Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If you shuffle a deck of cards, and deal out all 52 cards, it is virtually a 100% certainty that that combination of cards has never been dealt out ever before.

The odds of the same permutation repeating are 1 in 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,

To give you an idea of how many that is, here is how long it would take to go through every possible permutation of cards. If every star in our galaxy had a trillion planets, each with a trillion people living on them, and each of these people has a trillion packs of cards and somehow they manage to make unique shuffles 1,000 times per second, and they'd been doing that since the Big Bang, they'd only just now be starting to repeat shuffles.

From QI? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

FanadMan wrote: »

Yes indeed. They did it a few years back and Dave repeated it recently. So I suppose that falls into the 'Yes, we did know that' category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

If you shuffle a deck of cards, and deal out all 52 cards, it is virtually a 100% certainty that that combination of cards has never been dealt out ever before.

The odds of the same permutation repeating are 1 in 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,

To give you an idea of how many that is, here is how long it would take to go through every possible permutation of cards. If every star in our galaxy had a trillion planets, each with a trillion people living on them, and each of these people has a trillion packs of cards and somehow they manage to make unique shuffles 1,000 times per second, and they'd been doing that since the Big Bang, they'd only just now be starting to repeat shuffles.

Did your career teach you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yes indeed. They did it a few years back and Dave repeated it recently. So I suppose that falls into the 'Yes, we did know that' category.

Some of us perhaps.... definitely not all of us. No reason for it but I've never seen an episode of QI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Some of us perhaps.... definitely not all of us. No reason for it but I've never seen an episode of QI.

If you like this thread you should give it a go

• Advertisement

You should try to catch a few episodes - particularly the Stephen Fry chaired ones- it's riveting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I love big numbers, like GUIDs. GUID stands for Globally Unique IDentifier. It's the 32 character string of hex digits you may see under the hood of your computer (in the Windows registry for example) and looks like this: 76929408-aacd-4e77-98e1-520c50a3f929

It's designed to represent a set so big that a GUID can be randomly created by a computer and the chance of a clash is infinitesimally small. There are 2^122 (or 5,316,911,983,139,663,491,615,228,241,121,400,000) combinations.

Even if you could process a quadrillion guids per second, it’ll still take you almost 11 quadrillion years to get through all the possibilities. If you had 100,000,000 processors in parallel, you’re still looking at 4^13 years, nearly 3000 times longer than the age of the universe (1.4^10 years)

Even if you could generate the GUIDs infinitely fast, your output file is going to be 2^128*16 = 2^132 bytes in size. That is around 10^27 terabytes. Assuming a one terabyte hard drive weighs around 500 grams, the mass of the earth is 10^24 kilograms, so before you run this program, you will need to acquire 500 earths and convert them all to hard drives just for the storage.

And that is still 15,170,116,681,772,643,725,871,105,728,555 times smaller than the deck of cards combinations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

stimpson wrote: »
    And that is still 15,170,116,681,772,643,725,871,105,728,555 times smaller than the deck of cards combinations!

So how likely am I to win the lotto on Wednesday?

So how likely am I to win the lotto on Wednesday?

That depends. Did you buy a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Sure was, thought it was interesting, so shared it :)
    Doyler92 wrote: »
    Did your career teach you this?

No, it certainly didn't. But to be fair, most of the information on this thread quoted by people hasn't been learned at their jobs either.

• Advertisement

I saw it on QI years ago and it was really....well, interesting :D It's one of the best programmes on TV. Not as good with Sandi Toksvig but still never miss it.

I saw it on QI years ago and it was really....well, interesting :D It's one of the best programmes on TV. Not as good with Sandi Toksvig but still never miss it.

Surely you mean Quite Interesting. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So.... You're saying there IS a chance !!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

50% of all United States territory lies below the ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

More people died from the flu in 1918 than died fighting the Great War between 1914 and 1918

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Cartouche wrote: »
    50% of all United States territory lies below the ocean

Well over 90% of Irelands territory lies below the ocean..
    http://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/irelands-marine-resource/real-map-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

No, it certainly didn't. But to be fair, most of the information on this thread quoted by people hasn't been learned at their jobs either.

You're right with that. I wasn't trying to be smart with that question by the way. The reason I asked was because I work in the poker industry and thought you might too! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The American civil war was the bloodiest war in American history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Roma gypsies are not Romanian

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

So you go to a place and you go on a thing.

Eg: Go to work, go on a trip.

But you go home. why? Because home is considered an adverb of direction similar to backwards, forwards etc.

Home is, apperently, short for 'homeward'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The country Senegal got it's name allegedly from when the first European explorers arrived off the coast. They pointed at the land and asked a local fisherman "What's that called?". "Su-Nu-Gaal" was the answer, and so it became Senegal.

Thing is, the Europeans didn't speak Wolof (local language) and the locals wouldn't have spoken their language either. The mystery is cleared up when you realise that "Su-Nu-Gaal" in Wolof means "That's our canoe".

Red Kev wrote: »
    The country Senegal got it's name allegedly from when the first European explorers arrived off the coast. They pointed at the land and asked a local fisherman "What's that called?". "Su-Nu-Gaal" was the answer, and so it became Senegal.

Thing is, the Europeans didn't speak Wolof (local language) and the locals wouldn't have spoken their language either. The mystery is cleared up when you realise that "Su-Nu-Gaal" in Wolof means "That's our canoe".

That's like Kangaroo which means "I don't know" in aboriginal.

Edit: upon further research that appears to be a myth.

Red Kev wrote: »

Modern historians say the name referred to the Sanhaja, Berbers who lived on the north side of the Senegal river. But they play on the canoe myth for tourists in Senegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm currently reading The QI Book of General Ignorance, which I would encourage if you're enjoying this thread. It's full of the kinds of things you thought were new, but are probably wrong about. It says, for example, that there are more pet tigers in the USA (~ 12,000) than wild in all their natural habitats (est. 5,100-7,500).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

bnt wrote: »
    I'm currently reading The QI Book of General Ignorance, which I would encourage if you're enjoying this thread. It's full of the kinds of things you thought were new, but are probably wrong about. It says, for example, that there are more pet tigers in the USA (~ 12,000) than wild in all their natural habitats (est. 5,100-7,500).

Another for QI fans, the show's researchers have their own podcast called "No such thing as a fish". I think its very entertaining, well worth a listen, and full of useless facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The only US states to previously have been independent countries were Texas, Hawaii and (bizarrely) Vermont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ahlookit wrote: »
    Another for QI fans, the show's researchers have their own podcast called "No such thing as a fish". I think its very entertaining, well worth a listen, and full of useless facts!

4 researchers from QI (might be the same people) have a TV show called "no such thing as the news " on BBC 2 which is quite humorous .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Roma gypsies are not Romanian

Some are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

4 researchers from QI (might be the same people) have a TV show called "no such thing as the news " on BBC 2 which is quite humorous .

That's a great show. Haven't seen it in a while though, is it still on?

• Advertisement

That's a great show. Haven't seen it in a while though, is it still on?

Friday nights at 10 on BBC1. Or every night on Dave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement