Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's zero because the gravities and accelerations cancel out.

It's like getting paid and all your money going out in debts and bills and living expenses. You aren't getting nothing, but you have nothing at the end of the week :mad:

Effective gravity is a combination of gravity and acceleration. So the effective gravity on the ISS is very close to zero but is not zero.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Effective gravity is a combination of gravity and acceleration. So the effective gravity on the ISS is very close to zero but is not zero.
    technically speaking everything in the universe has gravity.

Two people inside the ISS will be attracted to each other by gravity.

But that force will be far less than the constant movement of air by fans which has to be done because the lack of gravity means there's a lot less recirculation of air otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Gravity is a myth ......... the earth sucks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Yeah!!!Down with gravity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's zero because the gravities and accelerations cancel out.

It's like getting paid and all your money going out in debts and bills and living expenses. You aren't getting nothing, but you have nothing at the end of the week :mad:

That's like saying if you close yer eyes then there's effectively zero sun.

The phrase they should be using is 'simulated zero gravity'.
    Sorry I just had to listen to some pop-science intelligent comedian who wrote a book say 'and do you know the way there's zero gravity in space....?'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Gravity isn't actually a force like the electromagnetic, strong and weak forces. This is because it doesn't "pull" on you, i.e. impart acceleration.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1045.-William-the-Conqueror-Death.jpg?w=500&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

On December 12, 1962, Warren Buffett obtained 2,000 shares of Berkshire Hathaway through his investment partnership at a price of $7.50 per share. This failing mill would eventually become the umbrella company we know today, the shares of which are now worth $628 million.

He paid his broker Tweedy Browne & Co. $20 to execute that original trade.

If they were feeling generous and executed it free of charge, that $20 could have bought another 2.88 shares and today those shares would be worth just over $900,000 .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1023.-Capt-Bertrand-Piccard.jpg?w=500&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Two people inside the ISS will be attracted to each other

But ironically...
    Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Sex is banned aboard the International Space Station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sex and relationships are banned from the space station because of the danger of conflict in enclosed spaces!
    Astronauts get psychologically assessed before being recruited but a few unbalanced people have made it through...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506971/I-know-heart-wanted-dead-Air-Force-captain-attacked-female-astronaut-bizarre-love-triangle-speaks-struggle-return-normalcy.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fourier wrote: »
    Gravity isn't actually a force like the electromagnetic, strong and weak forces. This is because it doesn't "pull" on you, i.e. impart acceleration.

4184_5e86_500.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Appetite suppressant, Ayds candy was popular in the 70s and 80s but sales rapidly dropped in the mid 80s because the brands name was pronounced the same as AIDs and the increase in public awareness of the disease. Eventually it was withdrawn from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Yet!

Kexit will be the new word on everybodys lips come 2019...

You can tell which country issued a Euro note by the first letter of serial number.
    T = Ireland
    J = UK

Also the UK prints Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You can tell which country issued a Euro note by the first letter of serial number.
    T = Ireland
    J = UK

Also the UK prints Euros.

I heard somewhere before that no euro notes are actually printed in Ireland - those issued by here are printed in the UK. Not sure if true or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

retalivity wrote: »
    I heard somewhere before that no euro notes are actually printed in Ireland - those issued by here are printed in the UK. Not sure if true or not

Print code K are printed in Ireland
    F (Austria) and H (UK) also print Irish Euro notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lots of you will know the famous Robert Doisneau photo The Kiss, but maybe you don't know that the man wearing the beret in the background is an Irishman! https://www.irishtimes.com/news/passing-fame-for-the-man-in-the-beret-1.436771?mode=amp

His family didn't realise it until the nineties when his son recognized him on a poster of the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,969 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In American prisons, convicts have to use clear plastic radios and music players.

https://www.geek.com/news/the-one-consumer-electronics-market-sony-still-dominates-prison-1582587/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The Blakes of Menlough Castle, Co. Galway issued tokens to their workers that could only be spent in the estate shop. These came to be known as "Blake tokens".

The reverse of the token shows the Menlough crest and is inscribed with the somewhat ironic “Virtus Sola Nobilitat” (Virtue alone enobles). Workers had no choice but to take the tokens as payment for work and pay inflated prices for goods, making them easy to control, hardly a virtuous thing to do.

I still have a set that I picked up in my youth.

galway-ballyglunin-estate-m-i-blake-4d-truck-token.jpg?w=700

• Advertisement

Yorkshire police are now using on the spot fingerprint scanners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/police-trial-new-home-office-mobile-fingerprint-technology
    New mobile fingerprinting technology will allow frontline officers across the country to use their smartphones to identify people in less than a minute – saving police time and reducing costs.

Oldtree wrote: »
    The Blakes of Menlough Castle, Co. Galway issued tokens to their workers that could only be spent in the estate shop.
    You load sixteen tons, what do you get
    Another day older and deeper in debt
    Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
    I owe my soul to the company store

- Merle Travis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Zorro was actually an Irishman by the name of William Lamport.

Link

zorro1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Zorro was actually an Irishman by the name of William Lamport.
    Wrote a bit about him on a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The murders in the rue morgue by Edgar Allan Poe, published in 1841, is widely considered to be the first English language detective story, predating by a year the word ''detective''. In the story, Poe established the prototype of the detective and his sidekick investigating a mysterious crime. This became the template for subsequent detective fiction pairs such as Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The murders in the rue morgue by Edgar Allan Poe, published in 1841, is widely considered to be the first detective story

In English. In French and German there are precursors to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The round leaved sundew (Drosera Rotundifolia) is one of the most common of Ireland's 10 carnivorous plants. They are tiny and gorgeous and can be found in most bogs, but are very sensitive to airborne pollution. They catch up to 5 insects a month, but how that figure was arrived at I don't know, maby that's the base amount of food needed for survival.

163a1.jpg

This time-lapse of a sundew shows what happens to an insect that gets trapped in the sticky sundew and then digested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

the Venus Flytrap is native only to the coastal bogs of North and South Carolina in the United States, specifically within a 60-mile radius of Wilmington, North Carolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The border between Donegal and Leitrim is wider than the Gaza Strip.

There's still communities in the US with a majority French speaking population (Only 5 of these areas have a population over 1,000).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The border between Donegal and Leitrim is wider than the Gaza Strip.

There's still communities in the US with a majority French speaking population (Only 5 of these areas have a population over 1,000).

You mean Donegal and Sligo? Leitrim is the Gaza Strip :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement