newman. So, would have that been the 12th Oscar nomination?

She sang in the first film in the trilogy, the 11 Oscars were for the third.

It was nominated in 11 categories and won all 11 awards. Including best picture.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

She sang in the first film in the trilogy, the 11 Oscars were for the third.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks. :)

It was nominated in 11 categories and won all 11 awards. Including best picture.
    Yeah but by your definition, any movie with one nomination that wins that award would have gotten a clean sweep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But not in the categories required for the sweep.

It's like you maintained a tennis player won the French Open, Hong Kong Open, and the Joberg Open and call it a Grand Slam.

Oh god.

Show me in the academys rules, and they have many many rules, what defines clean sweep and come back and we’ll Talk.

I have a sneaking suspicion you might find clean sweep is just a generalised term for any film nominated across multiple categories.*and winning all those categories And no. Not just one I’d imagine.

It’s a clean sweep (jump to 1:20)
    (Don’t mind if I’ll take Spielberg’s word over anyone here. He’s a little bit more in the know about this stuff).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Oh god.

Show me in the academys rules, and they have many many rules, what defines clean sweep and come back and we’ll Talk.

I have a sneaking suspicion you might find clean sweep is just a generalised term for any film nominated across multiple categories.*and winning all those categories And no. Not just one I’d imagine.

Dude. Can you stop stomping over what was a great thread.

The guy you posted defined the clean sweep as all major categories. The big 5. That was what he was talking about. Nobody gives a **** about your definition. It wasn’t relevant.

• Advertisement

Dude. Can you stop stomping over what was a great thread.

The guy you posted defined the clean sweep as all major categories. The big 5. That was what he was talking about. Nobody gives a **** about your definition. It wasn’t relevant.

Just responding to some factually incorrect knit picking. Knew I shouldn’t have. As you were :)

Just responding to some factually incorrect knit picking. Knew I shouldn’t have. As you were :)

Not to nit pick, but shouldn't it be nit picking.
    Sorry, as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

mr chips wrote:
    ...hence we talk about a robin "red"breast even though its colour is far closer to orange...

If I remember QI correctly, red-breast was a nick-name for postmen n England (royal mail red). And was later applied to robins as the robin grew in popularity on the Christmas cards (which the red-breast s delivered).
    But yea, the word orange was used to describe red things before word red was used.

There was something about horses and dogs being described as "blue" too, but I forget the details....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

valoren wrote: »
    "I'll be back in a jiffy!"
    "As big as a barn"

In nuclear physics a barn is an area of 10 to the minus 28 square meters.
    It's small.

A moment was originally about 90 seconds based on daylight

And a moment had 12 ounces of 47 atoms each.

Of course today we know there are more then 47 atoms in an ounce , even for heavier atoms.

If I remember QI correctly, red-breast was a nick-name for postmen n England (royal mail red). And was later applied to robins as the robin grew in popularity on the Christmas cards (which the red-breast s delivered).
    But yea, the word orange was used to describe red things before word red was used.

There was something about horses and dogs being described as "blue" too, but I forget the details....

And the word grey is used to describe a white horse (in the horsey world).

Ipso wrote: »
    And the word grey is used to describe a white horse (in the horsey world).

I seem to remember from somewhere that that's because their skin is grey, even though their hairs aren't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Unlikely ROTS(and not the first time QI got things a bit dubious, if not plain wrong). The postmen got their name from the bird, not the other way around.The Robin with its red breast had a long standing role in medieval folklore. Never mind that for most of European history since Rome their name was "Red breast" or similar, rather than "Robin". From the early medieval on many in the Church in Europe sought to find analogies within creation for biblical references, rather than going the observation and taking things from that route. Not all, mind you, especially among the learned, but for the bread and butter of ordinary folk it was very much in play. So for example the rose took on all sorts of applied metaphors, re the crown of thorns.

The Robin was thought among the common mind to have gotten its red breast because at the crucifixion it alone among creatures had taken pity on Christ and attempted to pull out the nails in his wrists and ankles*. all to no end, but in the process his blood had spattered on its breast in the attempt. They were quite the Christian symbol for a time. Especially as they're one of the very few birds in Northern Europe who sing in the winter months, even in the depths of snow so are associated with Christmas and the New Year.

Which leads us on to the more interesting thought; that before we thought in terms of "orange" the perception of the colour on a Robin was "blood red", when to our eyes it clearly isn't. Colour perception as culture.

Further on Robins... If you have a garden and tend it, you will have noted how close Robins will come to you when you're digging out weeds or whatever. A good theory on why this behaviour is in play is because Robins are woodland birds and in such environments will close follow animals like pigs, rabbits and badgers who do a lot of digging, because said digging exposes worms and other soil living titbits that they eat. So if they see a human with a spade they think "game effin on monkey boy!" :D They're very tame in Ireland and the UK, but in Europe they are far more nervy and won't approach people nearly so much(a French ex GF told me that and being the cynic I am, looked it up and she wasn't kidding.). In these islands they generally stay put for life, but in Europe many migrate to Southern Europe, even North Africa for the winter.

*the actual placement of said nails in such an execution as the palms and feet would tear with the weight. One reason why so many thought the Shroud of Turin was so compelling is that alone among Christian art, it showed the correct placement of the nails, and the rope marks on the arm and blood drip angle. Actually that piece of cloth could deserve its own post. Beyond fascinating, regardless if one sees it as an icon, or a medieval fake, either way it's a "miracle".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

A "jiffy" is never really used in theoretical physics. I wouldn't say it was a unit, just somebody's attempt at one. A barn is used however, being the typical cross-sectional area of a heavy nucleus, like the uranium nucleus. In particle physics terms it's a large area to manage to hit compared with focusing individual protons onto each other, hence "as big as a barn".

Roughly speaking what accelerators like the LHC are trying to do is focus two beams of particles onto each other and see how many barns of the first beam are removed when they collide. Then nearby detectors tell you that x barns of light came out of the collision, with y barns of electrons, etc. Even if the beams are purely protons, the energy of the collision will turn the slice removed into several other particle types.

So it's about the amount of first beam sliced off and what that slice is made of when it reaches the sphere of detectors around the collision.

Quantum Field Theory makes thousands of predictions about how many barns should be sliced off for beams of different energies and made of different particles. Also the exact breakdown of what the slice is made off by the time it reaches the detectors. These predictions are all incredibly precise, like "12.7664534788% of the slice will be photons".

So that's thousands of predictions at up to 12 decimals of precision. Every single one we've tested, which number collectively in the tens of thousands, has been correct. Making quantum field theory the most solid scientific theory in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Wibbs wrote:
    Unlikely ROTS(and not the first time QI got things a bit dubious, if not plain wrong). The postmen got their name from the bird, not the other way around...

Well, live and learn.... Or as my old dad says "the longer you live, the more you eat" ... Ta

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Unlikely ROTS(and not the first time QI got things a bit dubious, if not plain wrong). The postmen got their name from the bird, not the other way around.The Robin with its red breast had a long standing role in medieval folklore. Never mind that for most of European history since Rome their name was "Red breast" or similar, rather than "Robin". From the early medieval on many in the Church in Europe sought to find analogies within creation for biblical references, rather than going the observation and taking things from that route. Not all, mind you, especially among the learned, but for the bread and butter of ordinary folk it was very much in play. So for example the rose took on all sorts of applied metaphors, re the crown of thorns.

The Robin was thought among the common mind to have gotten its red breast because at the crucifixion it alone among creatures had taken pity on Christ and attempted to pull out the nails in his wrists and ankles*. all to no end, but in the process his blood had spattered on its breast in the attempt. They were quite the Christian symbol for a time. Especially as they're one of the very few birds in Northern Europe who sing in the winter months, even in the depths of snow so are associated with Christmas and the New Year.

Which leads us on to the more interesting thought; that before we thought in terms of "orange" the perception of the colour on a Robin was "blood red", when to our eyes it clearly isn't. Colour perception as culture.

Further on Robins... If you have a garden and tend it, you will have noted how close Robins will come to you when you're digging out weeds or whatever. A good theory on why this behaviour is in play is because Robins are woodland birds and in such environments will close follow animals like pigs, rabbits and badgers who do a lot of digging, because said digging exposes worms and other soil living titbits that they eat. So if they see a human with a spade they think "game effin on monkey boy!" :D They're very tame in Ireland and the UK, but in Europe they are far more nervy and won't approach people nearly so much(a French ex GF told me that and being the cynic I am, looked it up and she wasn't kidding.). In these islands they generally stay put for life, but in Europe many migrate to Southern Europe, even North Africa for the winter.

*the actual placement of said nails in such an execution as the palms and feet would tear with the weight. One reason why so many thought the Shroud of Turin was so compelling is that alone among Christian art, it showed the correct placement of the nails, and the rope marks on the arm and blood drip angle. Actually that piece of cloth could deserve its own post. Beyond fascinating, regardless if one sees it as an icon, or a medieval fake, either way it's a "miracle".

Is it a purely Irish belief that when a robin comes into your house it’s one of your deceased loved ones looking after you? We have a pair living in the bush on our back wall and a couple of times a year one of them will come in to the house. We do feed them occasisonally though. When I mentioned it to friends they told me about the family member thing. They are very friendly and cheeky :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement