Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

When were the wise men given names? Were they just made up if the number is unknown?

I'm not fully certain. I know that in the gospels they mention three wise men that came from the east. I'm Eastern Christianity they say there are twelve. They're also called kings and magi

Copying from Wikipedia --

The New Testament does not give the names of the Magi. However, traditions and legends identify a variety of different names for them.[18] In the Western Christian church, they have been all regarded as saints and are commonly known as:

Herrad of Landsberg: The three Magi (named as Patisar, Caspar and Melchior), illustration from the Hortus deliciarum (12th century)
    Melchior (/ˈmɛlkiˌɔːr/;[19] also Melichior[20]), a Persian scholar;
    Caspar (/ˈkæspər/ or /ˈkæspɑːr/;[21] also Gaspar, Jaspar, Jaspas, Gathaspa,[20][22] and other variations), an Indian scholar;
    Balthazar (/ˈbælθəˌzɑːr/ or /bælˈθæzər/;[23] also Balthasar, Balthassar, and Bithisarea[20]), a Babylonian scholar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Greybottle wrote: »
    In Polish it's only worth 1.
    and this is why :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Happened to be browsing Wiki and came across this: The first ever American film shot on location outside of America was filmed in Ireland. It was a one-realer called The Lad from Old Ireland, from 1910.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

quickbeam wrote: »
    Happened to be browsing Wiki and came across this: The first ever American film shot on location outside of America was filmed in Ireland. It was a one-realer called The Lad from Old Ireland, from 1910.

I wonder what the Oirish accents were like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

red sean wrote: »
    I wonder what the Oirish accents were like?

As it was 1910, and therefore a silent movie, it hardly matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

If anybody’s interested in the German translation....it’s as follows

1) Farewell heart sun

2) How is this departing so difficult my love?

3) Terry arrives in the land of the Dollar

4) An honest heart and a steady hand always find a place in America

5) The girl he left behind

6) Come back to Ireland

7)10 years later Terry achieves success in Politics

8) Alone

9) Time and distance cloud Terry’s memories of his little girl at home

10) A letter informing him of the grandmothers death and that his absence in breaking his girls heart. He should come home. The writer of the letter has not told the girl they have written to him.

11) He listens to the voice in his heart

12) The unrelenting landlord threatens eviction.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

david75 wrote: »
    Star Wars The Last Jedi is the most divisive Star Wars movie of the entire series.

So yeah. It is the most divisive Star Wars ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Wasn't aware of that one! At least they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

One of the major beneficiaries of the new Eircode system are geospatial analysts, i.e. scientists who discover trends and relationships through the geographic relationships of certain features. Previously in Ireland this type of work was seriously hampered by the huge number of non-unique addresses, as well as the fact people tended to ignore or be unaware of the official form of their addresses. Now there is a one-to-one relationship between each individual or dwelling and their exact geographic location.

The importance of this can be illustrated by the work of Dr. John Snow, someone I was reminded of yesterday. In 1854 an outbreak of cholera occurred in London and Snow was unconvinced by the accepted theory of the time that it was an airborne disease.

He visited the area affected and marked on a map the habitual residence of each person who had caught the often fatal affliction. Each black line indicates an individual, with each block of lines representing a building. He then set out to find what these people had in common.

snow_map_detail.png

He noticed that buildings with no blocks of lines all had their own private water supply. He then surmised that the victims were likely all using the same public water pump, as proximity to the pump was correlating with higher incidences of the disease.

He got the local authorities to shut down the pump the next day and soon the epidemic was stopped. The authorities then found that the pump's water supply had been contaminated by a leak from a nearby public toilet.

So the doctor was vindicated. Cholera is not an airborne disease, instead it is spread by drinking infected water. Today he is considered the father of geo-spatial analysis and of epidemiology in particular.

And they say John Snow knows nothing.

On Sunday night, the 31st of December, every adult alive in the world will have been born in the 20th century, and every child alive in the world will have been born in the 21st century.

Basically if you've turned 18 by midnight and are therefore legally an adult, or if you were born even a day after, and are under 18 and therefore still legally a child, this is the only moment when all the adults and children in the world will have been born in different centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Candie wrote: »
    On Sunday night, the 31st of December, every adult alive in the world will have been born in the 20th century, and every child alive in the world will have been born in the 21st century.

Basically if you've turned 18 by midnight and are therefore legally an adult, or if you were born even a day after, and are under 18 and therefore still legally a child, this is the only moment when all the adults and children in the world will have been born in different centuries.

a) presumes the legal age of majority is 18 throughout the world.
    b) implies that the century started on 1st January 2000, when it actually started a year later on 1st January 2001.

[/pedant]

Still pretty cool though.

quickbeam wrote: »
    a) presumes the legal age of majority is 18 throughout the world.
    b) implies that the century started on 1st January 2000, when it actually started a year later on 1st January 2001.

[/pedant]

Still pretty cool though.

Don't ruin it on me! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Don't ruin it on me! :(

I just told my family that cool fact, and my husband ruined it with exactly the same issue. Boo urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was thinking that the oldest living person might have been born in the 19th century but they were born in march 1900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

In Bangladesh, there are fishermen who use trained otters on ropes and little harnesses to herd fish into their nets

In 1876, the Chancery Lane Safe Deposit opened it's doors and rented strong rooms in their underground vaults for the wealthy people of London to keep their valuables safe while not in use, and operated as such for decades. After extensive bomb damage in World War Two, the vaults were restored and reopened in '53 as silverware shops and silversmiths workshops, and became the epicentre of the British Silverware industry, considered to be the finest silverware in the world.

Every piece of silver for sale and manufactured in the London Silver Vaults was sent to be assessed and assigned it's proper Hallmark, a term provided by the Craft association at Goldsmith Hall and first in use in 1300, still used around the world even today to denote the quality and protect the integrity of silversmiths. Passing off plate or inferior material as silver carried harsh prison sentences, as historically silver was linked with the minting of coins, the main type of currency.

People came from around the world to buy their silverware at the London Vaults, and at one time British diplomats were required by law to outfit their households in silverware from the Vaults, to promote the industry abroad.

There are more than 30 silver stores located in the Vaults today, and anyone can go and browse.

I was first taken there when I was seven years old by my Grandfather, and started my unremarkable collection of antique tea measuring, salt, mustard, sugar, serving and soup spoons, of which this is a very small sample. We'll be making our next trip in a few weeks.

I love spoons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In 1876, the Chancery Lane Safe Deposit opened it's doors and rented strong rooms in their underground vaults for the wealthy people of London to keep their valuables safe while not in use, and operated as such for decades. After extensive bomb damage in World War Two, the vaults were restored and reopened in '53 as silverware shops and silversmiths workshops, and became the epicentre of the British Silverware industry, considered to be the finest silverware in the world.

Every piece of silver for sale and manufactured in the London Silver Vaults was sent to be assessed and assigned it's proper Hallmark, a term provided by the Craft association at Goldsmith Hall and first in use in 1300, still used around the world even today to denote the quality and protect the integrity of silversmiths. Passing off plate or inferior material as silver carried harsh prison sentences, as historically silver was linked with the minting of coins, the main type of currency.

People came from around the world to buy their silverware at the London Vaults, and at one time British diplomats were required by law to outfit their households in silverware from the Vaults, to promote the industry abroad.

There are more than 30 silver stores located in the Vaults today, and anyone can go and browse.

I was first taken there when I was seven years old by my Grandfather, and started my unremarkable collection of antique tea measuring, salt, mustard, sugar, serving and soup spoons, of which this is a very small sample. We'll be making our next trip in a few weeks.

I love spoons :)

So does someone else.....

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056602222/629/#post105666217

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Candie wrote:
    ....There are more than 30 silver stores located in the Vaults today.....

I am fascinated by silver and its link between real life and stories. Silver has healing properties and is often infused into bandages. Perhaps because of this, its seen as a religious metal, with divine properties. Its used in ceremonies (both religious and royal) and on a par with gold for its symbolism, even though gold is rarer & more valuable.
    So, making a big leap here , in novels vampires have no reflection (mirrors have silver backing), they cant be photographed (film has silver in it) and it kills werewolves...

Someone should do a study.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Silver has anti-bacterial properties.

Mirrors nowadays use aluminium not silver. So YMMV on the vampire thing.

• Advertisement

I am fascinated by silver and its link between real life and stories. Silver has healing properties and is often infused into bandages. Perhaps because of this, its seen as a religious metal, with divine properties. Its used in ceremonies (both religious and royal) and on a par with gold for its symbolism, even though gold is rarer & more valuable.
    So, making a big leap here , in novels vampires have no reflection (mirrors have silver backing), they cant be photographed (film has silver in it) and it kills werewolves...

Someone should do a study.

You'd love the vaults. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Drunken debates were at one stage an important aspect in the decision making process. According to the Greek historian Herodotus (reporting on his travels to Persia around 450 B.C.) he found that their culture deeply valued the wisdom that comes while being drunk. The Persians he encountered made sure that important arguments were debated both while sober and drunk. The reason being that only ideas that made sense in both states were truly worthwhile. Naturally, this worked both ways: arguments originally had while drunk would be debated again the next day in soberness, and dry arguments would be followed up with discussions over wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Mirrors nowadays use aluminium not silver. So YMMV on the vampire thing.

Back when vampires were written into being the silver backing might have been a reason they were not visible. But we move on, and silver is not used anymore. Does this mean they are now reflected in mirrors? Can they be seen on cctv? iPhones? Hard to say as they are not real

......or are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mzungu wrote: »
    Drunken debates were at one stage an important aspect in the decision making process. According to the Greek historian Herodotus (reporting on his travels to Persia around 450 B.C.) he found that their culture deeply valued the wisdom that comes while being drunk. The Persians he encountered made sure that important arguments were debated both while sober and drunk. The reason being that only ideas that made sense in both states were truly worthwhile. Naturally, this worked both ways: arguments originally had while drunk would be debated again the next day in soberness, and dry arguments would be followed up with discussions over wine.

How many times have you had a Eureka! idea when under the influence that you can't remember the next day?

Nauru is a tiny nation of about 22sq km with some big problems endured by it's population of about 10.3k citizens.

It has an unemployment rate over 90%, and a weight problem second to none with around 97% of men and 94% of women described as obese. This Central Pacific island nation, the third smallest country in the world, had a thriving phosphate mining industry 30 years ago but now the reserves are totally depleted, and most employed people on the island are civil servants. For a time it gained some status as a tax haven, but an illegal money laundering racket put paid to that.

Things don't look good in Nauru, with an average lifespan of only 60 years and the dubious honor of having the highest rate of type 2 diabetes in the world, it's neither accessible nor picturesque enough to sustain a tourist industry. It's now heavily dependent on aid from Australia, and is often regarded as a client State.

It's perhaps a rather cruel irony that it used to be called Pleasant Island.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back when vampires were written into being the silver backing might have been a reason they were not visible. But we move on, and silver is not used anymore. Does this mean they are now reflected in mirrors? Can they be seen on cctv? iPhones? Hard to say as they are not real

......or are they?
    Oddly enough the colour of gold is caused by electrons travelling at relativistic speeds. They should travel faster but can't.

Maybe silver has something like that ?

Silver isn't used that much in semiconductors... gold and copper are though. So no CCTV won't pickup them. Why do you think silver based film photography was phased out ???

Anyway have a look at this documentary - not to be confused with the movie of the same name which was woeful.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/ultraviolet/on-demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oddly enough the colour of gold is caused by electrons travelling at relativistic speeds. They should travel faster but can't.

Maybe silver has something like that ?

Silver isn't used that much in semiconductors... gold and copper are though. So no CCTV won't pickup them. Why do you think silver based film photography was phased out ???

Anyway have a look at this documentary - not to be confused with the movie of the same name which was woeful.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/ultraviolet/on-demand
    I thought silver based film was phased out because of digital photography?

I thought silver based film was phased out because of digital photography?
    And who do you think was behind digital photography ??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Vampires? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The Phiastos Disc is a stamped clay disc that was found in Crete in 1908 and is believed to be around 4,000 years old. By using seals and emblems to print into soft clay before being baked it is one of the oldest forms of printing known to us.

There is a lot of discussion as to what the symbols mean and how they should be read...outside going in, inside going out, "A" side first or "B" side first. The confusion is added to by the writing being in a spiral form. It has been speculated that is is an ode to a mother, a land registry document, a storybook and many others.

Unlike the Egyptian Hiroglyphics there is no translation tool and indeed there is no certainty as to what language it is written in.

This is the disc, both sides:

phaistosdisk.jpg

If you've more time, this is one of the theories as to what it means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement