Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The mouth of the tootpaste tube (ordinary Colgate) we have is about 7mm.

It's 125ml.

Account for 5% waste left in tube.

I calculate 3.25m -5% waste = 2.95m, so a bit longer than an average 3 seater couch. So the toddler is right.

(It's a bit early and I'm slightly bleary eyed, but that's what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:D

The toddler in his infant wisdom did it the best way, by experiential learning..:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Before he became president, Abraham Lincoln was wrestling champion of his county. He fought in nearly 300 matches and lost only one.

20121106_EP_LIGHT_honest-abe_C-homepage.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and also hunted vampires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"What is the use of A running down Scott because he served with Shackleton, or B going for Amundsen because he served with Scott? They have all done good work; within their limits, the best work to date. There are jobs for which, if I had to do them, I would like to serve under Scott, Amundsen, Shackleton and Wilson--each to his part. For a joint scientific and geographical piece of organization, give me Scott; for a Winter Journey, Wilson; for a dash to the Pole and nothing else, Amundsen: and if I am in the devil of a hole and want to get out of it, give me Shackleton every time. They will all go down in polar history as leaders, these men."

- Apsley Cherry-Garrard. Vol I, Page viii, Preface, Worst Journey in the World, first edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

The RTC should have gone there instead of Carlow.

But the KKkittys dont like non Kilkenny people..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There's a news report of somebody injured in the Hawaii volcano incident.

His injuries though are not massive burns, but a shattered leg.
    He was standing on a balcony watching the lava flow when a big glob of lava spatter hit him in the leg and shattered it.

Here's the thing...while lava is hot and liquid, it still is stone and dense and heavy as f*ck ...of course it would shatter bone if it was thrown at you.

I did know that...but it never really registered fully. Watching liquid lava you (I) think of pudding or something else benign and light and positively fluffy ...well, it aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Shemale wrote: »
    The RTC should have gone there instead of Carlow.

But the KKkittys dont like non Kilkenny people..
    It's not that we don't like ye. We're just better than ye.

peasant wrote: »

He was standing on a balcony watching the lava flow when a big glob of lava spatter hit him in the leg and shattered it.

Here's the thing...while lava is hot and liquid, it still is stone and dense and heavy as f*ck ...of course it would shatter bone if it was thrown at you.

I did know that...but it never really registered fully. Watching liquid lava you (I) think of pudding or something else benign and light and positively fluffy ...well, it aint.
    Another thing that is kinda surprising til you think about it is that a cubed metre of water weighs a ton. So when a wave is hitting you it's a lot. Obviously the up-and-down motion makes a difference :pac: But yeah, a wheelie bin full of water weighs a lot. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

On the subject of molten stuff, a while back there was a video of molten copper being poured on a big mac. It was supposed to show how horrible big macs were, but it’s a bit more interesting than that.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-mcdonalds-big-mac-copper-science-story,amp.html

Copper and gold melt at very close to the same temperature.

If you can melt one you can melt the other.

They were warning about projectiles as big as household appliances or the weight of fridges.

180509171801-02-hawaii-volcano-possible-explosions-projectiles-wxc-exlarge-169.jpg

In 1924 blocks were thrown up to 0.6 miles from the vent and pebble-sized rocks several miles away.

Kilauea has been erupting on a continuous basis since 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

mzungu wrote: »
    Before he became president, Abraham Lincoln was wrestling champion of his county. He fought in nearly 300 matches and lost only one.

Lincoln was a referee in cockfighting back in his day when it was a legal and massive sport.he was good at the refereeing and fair and that’s where he got the nickname honest Abe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats one fake looking photo.
    Its like his head superimposed on to a guy from the 1960s Olympics.

NIMAN wrote: »

Well I think it's a matter of historical record that he won the WWE championship belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^^
    Clear photoshop. He won the WWF Championship belt in the last year before it became WWE due to the start of the American Civil War. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If you smelllllllllllllll what the Abe is cooking...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

He had Stephanie McMahon too .........

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Pic is a fake, but he is in the wrestling Hall of Fame, along with 3 other former Presidents: George Washington, William Taft and Theodore Roosevelt.

This is what we call Greco Roman wrestling, the one you see in the Olympics. Excellent, highly skilled sport where skill can beat strength.

• Advertisement

Greybottle wrote: »
    Pic is a fake, but he is in the wrestling Hall of Fame, along with 3 other former Presidents: George Washington, William Taft and Theodore Roosevelt.

This is what we call Greco Roman wrestling, the one you see in the Olympics. Excellent, highly skilled sport where skill can beat strength.

63797446.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

NIMAN wrote: »
    Greybottle wrote: »

I know it's a fake (it's very obvious), I stuck the picture there for the laugh instead of going with the usual picture as below. 16_abraham_lincoln.jpg

However, in hindsight I probably should have put a pacman smiley in there just to seal the deal but I figured at the time there was no need because the picture was such a dodgy photoshop.

A banana is a berry, as are grapes, tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines. Fruits excluded from botanical definition of berries include strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

A banana is a berry, as are grapes, tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines. Fruits excluded from botanical definition of berries include strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

pfEnXNT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If memory serves me, they are called drupes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What about peppers?

Ipso wrote: »
    What about peppers?
    Aye, they also fit into the berry category.

sabiha-gokcen-adi-degisebilir.jpg

This is Sabiha Gokcen, the worlds first known female combat fighter pilot. She was Turkish and the adopted daughter of Kemal Ataturk.

Her reputation was so great that the USA nominated her as the only female pilot in its list of the 20 greatest aviators of all time. Istanbuls biggest domestic airport is named after her. The other one is named after her step father, Kemal Ataturk.

She died in 2001 but controversy arose in 2004 when an article claimed she was of Armenian descent, and not Bosnian as originally thought. There was uproar amongst many Turkish nationalists and it was supposedly one of the contributing reasons why newspaper editor Hrant Dink was murdered in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There is a Killarney in Zimbabwe and a Navan on the Moon.

(Navan is actually on Mars,not the Moon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Omackeral wrote: »

Pity Leitrim wasn’t on it as well.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement