Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

New Home wrote: »
    I remember reading (probably here) that when they strike their speed is such that it makes the water boil around them.

Thats cavitation isn't it?

The same effect that makes the water boil around the props of submarines making good speed.

Edit: yup, read the infographic after i posted.

That infographic is glorious! "Untill deliciousness starts coming out"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Fourier wrote: »
    Forgive me if this seems corrective, the "current truth" is often locked away in academic journals in technical language most can't read.

The observable universe has a radius of 46.5 billion light years.

Current observational evidence reveals that whatever the total size of the full universe, it is at least 1000 times larger, i.e. 47 trillion light years.

So how does this equate with the big bang theory or is that defunct now too? What happened in January 2018?

Does the big bang not indicate that after the initial inflation from a singularity (strangly a faster than light inflation) things slowed down (to the speed of light) and as the universe is 13 billion years old the maximum size would be 26 billion light years plus the initial inflation?

Unless the initial inflation was 46.974 trillion light years, where does a size of 47 trillion light years come from? Or is this not a radius?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Oldtree wrote: »
    So how does this equate with the big bang theory or is that defunct now too?

Nope, it will be back on Channel 4 shortly :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Oldtree wrote: »
    So how does this equate with the big bang theory or is that defunct now too?
    The Big Bang Theory is still accurate.
    What happened in January 2018?
    The gravitational signatures of pairs of neutron stars will be different depending on the exact number of dimensions the universe has. A long term study of such a pair reached its conclusion in January and found the results were consistent only with three space and one time dimension.
    Does the big bang not indicate that after the initial inflation from a singularity (strangly a faster than light inflation) things slowed down (to the speed of light) and as the universe is 13 billion years old the maximum size would be 26 billion light years plus the initial inflation?
    In the Big Bang theory the universe did not originate in a singularity. What it says is a bit more subtle:

13.7 billion years ago the observable universe was very small, but still of finite size, roughly pea sized and has since expanded to its current size. How large it was prior to 13.7 billion years ago, or how old it actually is, are currently unknown.

Now none of this changes your core question, which could be updated to how did it go from pea-sized to 93 billion light years given the speed of light. The simple answer is that when the universe expands nothing is actually moving or stretching.

What is happening is that, via the coupling between matter and spacetime described by General Relaitivty, space is being created.

For example, every second between the Milky Way galaxy and the Triangulum Galaxy (M33) about 72 extra kilometers of empty space are created. Neither galaxy moves, there is just now more space. Since this doesn't involve motion there are no speed limits to it, in fact the concept of speed is irrelevant.
    47 trillion light years come from? Or is this not a radius?
    Among the theories that have not been eliminated by observational evidence they each predict a size at least 47 trillion light years across. Some predict far more, but this is the lowest among the remaining theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Mantis shrimp eyes stuff
    Just to add to the appreciation of the mantis shrimp, it's eyes can see the difference between photons spinning up, down or in a superposition of the two. Hence not only does it see more colours, it sees three versions of each colour, including distinguishing between the quantum version and the two classical versions of the colour.

Isn't this also true of some species of bird or other - starling/sparrow or some other species that's relatively common in this part of the world? Pretty sure I'd read something about that a while back, and that this ability was thought to help with navigation or similar. Wish I could remember more specifically!

• Advertisement

mr chips wrote: »
    Isn't this also true of some species of bird or other - starling/sparrow or some other species that's relatively common in this part of the world? Pretty sure I'd read something about that a while back, and that this ability was thought to help with navigation or similar. Wish I could remember more specifically!
    Indeed, I tried to summarise this here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105366605

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

That's exactly it! And only 3 months/under 100 pages back in this very thread, too. My memory is for nowt ...

The Big Bang Theory is still accurate.

The gravitational signatures of pairs of neutron stars will be different depending on the exact number of dimensions the universe has. A long term study of such a pair reached its conclusion in January and found the results were consistent only with three space and one time dimension.

In the Big Bang theory the universe did not originate in a singularity. What it says is a bit more subtle:

13.7 billion years ago the observable universe was very small, but still of finite size, roughly pea sized and has since expanded to its current size. How large it was prior to 13.7 billion years ago, or how old it actually is, are currently unknown.

Now none of this changes your core question, which could be updated to how did it go from pea-sized to 93 billion light years given the speed of light. The simple answer is that when the universe expands nothing is actually moving or stretching.

What is happening is that, via the coupling between matter and spacetime described by General Relaitivty, space is being created.

For example, every second between the Milky Way galaxy and the Triangulum Galaxy (M33) about 72 extra kilometers of empty space are created. Neither galaxy moves, there is just now more space. Since this doesn't involve motion there are no speed limits to it, in fact the concept of speed is irrelevant.

Among the theories that have not been eliminated by observational evidence they each predict a size at least 47 trillion light years across. Some predict far more, but this is the lowest among the remaining theories.

Plenty to mull over there, I like that synopsis a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

You can use "Search this Thread" at the top of the page. It hasn't been here already.

https://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.asp

thank you for such a polite reply, there are still some nice people out there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

decky1 wrote: »
    A ducks 'Quack' has no echo.
    has that been here already,? too many to look through.

It wasn't posted before but, more importantly, it just isn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Edit. Apparently his mother was from Farranree

Yes his mother - because I thought the Sheriff's accent was more southside Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

It wasn't posted before but, more importantly, it just isn't true.

I must have been Quackers to believe it in the first place.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So News comes from the points of the compass meaning information coming from north east west and south.
    I wanted so much to believe this I think it’s a brilliant bit of etymology but apparently it isn’t true?

It's just the plural of new, i.e. "the new things"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't know why people feel the need to invent a far fetched acronymn for the word news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I don't know why people feel the need to invent a far fetched acronymn for the word news.

Sound like the kind of stuff that got spread around with those "did you know" viral emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

This is John O. Brennan, he was head of the CIA during Barack Obama's second term. As such he supposedly the 9th most powerful person on earth, (depending on who you believe).

He voted for a communist party candidate for president in the 1976 election that Jimmy Carter won.

What's also interesting is that his parents are from Lecarrow, which is between Roscommon town and Athlone.

220px-John_Brennan_CIA_official_portrait.jpg

Polar Bears cannot be seen with night vision equipment.
    Infrared signiture of their fur is identical to that of snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    But in ultraviolet they are the blackest things out there and are very easy to spot.

• Advertisement

Are Am Eye wrote: »

I think it's more to do withe the fact that they are so well insulated that they blend in very well. They are not totally invisible.

This video is slightly exaggerated as some of her and her cubs' heat is being reflected back off the snow hole that she is in.

While we're at it here#s a video of a cub being born, amazing that they are the size of a guinea pig when born, but grow to one of the largest land mammals we have.

And this video shows how slowly they grow and how vulnerable they are in the wild over the first few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

Some countries can actually carry on functioning with a bit of snow ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,969 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Some countries can actually carry on functioning with a bit of snow ...

They're not very good with rain though.

Montreal has a population of 1,700,000 or 3,000,000 including it's major satellite towns. It costs CAN$ 300 million to remove snow there every year, or about €190,000,000.

They have special machines to break the ice, special gritters for paths and special trailers to load the snow up and move it off. You get warning that they are about to clear your street, if you miss it, they tow your car away. No questions, no ifs or buts or Joe Duffy on the phone.

There's a good account of it with a lot of photos here; https://twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168?s=19

This is a pic of a snow dump, pick up truck in the front for scale, they have 14 of these snow dumps in operation.

Turcot_Yard_red-truck.jpg

They remove around 13,000,000 cubic metres of snow a year.
    Or the equivalent of the Phoenix Park buried under 7 feet of snow.
    Or a line of trucks stretching nose to tail from Dublin to Baghdad.

This does not include snow that melts naturally, or smaller piles spread around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Part of the old Irish North Western Railway included a line from Clones to Cavan. After partition and the border being drawn, this line crossed the border 6 times in the 3 miles out of clones. Apparently post-partition, the train was stopped at every border crossing by customs officers, which was effectively 6 stops every 500m or so. Probably why the line no longer exists today!

The line went through an irish exclave known as the drumully polyp or coleman island, which probably deserves a massive post of its own

• Registered Users Posts: 20,969 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

retalivity wrote: »
    Part of the old Irish North Western Railway included a line from Clones to Cavan. After partition and the border being drawn, this line crossed the border 6 times in the 3 miles out of clones. Apparently post-partition, the train was stopped at every border crossing by customs officers, which was effectively 6 stops every 500m or so. Probably why the line no longer exists today!

The line went through an irish exclave known as the drumully polyp or coleman island, which probably deserves a massive post of its own

After partition the main road from Clones to Cavan became what is known as a Concession Road. With no customs posts on the border because of the multiple crossing points. Another Concession Road was from Dundalk to Castleblayney. They might get this status back post Brexit.

The final exact line of the border was only concluded in 1925, after the work of the Boundary Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Cats sleep so much that by the time a cat is nine years old it has only been awake for three years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

The sun still hasn't set on the British Empire

https://what-if.xkcd.com/48/

also, heres a video of the evolution of English/British territory every year for the last 1100 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpO9lsbefWE

eviltwin wrote: »
    Cats sleep so much that by the time a cat is nine years old it has only been awake for three years.

Which will ultimately be twenty seven years. (unless it's curious)

• Advertisement

I'm my youth I was lucky enough to visit Victoria Falls which was between Zambia and (Rhodesia at the time) Zimbabwe. The waterfall is known locally as Mosi-oa-Tunya which means ‘the smoke that thunders’ I'd say from just over 500m away you are getting soaked and the volume of noise is overwhelming. But the heat in the afternoon sun would soon have you dry in a few minutes. The falls are about 108m high at best.

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

The adjacent hotel was very colonial in design at the time but very apt. The bridge between the 2 countries was not open at the time but I was lucky to be driven around and then back to see the falls from the Rodesian side.

On the way back to the Rodesian side I was taken to see baby elephants in cages, not much bigger than a cow calf, whose parents had been killed by poachers. They were unafraid and we were given pellets to feed them with. I will always remember their very wirey tough hair and such small trunks. Sadly their destiny was to be shipped off to a zoo. Gorgeous little things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement