Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It can't be too popular (thankfully) if the sharks can survive to reach ages of over 500 years.

The population of Iceland is tiny in fairness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The population of Iceland is tiny in fairness.
    true, but IIRC they have the most Nobel Prizes for literature per capita ....

... and they won the Cod Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Compulsive nose picking is known as Rhinotillexomania.

The plural of Prius is Priii. As decided by owners of Prius cars in a 2011 Toyota survey.

The original name of the Cookie Monster on Sesame Street is Sid. This is according to the Cookie Monster himself.

And Norville Rogers is the real name of the character of Shaggy in Scooby Doo.

When Richard Nixon said "I am not a crook", he was in Disney World in Florida.

Pandiculation is the act of a combined stretch and yawn. Yaaaaaawwwwnnnnnn. (There. I made you yawn too. ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can you imagine that it's possible that a Greenland Shark swimming in the ocean today was alive when Shakespeare was writing his plays. Mind Blowing.

Longest lifespan of the mammals is the Bowhead Whale, 150 to 200 years.

Most of the large Baleen species seem to live up towards the 150 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

true, but IIRC they have the most Nobel Prizes for literature per capita ....

Saint Lucia beats them by miles on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Faroe Islands have them both beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Grace Gummer is Meryl Streeps daughter! (I didn't know that and since I know I'm embarrassed because they have the same face)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Quazzie wrote: »

Ye are both wrong! Iceland is the correct answer, he said Literature specifically.

Anyway is a bit of a nonsense as they are nominated and voted on entirely by Swedes and Norwegians, hence the complete imbalance of Scandanavian winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

LirW wrote: »
    Grace Gummer is Meryl Streeps daughter! (I didn't know that and since I know I'm embarrassed because they have the same face)

Very similar. Quite Germanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

danganabu wrote: »
    Ye are both wrong! Iceland is the correct answer, he said Literature specifically.

Anyway is a bit of a nonsense as they are nominated and voted on entirely by Swedes and Norwegians, hence the complete imbalance of Scandanavian winners.

Absolutely. The only thing more prestigious than the list of Nobel Prize for literature winners is the list of non-winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

For Surströmming the legend goes that Swedish sailors who failed to preserve their fish because of lack of salt ended up selling the rotten fish to islanders. And when they returned the following year they were shocked when the islanders went "do you have any more ?"

Normally when a tin of meat bulges you throw it away , for Surströmming that just means it's getting there. [/I]

Horrendous stuff. I got a whiff of it at a midsummer party in Sweden and that was enough. Nearly threw my guts up, much to the Swedes hilarity. God knows how they can enjoy eating it. Putrid doesn't even begin to describe the smell. It's illegal to open in indoors there apparently so awful is the stench. They can keep it! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Greybottle wrote: »
    Compulsive nose picking is known as Rhinotillexomania.

The plural of Prius is Priii. As decided by owners of Prius cars in a 2011 Toyota survey.

The original name of the Cookie Monster on Sesame Street is Sid. This is according to the Cookie Monster himself.

And Norville Rogers is the real name of the character of Shaggy in Scooby Doo.

When Richard Nixon said "I am not a crook", he was in Disney World in Florida.

Pandiculation is the act of a combined stretch and yawn. Yaaaaaawwwwnnnnnn. (There. I made you yawn too. ;) )
    And in other Scooby Doo related news, Heather North, the voice of Daphne has died at the age of 71 :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42425616

Quazzie wrote: »

For literature? Absolutely not. Their only prize was in Medicine.

danganabu wrote: »

Not at all. Saint Lucia with a population of 178k has one Literature Laureate (Walcott) compared to Iceland with one (Laxness) and a population of over 335k.

So in fact, believe it or not, you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Not going to google that. Just assuming Srameen is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For literature? Absolutely not. Their only prize was in Medicine.

My apologies, I missed the part stating literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Brazil, with its huge population, has never had a single nobel prize winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

We might be relatively sound lads these days, but us Irish are responsible for inventing the submarine (invented by John Philip Holland in 1878 - Liscannor, Clare) and the guided torpedo (invented by Louis Brennan in 1877 - Castlebar, Mayo)!

Thankfully, anyone blown up by said torpedo via underwater deathmachine had us to thank too since the Hypodermic Syringe (invented by Francis Rynd in 1844 - Dublin) is also an Irish invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's a myth that Hitler didn't drink and was a vegetarian.
    He was partial to caviar, german sausage and beer and wine. Joseph Goebbels pushed the myth to make Hitler seem disciplined and pure, also Gandhi was hugely popular throughout Europe at the time and well known for not eating meat so Goebbels was piggybacking off of that too.

Hitler was strongly anti-smoking though and he implemented a smoking ban in the 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

In 1325 the 2 cities of modena and bologna had a war in which 2000 people died,after a man stole a bucket from bologna

Modena still has the bucket :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because Santa has to travel very fast, Rudolph's nose appears blue as he comes towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

African dung beetles can pull 1,141 times their own body weight: the equivalent of an average person pulling six double-decker buses full of people.

They can shift and bury (elephant) dung balls up to a total of 250 times their own weight in a night.

I've seen them in action and they really move along at speed and are hypnotic in their singular mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Stuff i didn't know but have found by wikipedia jumping from links on here:

John Cazale only ever acted in 6 movies, all of which were nominated for Best picture at the Oscars.
    In Iceland, you can have Þorramatur, a selection of traditional Icelandic food. It sounds delightful; apart from the already discussed Hakarl, there is:
    • Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the testicles of rams pressed in blocks, boiled and cured in lactic acid.
    • Svið, singed and boiled sheep heads, sometimes cured in lactic acid.
    • Sviðasulta, head cheese or brawn made from svið, sometimes cured in lactic acid.
    • Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a pudding made from liver and suet of sheep kneaded with rye flour and oats.
    • Blóðmör (blood-suet; also known as slátur lit. 'slaughter'), a type of blood pudding made from lamb's blood and suet kneaded with rye flour and oats.
    • Harðfiskur, wind-dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter.
    • Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread.
    • Hangikjöt, (hung meat), smoked and boiled lamb or mutton, sometimes also eaten raw.
    • Lundabaggi, sheep's loins wrapped in the meat from the sides, pressed and cured in lactic acid.
    • Selshreifar, seal's flippers cured in lactic acid.
    • Súr Hvalur, whale blubber pickled in sour milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Cazale went out with Meryl Streep when she was an unknown stage
    actress. They were engaged.

John Cazale was dying during the filming of the The Deer Hunter.
    He died before it was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

retalivity wrote: »
    In Iceland, you can have Þorramatur, a selection of traditional Icelandic food. It sounds delightful; apart from the already discussed Hakarl, there is:
    • Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the testicles of rams pressed in blocks, boiled and cured in lactic acid.
    • Svið, singed and boiled sheep heads, sometimes cured in lactic acid.
    • Sviðasulta, head cheese or brawn made from svið, sometimes cured in lactic acid.
    • Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a pudding made from liver and suet of sheep kneaded with rye flour and oats.
    • Blóðmör (blood-suet; also known as slátur lit. 'slaughter'), a type of blood pudding made from lamb's blood and suet kneaded with rye flour and oats.
    • Harðfiskur, wind-dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter.
    • Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread.
    • Hangikjöt, (hung meat), smoked and boiled lamb or mutton, sometimes also eaten raw.
    • Lundabaggi, sheep's loins wrapped in the meat from the sides, pressed and cured in lactic acid.
    • Selshreifar, seal's flippers cured in lactic acid.
    • Súr Hvalur, whale blubber pickled in sour milk.

Jeez, the financial crash was tough; the sh1t theyre reduced to eating...

Are Am Eye wrote: »

John Cazale was dying during the filming of the The Deer Hunter.
    He died before it was released.

Becaue he was dying, they shot all his scenes first, so the actors filmed young, the older, the young again, then older again in that order.

Great actor, Dog Day Afternoon is a class film, himself and Al Pacino totally made it.

In the English version of Scrabble the letter Z is worth 10 points.
    In French and Spanish it's also 10.
    In Italian it's 8.
    In German it's worth 3.
    In Polish it's only worth 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

For the day that's in it... They don't actually know how many wise men there were. They assume there was 3, because all that was referenced was the fact there were 3 gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh. There was no mention of how many there were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

For the day that's in it... They don't actually know how many wise men there were. They assume there was 3, because all that was referenced was the fact there were 3 gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh. There was no mention of how many there were.

When were the wise men given names? Were they just made up if the number is unknown?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement