Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

cdeb wrote: »
    Well true. But most don't. Just said it was worth pointing out on an Irish site.

The fact that Irish surnames are so different to English ones is interesting of itself. Most are clan-based, though those with "de" in it - de Barra, de Paor, de Búrca - are Norman invaders.

I think surnames with 'Fitz' in them would also be of Norman/Viking origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Except Fitzpatrick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ipso wrote: »
    And Walsh, which is one of the top five surnames in the country.
    Is Walsh not, well, Welsh?

The Irish is Breathnach, meaning a person from Wales (or thereabouts, Wales not really existing at the time in the manner we know it), and is often pronounced Welsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is Walsh not, well, Welsh?

The Irish is Breathnach, meaning a person from Wales (or thereabouts, Wales not really existing at the time in the manner we know it), and is often pronounced Welsh.

Yeah, it means Welsh or Briton. It would be interesting to see why it became so popular. Surely not that many Cambro Normans came over.
    I think Wallace is the Scottish equivalent.

Think I misread your post - your point was to flag Walsh as neither a clan name nor a Norman one? I thought you were adding it to the Norman list.

There's other "hanging" names as well - Bell is one I remember; it translates as Mac Ghiolla Mhaoil, son of the blind servant. Not sure who the blind servant is tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Except Fitzpatrick.

How come?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Esel wrote: »
    How come?

kinda interesting. Blame Henry VIII for that. During the tudor conquest Briain Mac Giolla Phadraig was the first Irish clan chieftain to side with the british. He ended up in the House of Lords and Henry decided that his name in English should be FitzPatrick instead of MagilliPatrick or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I read it was because they wanted to come across as more upper class, and as Normans at the time were the hob nobs they adopted a Fitz to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

McGillicuddy. Irish Mac Giolamocuda or son of Devotee/ Servant of Saint Mocuda

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

There was a former professional footballer called Fitz Hall, he played for Crystal Palace, QPR and Newcastle Utd amongst others.

His nickname was 'One Size'.

As in "One Size Fitz Hall", or "One size fits all". :pac:

(That's my best fact about the name Fitz.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Many surnames derived from something like X "son of" Y or Name "from" Parent

de Von Van Mc Mac Fitz Nee O'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

What do you call two Irish Gays?

Michael Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzmichael.

Please don’t hate me!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The longest surname used was Hubert Blaine Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff Sr. ( or Hubert B. Wolfe + 666), but this is the abbreviated version. He had 26 Christian name s, alphabetically from A to Z and his 666 letter full surname was
    Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissen­haft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorg­faltig­keit­be­schutzen­vor­an­greifen­durch­ihr­raub­gierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolf­hundert­tausend­jah­res­voran­die­er­scheinen­von­der­erste­erde­mensch­der­raum­schiff­genacht­mit­tung­stein­und­sieben­iridium­elek­trisch­motors­ge­brauch­licht­als­sein­ur­sprung­von­kraft­ge­start­sein­lange­fahrt­hin­zwischen­stern­artig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nach­bar­schaft­der­stern­welche­ge­habt­be­wohn­bar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wo­hin­der­neue­rasse­von­ver­stand­ig­mensch­lich­keit­konnte­fort­pflanzen­und­sicher­freuen­an­lebens­lang­lich­freude­und­ru­he­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­an­greifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­ge­schopfs­von­hin­zwischen­stern­art­ig­raum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The longest surname used was Hubert Blaine Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff Sr. ( or Hubert B. Wolfe + 666), but this is the abbreviated version. He had 26 Christian name s, alphabetically from A to Z and his 666 letter full surname was
    Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissen­haft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorg­faltig­keit­be­schutzen­vor­an­greifen­durch­ihr­raub­gierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolf­hundert­tausend­jah­res­voran­die­er­scheinen­von­der­erste­erde­mensch­der­raum­schiff­genacht­mit­tung­stein­und­sieben­iridium­elek­trisch­motors­ge­brauch­licht­als­sein­ur­sprung­von­kraft­ge­start­sein­lange­fahrt­hin­zwischen­stern­artig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nach­bar­schaft­der­stern­welche­ge­habt­be­wohn­bar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wo­hin­der­neue­rasse­von­ver­stand­ig­mensch­lich­keit­konnte­fort­pflanzen­und­sicher­freuen­an­lebens­lang­lich­freude­und­ru­he­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­an­greifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­ge­schopfs­von­hin­zwischen­stern­art­ig­raum

Imagine he was a pro footballer and u wanted his name on ur jersey:). the season wud be over b4 it was finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Imagine he was a pro footballer and u wanted his name on ur jersey:). the season wud be over b4 it was finished

As it turns out, he was a typesetter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can only imagine him in primary school, attempting to write his full first name for the first time. The poor child...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

New Home wrote: »
    I can only imagine him in primary school, attempting to write his full first name for the first time. The poor child...

Didn’t have it as bad as a school friend of mine, surnamed Darling. In a school where we were always called by our second name by teachers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've heard of an old Welshman who had one remaining front tooth.

He was of course nicknamed Dai Central Eating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just on the Chernobyl thing, media was aghast as the radiation cloud floating our way at the time (I think it still is? Anyone able to clarify?) and it raining on us and making its way into the milk and food Chain.
    Anyways.
    Everyone born late 86-early 88 are all totally mental and have mad big lumpy heads and are totally psychotic. And have unusually big eyebrows.

Before you scoff look around at who you know born in this period.

It’s a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The exclusion zone around Chernobyl is about the same size as Co Cork. It has a population of a few hundred, mostly people who returned in the 5 years after the evacuation as they were unhappy with their new homes. The authorities did little or nothing to stop them.

The trinity bomb was the first atomic bomb ever detonated, It was the test bomb for the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and was dropped on June 16th 1945, 5 days ahead of schedule as President Truman wanted it detonated before the Potsdam Conference started to improve his hand against the USSR.

The cloud reached 12.7 KM, partially due to vortex's caused by the heat of the New Mexico desert. To give an idea of scale, if the bomb had been dropped in Athlone it would have been visible from any part of Ireland that was not hidden behind a mountain, such as Dublin or Galway.

• Advertisement

There's 4000 living there now. Includes some of the people still working in the power plant.

The new sarcophagus put on it in 2016 is the largest moving man-made item ever. It weighs 32000 tonnes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's 4000 living there now. Includes some of the people still working in the power plant.

The new sarcophagus put on it in 2016 is the largest moving man-made item ever. It weighs 32000 tonnes

ISS is bigger ;)

EDIT not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Evade

ISS is bigger ;)
    Or an aircraft carrier. Is there some specific definition that rules them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ISS is bigger ;)

ISS only weighs 440 Tonne tho, so it depends what the defining unit in 'biggest' is.

Quazzie wrote: »
    ISS only weighs 440 Tonne tho, so it depends what the defining unit in 'biggest' is.

Woops I'm completely wrong then. I think I read it as 440,000 tonnes, not kg.

By tonnage (including cargo) it would be Seawise Giant - 600,000 tonnes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

david75 wrote: »
    Just on the Chernobyl thing, media was aghast as the radiation cloud floating our way at the time (I think it still is? Anyone able to clarify?) and it raining on us and making its way into the milk and food Chain.
    Anyways.
    Everyone born late 86-early 88 are all totally mental and have mad big lumpy heads and are totally psychotic. And have unusually big eyebrows.

Before you scoff look around at who you know born in this period.

It’s a fact.

Since Chernobyl there's been a huge increase in the incidence of thyroid conditions, including cancer. I don't know if it's true, but at the time we were told that radiation "sinks" into the ground approximately 5 cm every year, but that since ploughing turns the soil by more than that, radiations on tilled fields would stay near the top and get absorbed by the plants. I also remember people being told not to pick mushrooms 'cause for some reason they seemed to act as sponges and absorbed more radiations than other plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Woops I'm completely wrong then. I think I read it as 440,000 tonnes, not kg.

By tonnage (including cargo) it would be Seawise Giant - 600,000 tonnes.

Seaside Giant was scrapped in 2010. May she rest in peace.

Edit: Autocorrect. I’m not changing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

stimpson wrote: »
    Seaside Giant was scrapped in 2010. May she rust in peace

FYP :):P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've been reading a bit about this seaside giant (I prefer that name, I'm keeping it too:D) It had quite an exciting life for a oil tanker, even being sank by Saddam Husseins forces only to be then refloated and put back to work!

It went through several name changes (bad luck I thought?) here is an illustration for scale when it was known as the Jahre Viking
    4323CB6800000578-0-image-a-6_1502379042770.jpg

• Advertisement

I've been reading a bit about this seaside giant (I prefer that name, I'm keeping it too:D) It had quite an exciting life for a oil tanker, even being sank by Saddam Husseins forces only to be then refloated and put back to work!

It went through several name changes (bad luck I thought?) here is an illustration for scale when it was known as the Jahre Viking
    Ah don't get me started on Typhoons (from the picture), we'll be here for hours!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement