Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Where's the Rome in Zealandia?

Right here -36.275763, 171.955730

I know this because I spent a holiday here in one of my previous lives. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Portland was named by a coin toss. Had the coin landed the other way, the city would be Boston, Oregon.

The two founders of Portland, Francis Pettygrove from Portland, Maine and Asa Lovejoy from Boston, Massachusetts, both wanted to name it after their respective home towns. The coin toss was decided in 1845 with two out of three tosses which Pettygrove won.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

A foetus has a heartbeat at six weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Where's the Rome in Zealandia?
    I should have added the disclaimer that (mostly) underwater continents do not apply! :D
    Australia ain't part of Zealandia.... ;)
    And just for the record Zealandia is now considered a proper (albeit sunken) continent rather than just an extra bit lying around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia
    As no official body exists to declare a continent, it might take a while for that to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I bet you didn't know that half the threads on AH are already devoted to abortion debate (just kidding, you know that full well, we can see your posting history) and nobody here wants to have this great thread derailed by a surreptitious introduction of the subject here (just kidding, you know that full well, you just don't care).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

A young Mike Tyson made a promise to great Muhammed Ali, during a phone call, that he would get revenge on Larry Holmes for the vicious beating he gave Ali in his final fight.

True to his word, Tyson would fight Holmes - but before the fight began, Ali stepped into the ring and said to Tyson "Remember what you promised me..." and well, the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

unless i see footage of Ali stepping in to the ring im not sure i believe that one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A foetus has a heartbeat at six weeks.

Mod: I'm not letting you ruin the greatest thread in AH with this bullshit. Don't post in this thread again please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

I'll post wherever the hell I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

unless i see footage of Ali stepping in to the ring im not sure i believe that one

Starts at 0:12 here. We can't hear what he says, but I think they all verified it later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll post wherever the hell I like.

If you question mod instruction and post in a thread you are banned from you get banned.

Now I bet you didn't know that ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

MBlS7Wr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

Neil Armstrong, and the crew from Apollo 11, upon splashing down from their trip to the moon, had to go through US customs and immigration.

Their customs declaration form:
    Apollo-11-Immigration-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Stanley Kubrick could fake anything!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    Stanley Kubrick could fake anything!
    When asked about the huge cost of filming 2001 A Space Odyssey he pointed out that NASA were spending that much every day.

They used Hasselblad cameras with real 70mm film and you could get copies.
    The black and white stuff was 170 lines/mm so something like eleven thousand pixels wide.

And there was no CGI back then.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720010768.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mzungu wrote: »
    Portland was named by a coin toss. Had the coin landed the other way, the city would be Boston, Oregon.

The two founders of Portland, Francis Pettygrove from Portland, Maine and Asa Lovejoy from Boston, Massachusetts, both wanted to name it after their respective home towns. The coin toss was decided in 1845 with two out of three tosses which Pettygrove won.

Reminds me of one. Don’t know the exact facts but I’m sure someone here will set the record straight.......

At the turn of the last century (1999), the question was asked, what was the pivotal moment of the last millennia?

The winner was the vote in US about whether the first language of the US would be English or German. English won by one vote. If the vote went the other way, the US would have backed Germany in WW2 and we’d all be typing in German here now.

Gute nacht meine freund :)

Reminds me of one. Don’t know the exact facts but I’m sure someone here will set the record straight.......

At the turn of the last century (1999), the question was asked, what was the pivotal moment of the last millennia?

The winner was the vote in US about whether the first language of the US would be English or German. English won by one vote. If the vote went the other way, the US would have backed Germany in WW2 and we’d all be typing in German here now.

Sadly it's not a true story, although it's really widely believed.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-german-vote/

Basically there wasn't a vote on the official language at all. There was much more modest proposal to publish laws in German AS WELL AS English, but it never even became a bill, so wasn't voted on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Apparently not true unfortunately!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the vote went the other way, the US would have backed Germany in WW2 and we’d all be typing in German here now.
    When asked what was the greatest political fact of modern times, Otto von Bismarck is reported to have responded, that it was
    "the inherited and permanent fact that North America speaks English."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The contraceptive pill works equally well on Gorillas.

• Advertisement

I have an image of someone saying that a little too enthusiastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Speaking from experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The contraceptive pill used to be given (don't know if this still happens) to teenage boys whose growth seemed to be getting out of hand.

Narrowly avoided that one myself :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The first soldier to die in the American civil war was Daniel Hough, an Irish immigrant from Tipperary. His death was accidental, caused by an exploding cannon during the Union surrender at Fort Sumter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The expression " left on the shelf" for unmarried daughters meant literally that. Old Irish houses had part ceilings eg shelves as extra sleeping space and that was where the girls slept until they married . There is one at the village at the Red Fox, near Glenbeigh...

I was told that by one of the old bann an ti at the Traditional Farms at Muckross, Killarney, and as I did not really believe her, I looked it up and behold!

In an article on Anne Hathway's house

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/documents/792/AHC_Teachers_Guide.pdf
    This bedchamber is over what is now the Parlour and is located where the sleeping shelf for the unmarried females and young children may have been in the original house (although the shelf would not have covered the whole of the current floor space).

Goes way back..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Graces7 wrote: »
    The expression " left on the shelf" for unmarried daughters meant literally that. Old Irish houses had part ceilings eg shelves as extra sleeping space and that was where the girls slept until they married . There is one at the village at the Red Fox, near Glenbeigh...

I was told that by one of the old bann an ti at the Traditional Farms at Muckross, Killarney, and as I did not really believe her, I looked it up and behold!

In an article on Anne Hathway's house

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/documents/792/AHC_Teachers_Guide.pdf
    This bedchamber is over what is now the Parlour and is located where the sleeping shelf for the unmarried females and young children may have been in the original house (although the shelf would not have covered the whole of the current floor space).

Goes way back..

I have one of those in my house. Built by my great great grandparents and that's where my Granny slept as a child. It was closed off and made into a cupboard after they left the house by my granduncle. It was the warmest room in the house as the fire was on in the room all day and people were always in it.

the house is your typical 3 room country cottage. Door opens into kitchen/living room, small room to the left for older kids and then the boys. Larger room (still tiny by todays standards) on the other side for the parents. Well with the sweetest water in Connacht out the back and an outside 'drop toilet'.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Why must you fill this thread with LIES!

Ahem.

Jack Swigert Did get a extension on his income taxes after forgetting to file before embarking on Apollo 13....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Here's a good one.
    Dem Irish wimmin are devils on the roads!

The first ever recorded car fatality is that of Irish woman Mary Ward:
    Wiki wrote:

Ward is known as being the first automobile fatality. William Parsons' sons had built a steam-powered car. It was thought at the time that steam transport would be developed greatly during the near future (this was true for trains, but did not in fact become true for cars due to the development of internal combustion engines). Steam cars were heavy and they did too much damage to the already uneven roads. In 1865 the Red Flag Act imposed a speed limit of four miles per hour for the countryside and two miles per hour in towns. This effectively ended the popularity of motorcars, but some enthusiasts still had one, often homemade, like the Parsons' vehicle
    On 31 August 1869, she and her husband, Henry, were travelling in it with the Parsons boys: the Hons. Richard Clare Parsons and the future steam turbine pioneer Charles Algernon Parsons, and their tutor, Richard Biggs. She was thrown from the car on a bend in the road at Parsonstown (present-day Birr, County Offaly).[5] She fell under its wheel and died almost instantly. A doctor who lived near the scene arrived within moments, and found her cut, bruised, and bleeding from the ears. The fatal injury was a broken neck.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ward_(scientist)#Death

The first person to die in a car crash in the UK was an Irish woman!
    wiki wrote:
    Although the car's maximum speed was 8 miles per hour (13 km/h) it had been limited deliberately to 4 miles per hour (6.4 km/h), the speed at which the driver, Arthur James Edsall of Upper Norwood, claimed to have been travelling. His passenger, Alice Standing of Forest Hill, alleged he modified the engine to allow the car to go faster, but another taxicab driver examined the car and said it was incapable of exceeding 4.5 miles per hour (7.2 km/h) because of a low-speed engine belt. The accident happened just a few weeks after a new Act of Parliament had increased the speed limit for cars to 14 miles per hour (23 km/h), from 2 miles per hour in towns and 4 miles per hour in the countryside.[2]

The jury returned a verdict of "accidental death" after an inquest lasting some six hours. The coroner, Percy Morrison, (Croydon division of Surrey) said he hoped "such a thing would never happen again."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Bridget_Driscoll

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Keeping it car related. Daniel Alesbury built the first car in Ireland in Edenderry Co. Offaly in his factory in 1904. It was shown at the 1907 RDS Motor Show in Dublin. Production only lasted a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Meleftone wrote: »
    Keeping it car related. Daniel Alesbury built the first car in Ireland in Edenderry Co. Offaly in his factory in 1904. It was shown at the 1907 RDS Motor Show in Dublin. Production only lasted a year.

Interesting piece about Irish-produced cars here https://www.allianz.ie/blog/your-car/made-in-ireland.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement