Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The value of those coins is in the frequent transactions they are used for. If a 1c coin generates 0.02c on an average transaction and is used 100 times then it's worth making even it costs 1.5c.

I'm not sure I understand this - what do you mean by "if it generates .02c"? If the use of that particular coin allows an additional profit of .02c to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Januarz 22nd 1997, Lottie Williams is strolling through a park in Tulsa, Oklahoma, when she sees a flash of light resembling a meteor. A short while later, she is struck on the shoulder by a piece of metal apparently from a disintegrating rocket, making her the only person believed to have been hit by a piece of space debris on earth.

This may change next week when the Tiangong-1 space station comes crashing down to earth. It cannot hit us as it will only crash along the path of its orbit, between 43N and 43S.

So somewhere in the green bits on this map. https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/6bacae749c61e9dc18319b3c7ae4cd056459bb38/0_0_1024_375/master/1024.png?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

1024.png?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

The largest object to ever to fall to earth was Skylab in 1979, large chunks of it were found in the almost uninhabited parts of Western Australia, though some of it hit the roof of a house in Esperance, about 600Km SE of Perth. Here's a pic of a resident with bits of Skylab.

dd98a5f62c65d461c0e269425dd21eaf.jpg

And if you get hit, then you sue the country where it was launched, in this case, China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

[QUOTE= it will only crash along the path of its orbit, between 43N and 43S.
    [/QUOTE]

:confused::confused::(:(:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That link isn't working for me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's not working for me, either, this is what I'm getting:

Error 401 Unauthorized

Unauthorized

Guru Mediation:

Details: cache-hhn1531-HHN 1522142355 3127611484

Varnish cache server

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

New Home wrote: »

Error 401 Unauthorized

Unauthorized

Guru Mediation:

Varnish cache server

aliens.jpg

Greybottle wrote: »
    It cannot hit us as it will only crash along the path of its orbit, between 43N and 43S.

Somewhere between 43 degrees North and 43 degrees South, sometime between March 30th and April 2nd.

That's certainly an impressive level of precision right there:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:eek: *Insert Homer-like scream*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Guru Mediation:
    Geeky, but Guru Meditation error originates from the Amiga computer back in 1985( bought by Commodore ). If it crashed it would show the Guru Meditation error with the error code. It was designed by a bunch of hippies who would meditate after a crash to reduce the frustration.
    The OS/CPU had no memory protection and it was one of the first consumer preemptive multitasking OS's so crashes were frequently when writing software as your process could overwrite the memory of another and cause a system crash.

It has been adopted by some web servers for errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Error 401 Unauthorized

Unauthorized

Guru Mediation:

Varnish cache server
    It's in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/27/tiangong-1-crash-everything-you-need-to-know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

retalivity wrote: »
    Brexit has been a parody of itself for years now, and shows no signs of stopping.

There are 4 passport colours in the world (or shades of 4 colours), and the colour usally indicates what geographic region they are from.

Red is historically used by commie countries, but was also adopted by the eu in their burgundy shade.
    Blue is used by 'new world' countries to distinguish themselves from old world - primarily used in the americas and err....britain soon?
    Green is used in countries where islam is predominant
    Black is used in a number of countries as it looks 'cleanee' or where it is the national colour - primarily africa or nz

South Africa has a green passport, and would not be predominantly Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

seagull wrote: »
    South Africa has a green passport, and would not be predominantly Muslim.

As does Taiwan and it's not predominantly Muslim either.

548-Vicodin.jpg?resize=500%2C500

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Candie wrote: »
    Life does seem to be out to get some people, but they keep surviving anyway. I love life stories like that.

You should watch Final Destination 1-6. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Somewhere between 43 degrees North and 43 degrees South, sometime between March 30th and April 2nd.

That's certainly an impressive level of precision right there:D

To be fair it’s crashing not landing.

90%+ of the worlds population could be hit. Surely they can narrow it down a bit more than that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Greybottle wrote: »
    The largest object to ever to fall to earth was Skylab in 1979, large chunks of it were found in the almost uninhabited parts of Western Australia, though some of it hit the roof of a house in Esperance, about 600Km SE of Perth.
    Mir was bigger, unless you are counting internal volume , in which case it's the space shuttle tanks.

Theia hit the earth about 4.5 billion years ago. It was the size of planet Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quazzie wrote: »
    90%+ of the worlds population could be hit. Surely they can narrow it down a bit more than that

90%+ of the world's population?. Dunno about that. It's only 30ft long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Mir was bigger, unless you are counting internal volume , in which case it's the space shuttle tanks.

Theia hit the earth about 4.5 billion years ago. It was the size of planet Mars.
    Was thinking the same but that really didn't "fall" to earth, damn semsntics

90%+ of the world's population?. Dunno about that. It's only 30ft long.

I think you misunderstood my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I think you misunderstood my post

Nah I was just being a smartass.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,719 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oldtree wrote: »
    In ye olden days soft silver and gold coins would be clipped (a bit cut off the edge) or shaken in a bag to get silver/gold dust off them. The clippings or dust would be melted and sold on in bars or used to make counterfeit coins.

I have one like the below, Edward the 1st, you can see the clipping clearly. But my coin also has an additional method of cunning silver extraction on it. A small hole in one quadrant where a small bit of silver was punched out.

edward1stclass1alondongvfvf130.jpg

That was why they began putting ridges along the edge. If it was clipped you could tell instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah they probably just didn't bother their holes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Park ranger Roy C. Sullivan holds the record for being struck the most times by lightening and surviving. He was struck a total of seven times in a 35 year period between 1942 and 1977.

According to wiki:
    The odds of being struck by lightning for a person over the period of 80 years have been roughly estimated as 1:10000. If the lightning strikes were independent events, the probability of being hit seven times would be 1:100007 = 1:1028. These numbers do not quite apply to Sullivan, however, who by the nature of his work was more exposed to storms than the average person. Virginia, where he lived, averages 35 to 45 thunderstorm days per year, most of which fall in June, July, and August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan
    He died of a self inflicted gunshot wound in 1977.

Statistics wouldn't be my strong point - but I have to question this maths.

How the hell could you be statistically 10 times more likely to get hit 7 times, than to get hit once?
    By those calculations you're guaranteed to be struck by lightening 10,000 times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Irish freestate passport. (You’ll never guess what colour :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Statistics wouldn't be my strong point - but I have to question this maths.

How the hell could you be statistically 10 times more likely to get hit 7 times, than to get hit once?
    By those calculations you're guaranteed to be struck by lightening 10,000 times!

It is just the way that the numbers have been copied and pasted. the odds of being struck once are 1:10000. the odds of being struck seven times are 1:10000 to the power of 7 not 1:100007. this is the equivalent of 1:10 to the power of 28 not 1:1028.

I understand that....but still we're talking about a roughly 10,000km band around the equator, over a 4 day time frame. As predictions go, it's pretty much "something is going to happen, somewhere, sometime"

It is just the way that the numbers have been copied and pasted. the odds of being struck once are 1:10000. the odds of being struck seven times are 1:10000 to the power of 7 not 1:100007. this is the equivalent of 1:10 to the power of 28 not 1:1028.

That makes much more sense!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That makes much more sense!:D

Of course if the boards software allowed the use of TeX then this misunderstanding would never have happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement