Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Going by how many drivers I encounter with their indicators going for miles after they made a turn they should make them louder.

Or maybe they should have some kind of visual warning sign....like a light on the dash or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, in the US, you pay state and federal taxes. State taxes vary, the better schools, street lighting , local police, fire service etc will tend to be in the areas with higher where higher taxes are paid. I think it is why some people opt to work in one state and live in another...possibly paying a lower tax and reaping the benefit of living just across the border in a more affluent state. I stand to be corrected on this...as I have never lived there.
    This is true, but not just state to state differences. Taxes are levied and vary from town to town, county to county, and suburb to suburb. Areas part fund their own schools and services such as police, so desirable areas with good schools have high tax. You can't really live in a low tax area and send the kids to school in another, unless they go to a private school where you pay fees. Property tax can be so high as to make this viable.
    As the previous poster said, this can lead to a downward spiral in 'poor' areas not able to afford good schools and services, property prices falling, property tax decreasing, and the poor area getting poorer. Happening in inner cities like Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

Greybottle wrote: »
    The current to the relay that switches the light on and off is increased, in fact it's doubled as it only has one bulb to "feed", so it "breaks" a lot faster, thus making it blink faster.

Nope, it's simply a change in the resistance of the circuit changing the on/off frequency.

When a bulb fails, the net resistance of the circuit rises. In the flasher unit there is a main capacitor which charges up/discharges (to trigger the on/off process), the rate of charging being affected by the size of the capacitor, and some "drainage" of charge to the lamp circuit.

With increased lamp circuit resistance, the capacitor is not drained so fast - so charges quicker, causing a quicker oscillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Liam28 wrote:
    As the previous poster said, this can lead to a downward spiral in 'poor' areas not able to afford good schools and services, property prices falling, property tax decreasing, and the poor area getting poorer. Happening in inner cities like Detroit.

There seem to vast swathes of the US where people are close to or below the poverty line with all the associated problems of health, education, employment, amenities, criminal behavior and so on.

This can be seen even within cities. Worked in Jacksonville for a couple months and there's streets and streets of trailer park type housing with gated communities in the middle of them.

The disparity between the haves and have not is very evident there. Areas like California and the North Eastern seaboard are distorting the view of it being a wealthy country.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Pronto63 wrote: »
    I think it was the Ford Pinto. Flaw in design/location of the fuel tank caused it to burst into flames when the car was rear-ended!

Another American car design had a fatal design flaw, where the glove compartment door would fall open in a collision to just neck height of a child in the passenger seat, and the sharp edge would decapitate or choke the child.

The Chevy Corsair was infamous for flipping over while turning, and a report called "Unsafe at any Speed" led to the US car industry having to introduce inconveniences like seat belts, safety testing, and new rules of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

b318isp wrote: »
    Nope, it's simply a change in the resistance of the circuit changing the on/off frequency.

When a bulb fails, the net resistance of the circuit rises. In the flasher unit there is a main capacitor which charges up/discharges (to trigger the on/off process), the rate of charging being affected by the size of the capacitor, and some "drainage" of charge to the lamp circuit.

With increased lamp circuit resistance, the capacitor is not drained so fast - so charges quicker, causing a quicker oscillation.

No, a RC oscillator will go slower when R is higher (less bulbs, that is). The old style blinker relay was thermally controlled, a heating element was heating up a bimetal strip type contact. And actually the frequency will not be too different with those ones, just the "on" time much shorter and the "off" time a bit longer because the bimetal strip will be heated slower at a lower temperature.

Normal:
    click...clack...click...clack
    Burned bulb:
    click.clack....click.clack....

More modern relays will have indeed a RC oscillator and a load sensing circuit that will change the frequency and on current cars they are mostly computer controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

Cordell wrote: »
    More modern relays will have indeed a RC oscillator and a load sensing circuit that will change the frequency

Didn't know that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

IKEA sell more than 2,000,000 meatballs every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Greybottle wrote: »
    IKEA sell more than 2,000,000 meatballs every single day.

Turkish meatballs!!! :eek:

http://time.com/5263690/swedish-meatballs-actually-turkish/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Ipso wrote: »
    According to Alan Partridge, you should never put out a fat fire with water. Take your face off!

If you know what you're doing, and have the correct firehose, you can put out an oil fire with water. As long as it's not too large. A large amount of water in a fine spray serves to cut off the oxygen supply. It's based purely on starving the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There seem to vast swathes of the US where people are close to or below the poverty line with all the associated problems of health, education, employment, amenities, criminal behavior and so on.

This can be seen even within cities. Worked in Jacksonville for a couple months and there's streets and streets of trailer park type housing with gated communities in the middle of them.

The disparity between the haves and have not is very evident there. Areas like California and the North Eastern seaboard are distorting the view of it being a wealthy country.

google/youtube the appalachians for utter poverty.. and the reservations ie first nations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Tax discs were abolished in the UK just over 3 years ago so this definitely wouldn't apply there.
    The plan was to save £10m a year on the paper and handling.

Tax evasion has gone from £35m a year to £107m a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The plan was to save £10m a year on the paper and handling.

Tax evasion has gone from £35m a year to £107m a year.

You'd wonder why so many stopped taxing.....surely checking the database for tax is as quick these days as checking the windscreen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

368100 wrote: »
    You'd wonder why so many stopped taxing.....surely checking the database for tax is as quick these days as checking the windscreen
    Imagine if you to display a TV licence sticker in your living room window.

Now imagine the shame of the neighbours seeing an out of date disk :eek:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Imagine if you to display a TV licence sticker in your living room window.

Now imagine the shame of the neighbours seeing an out of date disk :eek:

:pac:

Good point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mzungu wrote: »
    The plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac.
    Maybe in your opinion. But there are many point of views on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

We've hit bag bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Ipso wrote: »
    We've hit bag bottom.

I bet you didn't know that the saying is "rock bottom" not bag bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Meleftone wrote:
    I bet you didn't know that the saying is "rock bottom" not bag bottom.

And that cul-de-sac means bottom of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    And that cul-de-sac means bottom of the bag.

I stand corrected. Thanks. I didn't know that actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Meleftone wrote:
    I stand corrected. Thanks. I didn't know that actually.

This thread is for them random things you never think about.

That is the something new learned today, fekk the rest of the day.

:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ted must've had his coffee, this morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

"Cul de sac" is not used in France to signify a dead-end street - they use "impasse" or "voie sans issue".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I was never any good at French at school

ah well....such is life

;)

Sort of related since we're talking about French terms used in English, we call good manners and behaviour etiquette because it means ticket of admission/entry, and good manners and appropriate behaviour can open doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Speaking of French and bottoms, the two can go hand in hand.
    In fly tying there is a material called cul de canard which is very popular. It means ducks bottom, it is a feather that comes from the ducks preen gland and has natural oils that helps it float, this is very useful for dry flies as you want them to float.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

mr chips wrote: »
    "Cul de sac" is not used in France to signify a dead-end street - they use "impasse" or "voie sans issue".

Take a look at these:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102629111&postcount=730
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102636853&postcount=739
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102636936&postcount=740

I seem to remember seeing photos of Parisian road signs with cul de sac written on them, the link is in one of those ^^^.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I can confirm that it is used. Also impasse and voie sans issue.

If I had to analyze that, I'd say cul-de-sac is more spoken/colloquial, impasse is the one used on addresses and road signs, and voie sans issue sounds more like official rules of the road speak.

The most unused French word that I can think of that is used here, is brunette.
    We just say "brune". I don't think I ever used the word brunette back in France.

One whose meaning was distorted in the transition to English is "matinée".
    It means morning in French, but is used for afternoon shows here :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Other French words/phrases used in English but not by the French themselves include:
    double entendre
    encore
    cause celebre
    en-suite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement