Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Scottish Prison Service last year found that 43.4 per cent of inmates had consumed Buckfast before their last offence despite accounting for less than one per cent of total alcohol sales nationally.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

On a similar note Fanta was invented ini germany during WW2 because the company that did produce coca-cola in germany couldn't get the syrup for it.

And it didn't taste like orange at all, 'cause it didn't contain any.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I bet you didn't know I was a bodhran player. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Italians came up with a sort of ersatz chocolate extender-substitute just after war II

Ferrero now have 32,990 employees and a turnover of €10.5Bn and use 25% of the worlds supply of hazelnuts because people like Nutella.

Did you know that hazelnuts were used in Ancient Egypt for teh embalming process ?
    Or at least that's what's said by the team that discovered Pharaoh Roche.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Did you know that hazelnuts were used in Ancient Egypt for teh embalming process ?
    Or at least that's what's said by the team that discovered Pharaoh Roche.
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement

The sea wasn't always blue.
    It used to be brown because of all the iron dissolved in it.

When the first cyanobacteria started producing oxygen it all reacted with (rusted) the iron. So not much got out of the ocean. Eventually there was no dissolved iron left so the oxygen could finally get into the atmosphere.

And then it burnt away the greenhouse gas methane which meant the earth got a lot colder and hey presto - Snowball Earth - for a couple a' hundred million years.

Climate change is not a new thing. And by looking at the past we can see how bad things got.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When the first cyanobacteria started producing oxygen it all reacted with (rusted) the iron. So not much got out of the ocean. Eventually there was no dissolved iron left so the oxygen could finally get into the atmosphere.

And then it burnt away the greenhouse gas methane which meant the earth got a lot colder and hey presto - Snowball Earth - for a couple a' hundred million years.

Climate change is not a new thing. And by looking at the past we can see how bad things got.

Except that back then we probably weren't the cause of it. :/

Those pesky cyanobacteria! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Fanta sold in the USA has no orange or any other fruit in it, Fanta in Ireland does (but not much).

USA: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE (TO PROTECT TASTE), NATURAL FLAVORS, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATES, GLYCEROL ESTER OF ROSIN, YELLOW 6, RED 40.

Ireland: Carbonated Water, Sugar, Orange Juice from Concentrate 8%, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Stabilisers (Acacia Gum, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Glycerol Esters of Wood Rosins), Sweeteners (Acesulfame K, Aspartame), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Gluconate), Natural Orange Flavourings with other Natural Flavourings, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Colour (Carotenes)

They both have the same amount of sugar (44g per can).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Some would say the sea isn’t blue now. Not on a grey day anyway.

More interesting is the fact that the ancients couldn’t see the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

• Advertisement

The three wise men are not only the most sought after roles in a Nativity play after Joseph and Mary, they're also a misinterpretation of the bible verse that refers to the chaps from the east with the goodies.

Matthew 2:1: "Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of
    Herod the king, behold, there came Magi from the east to Jerusalem" and in a later verse they present the three gifts.

The reference is to three gifts, not three Magi. There could have been five cheapskates with three gifts between them and not so much as a packet of Jaffa cakes for the tea.

Some would say the sea isn’t blue now. Not on a grey day anyway.

More interesting is the fact that the ancients couldn’t see the blue.
    Oh they could. They just didn't use different words for it.

Lapis lazuli has been mined for thousands of years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not sure if true:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Not sure if true:

Someone got that wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

About nutella.

If ya ask people what are the main two ingredients people usually guess at milk or hazelnuts.

The vast majority of nutella is vegetable oil and sugar. Mixed together

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The female fig wasp is born pregnant.

Both males and females hatch inside a fig flower. The males hatch first, mate with the unborn females, and die soon after.

The females emerge from the flower, fly off to find another flower to lay its eggs in, and then dies soon after.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Lt. Col. "Mad" Jack Churchill was the only British soldier in World War II that killed an enemy soldier with a longbow. He insisted upon going into battle with a medieval bow and a claymore sword. The kill occurred in May 1940 when Churchill and his unit, the Manchester Regiment, ambushed a German patrol near L'Épinette (near Richebourg in the Pas-de-Calais), France.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

mzungu wrote: »
    Lt. Col. "Mad" Jack Churchill was the only British soldier in World War II that killed an enemy soldier with a longbow. He insisted upon going into battle with a medieval bow and a claymore sword. The kill occurred in May 1940 when Churchill and his unit, the Manchester Regiment, ambushed a German patrol near L'Épinette (near Richebourg in the Pas-de-Calais), France.

He also led from the front in attacks against enemies, often while playing the bagpipes. Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

Nothing too fascinating, but today I found out that ”I Got My Mind Set On You” by George Harrison, “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” by UB40 & Robert Palmer and “No More ‘I Love You’s” by Annie Lennox are all cover versions...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My Gran Uncle was an RAF fighter pilot during WW2. When he'd get leave he'd come home to his parents house in Roscrea.

He never spoke about what he saw until his death. But when he was home he would mark off fallen members of his Squadron from the pic his mother kept with a black marker from their orginal photograph.

His career ended shortly before the end of the war. His plane malfunctioned on take off from an aircraft carrier and dove into the ocean . The crew of the Ship managed to fish him out. He was badly injured , multiple broken bones but survied and never had to sit in the cockpit of a fighter plane again thank God.

• Advertisement

Oh they could. They just didn't use different words for it.

Lapis lazuli has been mined for thousands of years

Well if you are saying that they used the term Lapis luzelli in general for blue, you’re wrong. That said the Egyptians were the first to have a word for blue in general that we know of. The Greeks didn’t call the sky nor the sea blue. Wine dark as Homer called it which apparently actually means reddish as he used it in other contexts for reddish oxen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_dark_sea_(Homer)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"The snotgreen sea. The scrotumtightening sea."
    - James Joyce, Ulysses, 1922

Incidentally, and ironically, Joyce insisted on using a blue cover for ulysses, because of its links to Homer and ancient Greece (he used the shade of blue of the Greek flag). The idea that Greeks didn't recognize blue would have tickled him, whether true or not.

Yes but he could have used blue because there’s a word for blue. And snot green isn’t a bad description of the Irish seas.

Yes but he could have used blue because there’s a word for blue. And snot green isn’t a bad description of the Irish seas.
    Yeah I just wanted to point out the clever Homeric reference he used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

jasonb wrote: »
    Nothing too fascinating, but today I found out that ”I Got My Mind Set On You” by George Harrison, “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” by UB40 & Robert Palmer and “No More ‘I Love You’s” by Annie Lennox are all cover versions...

Bob Dylan originally done I'll be your baby, George Harrison covered Weird Al's song "This song is only six words long".
    One of the above may not be true.

Another version of song that is probably more popular than the original, The Clash's version of I fought the law.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Fought_the_Law

Candie wrote: »
    The three wise men are not only the most sought after roles in a Nativity play after Joseph and Mary, they're also a misinterpretation of the bible verse that refers to the chaps from the east with the goodies.

Matthew 2:1: "Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of
    Herod the king, behold, there came Magi from the east to Jerusalem" and in a later verse they present the three gifts.

The reference is to three gifts, not three Magi. There could have been five cheapskates with three gifts between them and not so much as a packet of Jaffa cakes for the tea.

I saw an interesting tv show when I was in Australia (not sure if it would have been shown in Ireland).
    It looked at the idea of Jesus surviving the crucifixion and fleeing to India.
    Supposedly there is a village in Kashmir where there is a legend of a prophet form the Middle East who was called Iosa who came there to study Buddhism when he was a teenager for a number of years (a period of Jesus' life that really isn't covered in the bible).
    This person is supposedly buried there and there is a carving of his feet which has marks of what looks like stigmata.
    One of the areas it looked at was show a lot of Jesus' teaching of turn the other cheek etc was very different from Old Testament teaching and similar to Buddhism.
    It also referenced the three magi and the fact they came from the East and possible links to Buddhism.
    Anyway I found it interesting and would file it under the category of could be true. But as with a lot of things when you start googling, there is a mountain of nonsense to wade through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any of you geeks know anything about a Saharan dust cloud that blew over here in the early/mid 90’s? I know I could google it but I’m wondering if people here have memories of it. I was only a child. I remember a filthy reddish sand all over everything. Was it expected? What was the reaction? I assume a storm sent it over?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

woPWFVur.jpg

Wasn’t it that one guy was on board all and managed to survive all three disasters, the Titanic the Olympic and the Britannic, all sister ships?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement