Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

wexie wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind an accident like that!!

"Geez you'll never guess what happened to me?! I was doing my expenses and accidentally wrote a movie script!"
    Both fiction so maybe not too big a surprise?:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well, Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky!

In order to get the part for himself, he was paid a paltry sum for the role as the studio believed it would be a flop if Stallone was the lead, but that was his ultimatum, 'it's me or you don't make my movie'

He was almost living destitute at the time, having to sell his beloved dog as he couldn't feed him anymore, and guess what the first thing he bought (back) was when he finally made some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

In order to get the part for himself, he was paid a paltry sum for the role as the studio believed it would be a flop if Stallone was the lead, but that was his ultimatum, 'it's me or you don't make my movie'

He was almost living destitute at the time, having to sell his beloved dog as he couldn't feed him anymore, and guess what the first thing he bought (back) was when he finally made some money.

The old leather jacket he pawned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

and he had to buy the dog back for 15k. The dog starred in the first two movies...'Buttkiss'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’m pretty sure the Stallone story is nonsense. Although he says it himself it doesn’t ring true.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stallone-sold-his-dog/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

joeguevara wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean he wrote it by accident? Was he writing a western and by accident turned into a bum boxer being given a chance to fight a world champion in Philadelphia?

I should have wrote that in comic sans.
    Someone pointed out that he wrote the script so him getting the role by accident was unlikely.
    I remarked that he wrote the movie by accident, so by default he got the role by accident.
    To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens; I thought I was a wit, I was half right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia is the medical term for a cold-stimulus headache and is associated with consumption (particularly quick consumption) of cold beverages or foods such as ice cream and ice pops. It is caused by having something cold touch the roof of the mouth, and is believed to result from a nerve response causing rapid constriction and swelling of blood vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^^^^^

If you get brain freeze from eating something cold, hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth for a minute or two and that should relieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Kat1170 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

If you get brain freeze from eating something cold, hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth for a minute or two and that should relieve it.

While trying to roll your eyeballs into the back of your head while pressing on your temples. :pac:

I have only had it once, but it was memorable !

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Stan Laurel was in the same class in primary school as Bill Haley's mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Greybottle wrote: »
    Stan Laurel was in the same class in primary school as Bill Haley's mother.

Their teacher was particularly good at teaching kids how to tell the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It was one of the great Hollywood 'rumours' that Clint Eastwood was the son
    of Stan Laurel. They do have likeness and the time frame fits. But the story is completely unsubstantiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    of Stan Laurel. They do have likeness and the time frame fits. But the story is completely unsubstantiated.
    Has it been unsubollietiated?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭xlogo

In real life. one of the men responsible for training the Anthropoid assassins was Christopher Lee who worked for British intelligence during World War II.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Paul Pfeiffer from The Wonder Years (Josh Saviano) was also rumoured to have changed his image and grown up to be Marilyn Manson.

Mad how these rumours start!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

quickbeam wrote:
    Paul Pfeiffer from The Wonder Years (Josh Saviano) was also rumoured to have changed his image and grown up to be Marilyn Manson.

That was debunked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That was debunked though.

...when it was proven that Manson hatched fully grown from a pod recovered from the Roswell flying saucer:D

Jaysus that lad is, em, different, shall we say. Some great music though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

bnt wrote: »

Problem was ... the picture was of someone else, another Dutch guy named Bartholomeus Vermuyden. Oops ... :o

They all look the same...

Holland is a region in The Netherlands, not the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Shemale wrote: »

The Netherlands have a land border with France!!

Confused...?

Watch this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

Also the reason that there are lots of EU citizens in the Caribbean

• Advertisement

You reminded me of another one.

Remember the old Nokia message tone?

De de de, deeeee deeeee, de de de

That is morse code for SMS

Edited: misread the post, the music is Gran Vals

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQzUx3QW2Y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Shemale wrote:
    Nope, its piece of music, Gran Vals

Its both.

Also, Beethoven's 5'th starts as da da da daaa ..... or dot-dot-dot-dash in Morse code (the letter V, roman numeral for 5).

Coincidence? Aliens? Time travellers?
    You decide....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nope, its piece of music, Gran Vals

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQzUx3QW2Y

thats the ringtone, the sms tone is morse for sms.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and yet dutch football fans chant "hup holland hup".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sugarman wrote:
    Hitlers phone number in the Fuhrerbunker was 120050. Just finished a documentary there where Hitlers bodyguard recalled it in a flash when asked some 70 years later and well in his late 90s.

What was the documentary sugarman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

and yet dutch football fans chant "hup holland hup".

That's cause it rolls off the tongue a lot easier than 'hup Nederland hup'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Has it been unsubollietiated?

Clint Eastwood was born on 31 May 1930 at St. Francis Hospital in San Francisco, the son of Clinton Eastwood, Sr.(1906-1970) and Margaret Ruth Runner (1909-2006).

I don't have actual evidence in my possession right here on my desk. Like birth certs and DNA samples. But people have checked into this story down the years and never found evidence. They found the source of the rumor in a newspaper. Instead of me proving a negative I think you can rely on the fact that no evidence has ever been put forward to substantiate the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Stan Laurel had his phone number listed in the Santa Monica telephone directory. You could call him, he would answer and chat away to you.

He also made a point of answering every piece of fan mail that he received. After Oliver Hardy died he refused to appear in any film, even in a cameo role out of respect for him.

Sounded like a proper gent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

As they say, God made the Netherlands but the Dutch made Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Ipso wrote: »
    As they say, God made the Netherlands but the Dutch made Holland.

Did that phrase come about due to the numerous polders and reclaimed land from the sea in the Netherlands? Or did that explanation just get applied retroactively to an existing phrase?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement