Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New Home wrote: »
    No, that was for everyone - if they don't have soil or wood for VIPs, they definitely don't have it for common folk.

Ah they have changed that; read down on the wikipaedia page..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, that was for everyone - if they don't have soil or wood for VIPs, they definitely don't have it for common folk.

Correct New Home. It was for everybody. It is still for anybody who wishes and can afford to do so. There is no status or social position element to it. Modern cremation methods do leave it more expensive to conduct a Sky Burial but nobody restricts who may avail of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

473631.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

A can of coke sinks in water.

A can of diet coke floats.

Full cans. Not empty, I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A can of coke sinks in water.

A can of diet coke floats.

Full cans. Not empty, I mean.

Don't leave it at that. ;)

Sugar is denser than water and diet Coke has water in place of the sugar volume in regular Coke. Plus, due to the density of sugar the volumes are the same but the diet Coke tin is slightly lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Graces7 wrote: »

Am I the only one who finds that very disturbing?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

No, it's upsetting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Don't ever Google memento mori photos so.

Candie wrote: »
    No, it's upsetting alright.

Why? It was another burial custom, and the parents of this small child were utterly devastated by her early death from pneumonia.. NB she has been seen to open and close her eyes\

She is so lovely.

There are many youtubes on the Capucin crypt where she lies and where hundreds of other mummies also are..

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why? It was another burial custom, and the parents of this small child were utterly devastated by her early death from pneumonia.. NB she has been seen to open and close her eyes\

She is so lovely.

There are many youtubes on the Capucin crypt where she lies and where hundreds of other mummies also are..

It's just sad.

Others may feel different, but I can only be sad at the body of a lost baby, preserved and now a curiosity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's just sad.

Others may feel different, but I can only be sad at the body of a lost baby, preserved and now a curiosity.

I feel the same about bog bodies, Egyptian mummies, pre-Colombian mummies, etc. in museums - these were people, not sculptures or objects.

But for some reason, I personally don't see that child (or the mummies) as a curiosity, she'd look the same if she had been embalmed and put in a closed coffin out of sight. I think her parents wanted her in that clear casket as if to say to the world, "We loved her so dearly and we lost her, please spare a thought for her when you see her and see she was a little person, not just an anonymous name on a gravestone, and maybe in seeing her you'll love her a little too and mourn her passing, too". There's a sort of reverence in the way she's been kept that is completely lacking in "museum exhibits". But I'm probably just being oversentimental.

I feel the same about bog bodies, Egyptian mummies, pre-Colombian mummies, etc. in museums - these were people, not sculptures or objects.

But for some reason, I personally don't see that child (or the mummies) as a curiosity, she'd look the same if she had been embalmed and put in a closed coffin out of sight. I think her parents wanted her in that clear casket as if to say to the world, "We loved her so dearly and we lost her, please spare a thought for her when you see her and see she was a little person, not just an anonymous name on a gravestone, and maybe in seeing her you'll love her a little too and mourn her passing, too". There's a sort of reverence in the way she's been kept that is completely lacking in "museum exhibits". But I'm probably just being oversentimental.

I do understand your point of view, but to me it's too...public. She didn't make an adult decision to forgo privacy in death, it was made for her.

I'm sure she slices through the heart of anyone who's lost a child. :(

I do understand your point of view, but to me it's too...public. She didn't make an adult decision to forgo privacy in death, it was made for her.

I'm sure she slices through the heart of anyone who's lost a child. :(

That makes perfect sense, Candie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Don't ever Google memento mori photos so.

I won’t.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Ipso wrote: »
    Any relation to Lizzie?
    From my favourite thoroughbred pedigree analysis book, The Thoroughbreds' Handbook by Clive Harper.
    "To digress a little from the equine relatives and consider for a moment human relationships, it is perhaps of novel interest to note that Prince Charles in bred 4x4 to a full brother and a full sister, King Edward VII is the full brother and Alice of Hess his sister, both being children of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Edward comes through George V and George VI and the present Queen Elizabeth. Alice of Hess comes through an all female channel to Prince Phillip. I don't suppose it is of much consolation to Prince Charles to know that, had he been a horse, he should have been a top two year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Please keep posting. Add links if you think were up to it. :-)
    Sorry for the late reply, I was trying to think of an analogy and some facts that are easy to grasp to emphasise the point.

Think of a snakes and ladders game, where you roll two dice and move a certain number of steps, with the usual going up ladders and down snakes. Every time you move the piece, the square it was on lights up.

Then imagine somebody who can't see the board, the piece, or the dice. They just see lights flashing about the place.

They'd be able to come up with probability rules for where the light would appear next. Like it has a ~14% chance of appearing six units forward (which we would know is due to rolling a six). However they really have no idea what's actually going on and the only thing they can see, the light, is really only something the board does rather than being a fundamental thing like the board, the piece and the dice.

And although they can work out that in some situations the light has a chance to move down (landing on a snake) they have no clue why.

Their theory of a randomly jumping around light is like our theory of random particles (Quantum Mechanics). And just like their theory doesn't tell you anything, neither does QM. They'd also make the simplification of treating the light like a fundamental thing in its own right, rather than what it is, a side effect action of the board. This is what we are doing when we speak of particles.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Sylvester Stallone got the part of Rocky by accident.
    Well, Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

But he wrote it by accident.

On the acting theme, Gregory Peck was related to Thomas Ashe.

theres only one member of ZZ top who doesnt have a beard

His name is Mr.Beard (Frank Beard)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Winston Churchill's mum was born in Brooklyn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

theres only one member of ZZ top who doesnt have a beard

His name is Mr.Beard (Frank Beard)
    They are also the longest-running American rock band with no member changes. 1969 to present.

mzungu wrote: »
    They are also the longest-running American rock band with no member changes. 1969 to present.

Maybe. I'm sure some old guy and his college buddies are still in a band together.

Successful band maybe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Maybe. I'm sure some old guy and his college buddies are still in a band together.

Jimmy quit, Jody got married...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Anne Frank wasn't Dutch. She was German from birth until being declared stateless in 1942.

Born in Frankfurt, she moved to Amsterdam aged 6 to escape anti-Jewish sentiment.

She also wrote in her diary of Jews being gassed in Germany, so the story of the Holocaust was already known in 1942-43.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

RobertKK wrote: »
    While around 10% of Irish people have red hair (ginger) 46% of Irish people carry the red hair genes.
    If both parents carry red hair genes, their offspring have a 25% of having red hair.

Isnt this just maths? 1/4 of 46% is around 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Greybottle wrote: »
    Anne Frank wasn't Dutch. She was German from birth until being declared stateless in 1942.

Born in Frankfurt, she moved to Amsterdam aged 6 to escape anti-Jewish sentiment.

She also wrote in her diary of Jews being gassed in Germany, so the story of the Holocaust was already known in 1942-43.

and, as revealed yesterday, she included some dirty jokes on pages that she stuck together.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44133453

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ipso wrote: »
    But he wrote it by accident.

On the acting theme, Gregory Peck was related to Thomas Ashe.

I don't understand what you mean he wrote it by accident? Was he writing a western and by accident turned into a bum boxer being given a chance to fight a world champion in Philadelphia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

joeguevara wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean he wrote it by accident? Was he writing a western and by accident turned into a bum boxer being given a chance to fight a world champion in Philadelphia?

Wouldn't mind an accident like that!!

"Geez you'll never guess what happened to me?! I was doing my expenses and accidentally wrote a movie script!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

wexie wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind an accident like that!!

"Geez you'll never guess what happened to me?! I was doing my expenses and accidentally wrote a movie script!"

Oscar winning movie script!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement