Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The rhino that died was the last Northern White Rhino not the last white rhino. The Northern white is a subspecies of the white rhino. White rhinos are not endangered. They are also not white.

Pedantic hat on here:

He was the last male of the species. There are two females left, one is his daughter, one his granddaughter.

There is still some outside chance that a lineage will be maintained, but doubtfu. l

• Registered Users Posts: 20,969 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The largest known prime number (As of March 2018) has 23,249,425 digits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_known_prime_number

There are prizes for anyone who can find larger ones, and bigger prizes for ones with over 100 million digits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

Cate Blanchett was the first and, thus far, only person to win an Oscar for portraying an Oscar winner - Katherine Hepburn in the Aviator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Sidebaro wrote:
    Cate Blanchett was the first and, thus far, only person to win an Oscar for portraying an Oscar winner - Katherine Hepburn in the Aviator.

I love trivial sh1te like that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Greybottle wrote: »
    Pedantic hat on here:

He was the last male of the species. There are two females left, one is his daughter, one his granddaughter.

There is still some outside chance that a lineage will be maintained, but doubtfu. l

There is even debate over whether the northern white should be regarded as a separate species of rhino than the southern. The way these things are defined is quite slippery. The two that are alive are massively inbred, and if they are going to keep the species alive it will require cross-fertilisation, in a lab, using southern white rhinos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Have a look at your zip. It probably has the letter YKK on it. Why?

Its stands for Yoshida Kōgyō Kabushiki , who are Japanese and the worlds largest manufacturer of zips. Over 7,000,000,000 a year, or about one for every person on the planet.

There are other manufacturers of zips, but YKK are so good and reliable that they have an overwhelming market share.

A short video is here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/none/heres-why-most-zippers-have-the-letters-ykk-on-them/vi-BBKuq6v

A bit from Wiki is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK

........And you should stop pulling at your fly to check the zip in front of your work colleagues. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

il_570xN.1038149798_fcpb.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The largest known prime number
    If you multiplied all the known prime numbers together and then added 1 you'd get a very big number.

But if you divided that number by any of the known prime numbers you'd get that 1 back as a remainder.

So you have a very big number that can only be divided by an unknown prime.

Rinse and repeat, it just proves that there is always a bigger prime out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you multiplied all the known prime numbers together and then added 1 you'd get a very big number.

But if you divided that number by any of the known prime numbers you'd get that 1 back as a remainder.

So you have a very big number that can only be divided by an unknown prime.

Rinse and repeat, it just proves that there is always a bigger prime out there.

False. You have a very big number that can probabaly be divided by many many other numbers.

e.g. if your "big number" ends in an odd number...adding one will just make it divisible by 2.

if not, itll probabaly be divisible by some other number, 3 or 5 or 7 etc etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

e.g. if your "big number" ends in an odd number...adding one will just make it divisible by 2.
    Yep. And the product pretty much must be odd if there are an odd number of primes being multiplied (given that all primes bar 2 are odd)

• Advertisement

Since no even numbers from 4 upwards are prime, that will halve the work when looking for new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Since no even numbers from 4 upwards are prime, that will halve the work when looking for new ones.

Whats half of infinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

retalivity wrote: »
    Whats half of infinity?

-1/24?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Whats half of infinity?

o

Whats half of infinity?

Infi or Nity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Don't forget no numbers ending in 5 are primes either. (Except 5 itself, of course)

We've almost solved this, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

cdeb wrote: »
    Don't forget no numbers ending in 5 are primes either. (Except 5 itself, of course)

or 0, 2, 4, 6, 8.

narrows it down even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cdeb wrote: »

So no numbers ending in 5 or even numbers. How many does that leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Evade

Ipso wrote: »
    So no numbers ending in 5 or even numbers. How many does that leave?
    40% of infinity so... infinity?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    o

Ah come on, this is hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Evade wrote: »
    40% of infinity so... infinity?

Unfinity?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Top Tip

you can save some work by only checking numbers from 2 upwards ;)

You can save more time by only checking numbers either side of multiples of six (after doing 2 and 3 that is)
    so you'd only check 5,7 , 11,13 , 17,19 , 23,25 , 29,31 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Muhammad Ali once talked a suicidal man from jumping off the 9th floor of a high rise block in LA
    wrote:
    This is the dramatic moment Muhammad Ali saved a suicidal man who was threatening to jump out of a ninth-floor window in Los Angeles in 1981.

Ali heard the man was sitting on a ledge and preparing to jump to his death so he sped towards the scene, driving the wrong way down roads with his lights flashing as he raced to make it there in time.

The champion boxer ignored the crowds calling out his name as he headed upstairs, before he was seen poking his head out of a window further along the building as he tried to convince the man that his life was worth living.

Ali, told the man: 'You're my brother. I love you and I wouldn't lie to you. You got to listen. I want you to come home with me, meet some friends of mine.'

During the tense 20 minutes, the 21-year-old man, from Michigan, was captured by CBS News telling Ali that no one loved him.

'Why do you worry about me? I'm a nobody,' the man told the three-time heavyweight champion of the world.
    'I told him he wasn't a nobody,' Ali later told the Reading Eagle.

'He saw me weeping and he couldn't believe I was really doing that, that I cared that much about him.'

After miraculously talking the man down, Ali - dressed in a suit and tie - drove him to a police station in his Rolls-Royce and went with him to a psychiatric hospital.

The gathered crowd chanted 'USA! Digs Ali' as he left the scene with the man he had saved.

'I'm going to help him go to school and find a job, buy him some clothes,' Ali said.

'I'm going to go home with him to meet his mother and father. They called him a nobody, so I'm going home with him. I'll walk the streets with him and they'll see he's big.

'Everyday I'm going to visit him in the hospital. I told him I'd stay close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

There was a single Irishman who was held prisoner in Dauchau during World War II. John McGrath, a Roscommon native, blagged his way into the British army at the age of 17 and served in World War I. After he returned home he became the manager of the newly opened Savoy Cinema in Dublin, Cork and finally the Theatre Royal in Dublin.

However, he decided to rejoin the British army to fight in World War II. He progressed up the ranks during this period but was captured by the Germans during the battle of Dunkirk. They attempted to turn McGrath into a German agent with the hope he would sabotage the Allied efforts. This was ultimately unsuccessful as McGrath was caught passing information about the camp back to Ireland.

He was transferred to the concentration camp Sachsenhausen and again to Dachau, where he was seen as a high value prisoner due to his rank of Colonel. Towards the end of the war he was marched by SS officers along with other important prisoners to Tyrol in Austria where eventually the US army caught up with them and was freed.

Sadly, his freedom did not last long as he died at his home on Merrion Square in 1946.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Hitchcock's 1960 movie “Pyscho” is thought to be the first movie that shows a toilet being flushed. It takes place just before Janet Leigh's character takes a shower and subsequently gets stabbed to death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

spoilers man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It all went down the drain after that...

Not your ornery onager

Haven't you seen it yet? The butler did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

salute.jpg.size-custom-crop.0x650.jpg

This, the scene of the medal ceremony for the 200m final of the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, is one of the most Iconic pictures in the history of world sport. While the 2 Black Americans in the picture, John Carlos and Tommie Smith became worldwide icons as a result of their protest, not many people know that the white man in the picture, Australian athlete Peter Norman who finised 2nd, is the one who suffered most because of the controversy.

Norman wore an anti racism badge to the medal ceremony to sympathise with the 2 black Americans and as a result was ostracised by the Australian Athletic federation. He was repeatedly ignored for selection future championships despite repeatedly qualifying for various championships. He was forced to retire from running because he refused to apologise for his actions.

At the 2000 Olympics in Melbourne, Norman was refused a pass from the Australian Athletics Federation but instead was invited to the opening ceremony as a guest of the USA team. The Australians continued to deny him an apology.

Carlos and Smith the 2 Americans in the picture were pall bearers at Norman's funeral in 2006.
    The Australian Government only issued an Apology to Norman and his family after his nephew made a documentary about his life on 2008.

Full story below from https://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/index.html
    wrote:
    It is perhaps the most iconic sports photograph ever taken.
    Captured at the medal ceremony for the men's 200 meters at the 1968 Mexico Olympics, U.S. sprinter Tommie Smith stands defiantly, head bowed, his black-gloved fist thrust into the thin air.
    Behind him fellow American John Carlos joins with his own Black Power salute, an act of defiance aimed at highlighting the segregation and racism burning back in their homeland.
    It was an act that scandalized the Olympics. Smith and Carlos were sent home in disgrace and banned from the Olympics for life. But they were treated as returning heroes by the black community for sacrificing their personal glory for the cause. History, too, has been kind to them.
    Yet few know that the man standing in front of both of them, the Australian sprinter Peter Norman who shocked everyone by powering past Carlos and winning the silver medal, played his own, crucial role in sporting history.
    On his left breast he wore a small badge that read: "Olympic Project for Human Rights" -- an organization set up a year previously opposed to racism in sport. But while Smith and Carlos are now feted as human rights pioneers, the badge was enough to effectively end Norman's career. He returned home to Australia a pariah, suffering unofficial sanction and ridicule as the Black Power salute's forgotten man. He never ran in the Olympics again.
    "As soon as he got home he was hated," explains his nephew Matthew Norman, who has directed a new film -- "Salute!" -- about Peter's life before and after the 1968 Olympics.
    "A lot of people in America didn't realize that Peter had a much bigger role to play. He was fifth (fastest) in the world, and his run is still a Commonwealth record today. And yet he didn't go to Munich (1972 Olympics) because he played up. He would have won a gold.
    "He suffered to the day he died."
    An obscure pick
    Peter Norman grew up in a working-class district of Melbourne. As a youngster he couldn't afford the kit to play Australian Rules Football, his favorite sport. But his father managed to borrow a secondhand pair of running spikes, and his talent for sprinting was quickly recognized. Yet Norman was still an obscure pick when the 28-year-old arrived in the high altitude of Mexico City. It was the first time he had run on an Olympic standard track, and he thrived in the thin air.
    "I could feel my knees bouncing around my chin," Norman said in "Salute!"
    "It lengthened my stride by about 4 inches!"
    It was events off the track that had dominated the lead-up to the 1968 Olympics. In the U.S., the civil rights movement fought running battles with the police and army across America against segregation and racism. Both Martin Luther King Junior and Robert Kennedy had been assassinated and the Vietnam War was raging.
    Meanwhile, in Mexico, hundreds of protesting students were massacred in the run-up to the Games. The regime covered up their deaths as the athletes arrived.
    Australia too, was in the midst of racial strife. The country's "White Australia" policy had provoked protests of its own. It put heavy restrictions on non-white immigration -- and a raft of prejudicial laws against its indigenous aboriginal population, including a policy of taking Aboriginal children from their birth parents and handing them to white couples for adoption, a practice that continued until the 1970s.
    Unexpected threat
    Although Norman was a staunch anti-racism advocate, no one expected him to take a stand in Mexico. The Australian Olympic Committee had laid out just three rules for him to follow. The first was to repeat his qualification time before the Games.
    "Rule number two: don't finish last in any round," Norman recalled.
    "Third, and under no circumstances, don't get beaten by a Pom (a British runner)."
    Norman had previously been ignored by the U.S. team, who had assumed they'd win a clean sweep of medals in the 200 meters, but he burst on to their radar when he broke the Olympic record in one of the early heats.
    "When I first saw Peter, I said, 'Who's this little white guy?' " Carlos told CNN.
    He would soon regret the oversight. When the 200 meters final arrived, all eyes were on the U.S. duo. Smith was expected to win easily ("You wouldn't be able to catch him on a motorbike," was Norman's assessment) but the speculation centered on what political gesture the American athletes might make on the podium.
    The starting pistol was fired and Smith powered to gold. But out of nowhere Norman stormed down the last 50 meters, taking the line before a shocked Carlos. Norman's time of 20 seconds flat would have won gold four years later at the Munich Olympics and at the Sydney Games in 2000.
    A fateful decision
    Smith and Carlos had already decided to make a statement on the podium. They were to wear black gloves. But Carlos left his at the Olympic village. It was Norman who suggested they should wear one each on alternate hands. Yet Norman had no means of making a protest of his own. So he asked a member of the U.S. rowing team for his "Olympic Project for Human Rights" badge, so that he could show solidarity.
    "He came up to me and said, 'Have you got one of those buttons, mate,' " said U.S. rower Paul Hoffman. "If a white Australian is going to ask me for an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge, then by God he would have one. I only had one, which was mine, so I took it off and gave it to him."
    The three men walked towards their destiny. The medals were handed out before the three turned towards the flags and the start of the Star Spangled Banner.
    "I couldn't see what was happening," Norman said of that moment.
    "I had known they had gone through with their plans when a voice in the crowd sang the American anthem but then faded to nothing. The stadium went quiet."
    The fallout was immediate for Smith and Carlos, who were sent home in disgrace. Norman was never given the chance to go a step closer. He was never picked to run in the Olympics again.
    "I would have dearly loved to go to Munich (but) I'd earned the frowning eyes of the powers that be in track and field," he said in "Salute!"
    "I'd qualified for the 200 meters 13 times and 100 meters five times (but) they'd rather leave me home than have me over there (in Munich)."
    Shunned in his own country?
    Norman retired from athletics immediately after hearing he'd been cut from the Munich team. He would never return to the track. Neither would his achievements count for much 28 years later when Sydney hosted the 2000 Olympics.
    "At the Sydney Olympics he wasn't invited in any capacity," says Matthew Norman.
    "There was no outcry. He was the greatest Olympic sprinter in our history."
    In his own country Peter Norman remained the forgotten man. As soon as the U.S. delegation discovered that Norman wasn't going to attend, the United States Olympic Committee arranged to fly him to Sydney to be part of their delegation. He was invited to the birthday party of 200 and 400-meter runner Michael Johnson, where he was to be the guest of honor. Johnson took his hand, hugged him and declared that Norman was one of his biggest heroes.
    "Peter was not sanctioned ... we are not sure why he missed selection in 1972 but it had nothing to do with what happened in Mexico," the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) told CNN when asked about Norman's exclusion from the team that traveled to Munich.
    "Peter was not excluded from any Sydney 2000 celebrations."
    The AOC points out that Australia's greatest ever sprinter had been given several crucial roles in the festivities.
    "He represented the AOC at several team selection announcements," it said, "including the announcement of the table tennis team in his home town of Melbourne prior to the Sydney Games."
    Remembering Peter Norman
    When "Salute!" was released in Australia in 2008 it caused a sensation, breaking box office records. In a country known for its reverence of sporting legends, many were hearing Norman's story for the first time. But he would never see the film that would put his achievements back into the public consciousness.
    Peter Norman died of a heart attack on October 9, 2006.
    At the funeral both Smith and Carlos gave the eulogy, where they announced that the U.S. Track and Field association had declared the day of his death to be "Peter Norman Day" -- the first time in the organization's history that such an honor had been bestowed on a foreign athlete.
    Both men helped carry his coffin before it was lowered into the ground. For them, Norman was a hero -- "A lone soldier," according to Carlos -- for his small but determined stand against racism.
    "He paid the price. This was Peter Norman's stand for human rights, not Peter Norman helping Tommie Smith and John Carlos out," Smith told CNN. The three had remained friends ever since their chance meeting on that podium in Mexico City 44 years ago.
    "He just happened to be a white guy, an Australian white guy, between two black guys in the victory stand believing in the same thing."
    A proud legacy
    Arguably the biggest price Norman paid was the fact that his run in the 200 meters final had been obscured by the Black Power salute. It remains to this day one of the finest, and least expected, individual performances by a sprinter at the modern Olympics.
    By the end of the final, Norman had shaved half a second off his best time. His full potential was never realized yet, even after the ignominy of his return, Norman bore no grudges.
    "It has been said that sharing my silver medal with that incident on the victory dais detracted from my performance," Norman explains poignantly at end of "Salute!"
    "On the contrary. I have to confess, I was rather proud to be part of it."

• Advertisement

The UK gave the $490m contract for the New Blue Passports to a foreign company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement