Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Riva10 wrote: »
    The longest time between two twins being born is 87 days

Imagine how different the horoscope birth charts are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

. In 1923, jockey Frank Hayes won a race at Belmont Park in New York despite being dead — he suffered a heart attack mid-race, but his body stayed in the saddle until his horse crossed the line for a 20–1 outsider victory.
    http://www.neatorama.com/2012/10/29/Frank-Hayes-The-Only-Dead-Man-to-Win-a-Horse-Race/#!Bq6yf

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

^ The article above states that.... "This ruling makes Frank Hayes the only jockey to win a race while deceased. In fact, it is the only time in sports history when a competition was won by a dead man."

Which isn't strictly correct. Jochen Rindt won the 1970 Formula 1 championship posthumously. He was killed in practice at Monza for the Italian Grand Prix. Jacky Ickx could have won it, but he failed to win the last 3 races, so the lead that Rindt had at the time of his death was sufficient to claim the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

Greybottle wrote: »
    ^ The article above states that.... "This ruling makes Frank Hayes the only jockey to win a race while deceased. In fact, it is the only time in sports history when a competition was won by a dead man."

Which isn't strictly correct. Jochen Rindt won the 1970 Formula 1 championship posthumously. He was killed in practice at Monza for the Italian Grand Prix. Jacky Ickx could have won it, but he failed to win the last 3 races, so the lead that Rindt had at the time of his death was sufficient to claim the championship.

Its an interesting fact, but it doesn't make the prior one incorrect. Winning a championship as a result of compiling points from races while alive, isn't the same as winning a race while dead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It is a competition though, so the original sentence is just badly phrased

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Olympic gold medals are made mostly of silver. The last Olympic Games to use actual gold medals was the 1912 event held in Stockholm. Currently, gold medals are made up of 93 percent silver and six percent copper, and the remaining one percent is for the highly prized gold finish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Olympic gold medals are made mostly of silver.
    Nobel Prizes are gold.

Back in 1940 it was illegal to export gold from Germany. And if you were Jewish it was pretty much death penalty illegal.

So if you were in newly captured Denmark and were in possession of a pair of Nobel Prize medals with the names of the Germans who won them and were certain the invaders would pay your lab a visit shortly there'd be a problem for all concerned.

You can't bury the medals as that would be noticed and you are damn sure the Germans will take the place apart so what to do ?

You're in a lab ... so the solution is the solution.

You dissolve the gold in acid and leave it sitting in a flask for the duration.

At 6:20 on the morning of 22 September 1914 Wenman Wykeham-Musgrave was on an armoured cruiser that was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat.

At 6:55 on the morning of 22 September 1914 Wenman Wykeham-Musgrave was on an armoured cruiser that was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat.

At 7:20 on the morning of 22 September 1914 Wenman Wykeham-Musgrave was on an armoured cruiser that was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

At 6:20 on the morning of 22 September 1914 Wenman Wykeham-Musgrave was on an armoured cruiser that was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat.

At 6:55 on the morning of 22 September 1914 Wenman Wykeham-Musgrave was on an armoured cruiser that was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat.

At 7:20 on the morning of 22 September 1914 Wenman Wykeham-Musgrave was on an armoured cruiser that was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat.

Dogger Bank (without looking it up, where's the fun in that)? I remember a lot of cruisers being sunk there in succession. Didn't know about him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Was he the inspiration for Uncle Albert in Only Fools & Horses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

HMS Aboukir, HMS Hogue & HMS Cressy, in that order I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Every second the Sun fuses 700 million tonnes of hydrogen into 695 million tonnes of helium. The remaining 5 million tonnes are turned into the energy needed to prevent it collapsing under its own weight.
    Just to combine my last post on Quantum Mechanics with this. The hydrogen nuclei don't actually have enough energy to fuse together. When they approach each other their electrical repulsion increases so quickly that they can't pick up enough speed to overcome it.

However if they were very close, the strong nuclear force would pull them together more than the electric repulsion could push them apart. Under classical mechanics this would be impossible as they simply can't push through the electrical barrier enough to get this close.

However, as mentioned above, since the nuclei are quantum particles they are constantly randomly jumping between locations. Very rarely they will randomly appear next to each other, close enough for the strong nuclear force to overcome electric repulsion and fuse them. This fusing then providing a flux of high energy photons that act against stellar collapse.

Although rare, it occurs enough times in a stellar core to support the star against its own weight. So even stars are held up by quantum randomness.
    5 million tonnes are turned into the energy
    This isn't quite what happens, I'm still thinking how best to explain the "real" sequence of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Fourier wrote: »
    This isn't quite what happens, I'm still thinking how best to explain the "real" sequence of events.

I'm aware. I did simplify it. The complicated version involves all sorts of hijinks that would make your head explode. I'm only a keen amateur in the end so I'm not going to pretend I fully understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Ineedaname wrote: »
    I'm aware. I did simplify it. The complicated version involves all sorts of hijinks that would make your head explode. I'm only a keen amateur in the end so I'm not going to pretend I fully understand it.
    Not more complicated I would say just more abstract (there's really only three steps to the process), really due to the fact that nothing can be turned into energy. Energy is a property of objects, not a thing itself. Just as one cannot be turned into momentum or position.

As a first approximation you could say that the hydrogen is turned into helium and a bunch of high energy photons. The pressure exerted by those photons holds up the star.

EDIT: Let this not detract from Ineedaname's contribution, technical quibbling is all this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If there were aliens over 65 million light years away viewing our planet now they could see dinosaurs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

HMS Aboukir, HMS Hogue & HMS Cressy, in that order I think.

That's the worst battleship score I've ever heard of.

Airplane! (1980) is a shot by shot remake of Zero Hour (1957)

There wasn't really a Tulip Bubble in the Netherlands in the 17th Century.
    Just some finger wagging calvanists.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/there-never-was-real-tulip-fever-180964915/

Anish Kapoor is the only artist who is allowed to use Vantablack (the blackest black).

In response to this exclusivity, another artist Stuart Semple collaborated with scientists to create what he thinks is the Pinkest Pink.
    He sells it on EBay to everyone except Anish Kapoor
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PINK-bright-pink-powder-paint-50g/253267788620?epid=629480631&hash=item3af7efc34c:g:V04AAOSwZlZaEffa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Anish Kapoor is the only artist who is allowed to use Vantablack (the blackest black).

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

458347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

mickrock wrote: »
    There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Or is it just very very very dark blue:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

aziz wrote: »
    Or is it just very very very dark blue:pac:

They'll shaft you every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

75 years ago today, Erwin Schrodinger delivered a lecture in Dublin that had a huge influence on Watson and Cricks discovery of the shape of DNA.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0205/938410-what-is-life-lectures/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

All the dogs playing Lassie were male

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

75 years ago today, Erwin Schrodinger delivered a lecture that had a huge influence on Watson and Cricks discovery of the shape of DNA.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0205/938410-what-is-life-lectures/

Strangely, that article doesn't mention the fact that Schrodinger took out Irish citizenship and lived in Ireland for 15 years. He came here in 1939 as he found Ireland to be tolerant of his views and DeValera offered him a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Uma Thurman used to be married to Gary Oldman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Scotty # wrote: »
    Uma Thurman used to be married to Gary Oldman.

Gary Numan is two weeks older than Gary Oldman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Gary Oldman's sister is Mo from Eastenders

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Everyone has a unique tongue print, just like fingerprints.
    https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-540-74549-5_122#page-1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement