Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Any of you geeks know anything about a Saharan dust cloud that blew over here in the early/mid 90’s? I know I could google it but I’m wondering if people here have memories of it. I was only a child. I remember a filthy reddish sand all over everything. Was it expected? What was the reaction? I assume a storm sent it over?

It has happened several times. A dusting of reddish sand/dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Would that just be the sirocco winds getting a bit out of hand?

Ipso wrote: »
    Would that just be the sirocco winds getting a bit out of hand?

No, there is a frequent wind pattern from tropical Africa towards Ireland. Usually the sand content is washed out by rain en route, but occasionally it passes through a dry zone resulting in a quantity of sand in the air when it reaches us.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I saw an interesting tv show when I was in Australia (not sure if it would have been shown in Ireland).
    It looked at the idea of Jesus surviving the crucifixion and fleeing to India.
    Supposedly there is a village in Kashmir where there is a legend of a prophet form the Middle East who was called Iosa who came there to study Buddhism when he was a teenager for a number of years (a period of Jesus' life that really isn't covered in the bible).
    This person is supposedly buried there and there is a carving of his feet which has marks of what looks like stigmata.
    One of the areas it looked at was show a lot of Jesus' teaching of turn the other cheek etc was very different from Old Testament teaching and similar to Buddhism.
    It also referenced the three magi and the fact they came from the East and possible links to Buddhism.
    Anyway I found it interesting and would file it under the category of could be true. But as with a lot of things when you start googling, there is a mountain of nonsense to wade through.

The theory is that Jesus, as son of a carpenter would have spent some time as a wandering apprentice. he would have travelled for a few years and learnt various techniques and methods from the areas where he travelled through. You usually worked for bed , board and enough to buy a meal and about 2 pints of wine once a week.

This form of apprenticeship is where the term "Journeyman" comes from. Whilst it has largely died out in these islands it is still especially common in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

There are a number of rules, which vary from guild to guild, such as you not being allowed to come within 50 km of your home for the 3 years of the Walz and leaving and returning with no more than €5. You coukld have no responsibilities before you leave like being married, having kids or a debt and you needed to keep a diary of what you learned.

They are recognised by their clothing, this is a picture of them, I often picked hem up hitchhiking when I lived in Germany. They only carry their tools and a change of clothes with them.

wandergesellen.jpg?w=584

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Dolphins are assholes

There was peculiar case where porpoises kept washing up in various locations with serious signs of death by blunt force trauma.
    It was a mystery as to why this kept happening with many people speculating they were being hit by ships propellers, jet skis etc. But the injuries were multiple and without lacerations. Normally if hit by a proppelor they would be cut up and if hit by a fast boat would have only one major injury.

Around the same time, in Florida sightseeing boats were reporting that dolphin parents were playing with their young and showing them off to tourists by throwing them out of the water into the air. You know just having a laugh with their kids the same way humans do.

Well it turned out what the tourist were actually witnessing was infanticide. The same way a male lion might kill cubs of another father or just to be a dick.

How's that connected to the porpoises? An adult porpoise is around the same size as a baby dolphin.
    The ****ers were using them for practice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It has happened several times. A dusting of reddish sand/dust.

During the end of Ophelia the UK was covered by red dust coming from the desert, which also accounted for the eery light during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Omackeral wrote: »
    Any of you geeks know anything about a Saharan dust cloud that blew over here in the early/mid 90’s? I know I could google it but I’m wondering if people here have memories of it. I was only a child. I remember a filthy reddish sand all over everything. Was it expected? What was the reaction? I assume a storm sent it over?

Happens every so often, I remember it in the 1970's, just a film of dust on cars in Dublin, but the soil is full of nutrients, so good for land, especially ploughed land.

Some of it ended up in Eastern Europe and Russia over the weekend, maks it look like a Martian landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgqicSyFcPy/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_profile_upsell_test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I saw an interesting tv show when I was in Australia (not sure if it would have been shown in Ireland).
    Supposedly there is a village in Kashmir where there is a legend of a prophet form the Middle East who was called Iosa who came there to study Buddhism when he was a teenager for a number of years (a period of Jesus' life that really isn't covered in the bible).
    This person is supposedly buried there and there is a carving of his feet which has marks of what looks like stigmata.
    One of the areas it looked at was show a lot of Jesus' teaching of turn the other cheek etc was very different from Old Testament teaching and similar to Buddhism.
    It also referenced the three magi and the fact they came from the East and possible links to Buddhism.
    Anyway I found it interesting and would file it under the category of could be true. But as with a lot of things when you start googling, there is a mountain of nonsense to wade through.

The Old Testament didn’t seem to influence him. I’d believe he was influenced by the eastern philosophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

New Home wrote: »
    During the end of Ophelia the UK was covered by red dust coming from the desert, which also accounted for the eery light during the day.

It actually came down in the rain in the southeast of Ireland too from Ophelia.
    Cars were covered in the dust.

During the summer last year a smoke haze covered Ireland for a day or so.
    That haze came from wildfires over in the U.S. of A.

Edit: That smoke haze that originated from America showed up in Ireland on the 6th of September 2017. Just to be precise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

somefeen wrote: »
    Dolphins are assholes

There was peculiar case where porpoises kept washing up in various locations with serious signs of death by blunt force trauma.
    It was a mystery as to why this kept happening with many people speculating they were being hit by ships propellers, jet skis etc. But the injuries were multiple and without lacerations. Normally if hit by a proppelor they would be cut up and if hit by a fast boat would have only one major injury.

Around the same time, in Florida sightseeing boats were reporting that dolphin parents were playing with their young and showing them off to tourists by throwing them out of the water into the air. You know just having a laugh with their kids the same way humans do.

Well it turned out what the tourist were actually witnessing was infanticide. The same way a male lion might kill cubs of another father or just to be a dick.

How's that connected to the porpoises? An adult porpoise is around the same size as a baby dolphin.
    The ****ers were using them for practice.

You reckon they were doing it on porpoise? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The misused/derogatory term Navi in Britain came from the endless amount of Irishmen that came to Britain to build its canals. ‘Inland navigators’ was the official term. Hence Navi

david75 wrote: »
    The misused/derogatory term Navi in Britain came from the endless amount of Irishmen that came to Britain to build its canals. ‘Inland navigators’ was the official term. Hence Navi

It's Navvy and is short for Navigator, as they dug canals or 'navigations' in the 18th century. They were called Navvys long before the influx of Irish to the labour force and were originally overwhelmingly English. The Irish dimension really only took over when Railway construction took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

don't know about the rest of the country but there was a dusting of it down here in the south east after that b..ch ophelia passed . It happens every so often down here if by chance we get a spell of strong dry southerly wind .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The Old Testament didn’t seem to influence him. I’d believe he was influenced by the eastern philosophies.

The teachings have a mixture of Essene and Rabbinic influence. The latter comes from/filters through Paul who was a central early teacher and he was from a Rabbinic people and background. The former was the spiritual school in that part of the Levant contemporary to JC and whose content was largely in line with his. John the Baptist was almost certainly an Essene also.

During antiquity there was a great proliferation of ideas and thought around the Fertile Crescent. Mesopotamia to Egypt. The ancient Vedic civilisation. These civilisations influencing and influenced by each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

It's Navvy and is short for Navigator, as they dug canals or 'navigations' in the 18th century....

There is a road on outskirts of Mallow called Navigation Road....because they dug a canal alongside it (to link the town to the outlining areas). If you take the Killarney road out of Mallow, and pass the racecourse, the old canal is on the right, parallel to the road, and now very overgrown by trees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you've ever seen a lot of smoke coming from a steam engine on old films this may interest you, during locomotive trials* at the start of the 20th century they reckoned that up to 40% of the fuel went out the chimney at peak power.

*reminds me of the 1921 sheepdog trials. Four of them were hanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

*reminds me of the 1921 sheepdog trials. Four of them were hanged.

Whats the story behind that? Any links with info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

368100 wrote: »

If you could link to page forty seven of the Bumper Joke Book :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Trials? Hanged? Geddit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Trials? Hanged? Geddit? :D

Was it a hung jury then :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It costs the U.S. Mint almost twice as much to mint each penny and nickel as the coins are actually worth. In 2013 the taxpayer lost over $100 million just through the coins being made.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

368100 wrote: »

A - it was an attempt at humour

B - Topsy the elephant was given 460 grams of potassium cyanide and then 6,000 Volts before having a steam winch tighten nooses around her neck for 10 minutes.

mzungu wrote: »
    It costs the U.S. Mint almost twice as much to mint each penny and nickel as the coins are actually worth. In 2013 the taxpayer lost over $100 million just through the coins being made.
    And there are VERY strict laws on melting down or exporting those coins.

The value of those coins is in the frequent transactions they are used for. If a 1c coin generates 0.02c on an average transaction and is used 100 times then it's worth making even it costs 1.5c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

A - it was an attempt at humour

B - Topsy the elephant was given 460 grams of potassium cyanide and then 6,000 Volts before having a steam winch tighten nooses around her neck for 10 minutes.

Way over my head :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A very interesting way of looking at languages and translation....

https://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/12/differences-among-languages
    ROMAN JAKOBSON, a linguist, is credited with the notion that languages differ not so much in what they can express as what they must express. The common trope that language X has no word for Y is usually useless (it usually means language X uses several words instead of one for Y). But languages do differ significantly in what they force speakers to express, something Lera Boroditsky talks about often in support of the "linguistic relativity" hypothesis.

iamloved.jpg

I was thinking of this today when on the subway, I saw a young man whose shoulder bag bore six red buttons, with "I am loved" written in white, identical except that each was in a different language. They look like this. (I later learned that this is an old campaign that began with the Helzberg Diamond company.)

What struck me was that three of the buttons identified him as female: soy amada (Spanish), io sono amata (Italian) and sou amada (Portuguese). In each, the past participle of "to love" (amar/amare) must agree with the loved thing, and the -a is a feminine ending. The young chap should have had soy amado etc. The poor button-makers had to pick one or the other, and chose feminine.

The German forced no such choice: a man or a woman can say Ich bin geliebt, as the young commuter's pin did. And Russian doesn't require it either, but the translation is menya lyubyat, "they love me".

And Russian (more than most languages) forces a bunch of other distinctions on English speakers. The average verb of motion requires you to express whether you're going by vehicle or foot, one-direction or multidirectionally, and in the past tense, makes you include an ending for your own gender. So "I went" would, in one Russian word (khodila, say), express "I [a female] went [by foot] [and I came back]." If you don't want to express all of that, tough luck. You have to. Jakobson himself was Russian. Perhaps his native language led him to the insight above; learning the English verb go might have had the Russian wondering "that's it? By what means? There and back, or what? We would never put up with this in Russian."

When most people tell you some very unusual word "can't be translated", they usually mean words like these "Relationship words that aren't translatable into English": shockingly specific single words in other languages like mamihlapinatapei, which is apparently Yagan for "the wordless yet meaningful look shared by two people who desire to initiate something, but are both reluctant to start." But of course mamihlapinatapei is translatable into English. It's "the wordless yet meaningful look shared by two people who desire to initiate something, but are both reluctant to start." Needing several words for one isn't the same as untranslatability.

What really can't be translated properly is "go" into Russian, or "loved" into Spanish, not because the English words are too specific but because they're too vague. Those languages force you to say much more, meaning the poor Helzberg Diamond people can't make a single button reading "I am loved" in Spanish for both men and women. The traditional idea of "can't be translated" has the facts exactly backwards. Who knew that the truly untranslatable words were those that say the least?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,966 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

And there are VERY strict laws on melting down or exporting those coins.

The value of those coins is in the frequent transactions they are used for. If a 1c coin generates 0.02c on an average transaction and is used 100 times then it's worth making even it costs 1.5c.

Some people expect the one cent coins to cease as currency. Which they think will allow them to be melted. So they are collecting vast numbers of the coins. I posted about this on Page 301, post #4515.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

In ye olden days soft silver and gold coins would be clipped (a bit cut off the edge) or shaken in a bag to get silver/gold dust off them. The clippings or dust would be melted and sold on in bars or used to make counterfeit coins.

I have one like the below, Edward the 1st, you can see the clipping clearly. But my coin also has an additional method of cunning silver extraction on it. A small hole in one quadrant where a small bit of silver was punched out.

edward1stclass1alondongvfvf130.jpg

It's Japanese Jesus territory again :) I've read about this, the tomb in Srinagar is inside the Rozabal shrine which was already considered sacred as the tomb of a very holy Muslim Iman, then it was said to also house Jesus's remains. It's a story that only goes back as far as the 19th Century and it was heavily promoted when the tourist potential was realized, and the tourist influx has been good to the area since.

Jesus is alleged to have been all over the place, but the evidence for the historicity of Jesus outside of religious texts is very poor (nary a mention, aside from the Roman historian Tacitus mentioning a Christus suffering crucifixion in the approximate time frame). There are stories of Jesus being in Ethiopia and Somalia for years or decades, but again they're relatively new.

Ethiopia also claims (or is one of the claimants) to be home to the Ark of The Covenant, kept hidden from view and under constant guard in a church in Axom, but since no one is allowed see it it's hard to ascertain what it is that actually have. The priest in charge announced he was going to unveil it about ten years ago, but changed his mind at the last minute. The Ark is claimed to be in dozens of places, from Rome to South Africa to England to the Hill of Tara, but like Jesus, evidence for the historicity of the Ark outside of religious writings is hard to find.

Of course absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence so I don't mean any of that to sound dismissive or insulting to people of faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Tacitus Is referring to Christians and their beliefs so his passage doesn’t tell us anything.

There’s a risk of some a&a members descending on this thread but the historicity of Jesus isn’t really doubted these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tacitus Is referring to Christians and their beliefs so his passage doesn’t tell us anything.

There’s a risk of some a&a members descending on this thread but the historicity of Jesus isn’t really doubted these days.

Isn't doubted by who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement