Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Omackeral wrote: »
    Also a Lismore, a Tara, a Wicklow and a Louth (according to that list).

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Navan is a crater on Mars, not on the Moon. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Navan is a crater all-right, wherever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Greybottle wrote: »
    Navan is a crater on Mars, not on the Moon. ;)

Wherever it is, it's out of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

There's a region on one of Jupiter's moons Europa named after Connemara.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ineedaname wrote: »
    There's a region on one of Jupiter's moons Europa named after Connemara.

It's actually called Connemara Chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Up until the end of the 18th Century, St Stephens Green was the most popular place in Dublin for public executions, from 1780 to 1795 alone, 244 people were executed here. They usually came down from the prison near Thomas St, past St Patricks Cathedral and down Kevin St.

It was a huge attraction at the time, well before the time of organised sports.

Here's an extract from a 1773 burning:

On October 24 1773, a Mrs Herring was “burnt alive” in the Green after she was convicted of murdering her husband.

The method of execution of was as as follows:

She was placed on a stool something more than two feet high, and, a chain being placed under her arms, the rope round her neck was made fast to two spikes, which, being driven through a post against which she stood, when her devotions were ended, the stool was taken from under her, and she was soon strangled. When she had hung about fifteen minutes, the rope was burnt, and she sunk till the chain supported her, forcing her hands up to a level with her face, and the flame being furious, she was soon consumed. The crowd was so immensely great that it was a long time before the ******s could be placed for the execution [1] Sylvanus Urban, The gentleman’s magazine, and historical chronicle, Volume 43 (London, 1773), 461

Infamous brothel keeper and serial killer Darkey Kelly was said to have been publicly burnt in the green in 1761. (Others suggest her execution actually occurred on Baggot Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

and a Navan on the Moon.

(Navan is actually on Mars,not the Moon)

Navan.

A pock marked, god forsaken, desolate, lifeless, barren wasteland.

I'd say the one on Mars is quite nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yuba city in California is known as the "Prune Capital of the World" ....

It was also designated as the 'Worst City' in America in 1985.

Who knew ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

There are no active volcanoes in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

There are no active volcanoes in Australia.
    Safest place on earth then...oh wait!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In Switzerland, it's illegal to own only one guinea pig. The reason is that they are sociable rodents and isolation is extremely bad for them. Hence this animal welfare law aims to stop that from happening.

Two_adult_Guinea_Pigs_%28Cavia_porcellus%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Pity Leitrim wasn’t on it as well.

Banned :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Greybottle wrote: »
    Up until the end of the 18th Century, St Stephens Green was the most popular place in Dublin for public executions, from 1780 to 1795 alone, 244 people were executed here. They usually came down from the prison near Thomas St, past St Patricks Cathedral and down Kevin St.

It was a huge attraction at the time, well before the time of organised sports.

Here's an extract from a 1773 burning:

I'm guessing that faggöt was the word that got swear-filtered. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Can you explain further? because Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky....

He was meant to write a film called Rucky but he didnt spell it right....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

Absolutely fantastic telling of the Chernobyl accident I stumbled across this evening:

https://m.imgur.com/a/TwY6q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Up to the early 1980s the northern Indian town of Gehlaur was cut off from the nearest major settlement by a mountain. In order to collect supplies or get professional medical aid the villagers had to make a highly treacherous 55 kilometer trek around this ridge on foot.

In 1960 Falguni Devi, while taking this path, fell and injured herself. Dasrath Manjhi, her husband, said enough was enough and decided that a safer path through this mountain ridge was needed.

Using only a hammer and chisel, purchased by selling three goats, Dasrath began to chip away at the rock formation.

Alone, after initially being mocked as a fool, he managed to excavate almost 8000 cubic meters of rock by himself using only handheld tools. That's 270,000 cubic feet.

In 1982, 22 years later, he completed what is known as the Dashrath Manjhi Breakthrough. A path 110 meters long, 9 meters wide and 8 meters deep cut through the rock solid ridge.

Alone and using only hammers and chisels.

Instead of the original 55 kilometer dangerous journey, the inhabitants of Gehlaur now had a much safer 15 kilometer journey.

mountain-india-man-hammer-and-chisel-through.png?x48769

Here is a satellite image of his work

Google Streetview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Up to the early 1980s the northern Indian town of Gehlaur was cut off from the nearest major settlement by a mountain. In order to collect supplies or get professional medical aid the villagers had to make a highly treacherous 55 kilometer trek around this ridge on foot.

In 1960 Falguni Devi, while taking this path, fell and injured herself. Dasrath Manjhi, her husband, said enough was enough and decided that a safer path through this mountain ridge was needed.

Using only a hammer and chisel, purchased by selling three goats, Dasrath began to chip away at the rock formation.

Alone, after initially being mocked as a fool, he managed to excavate almost 8000 cubic meters of rock by himself using only handheld tools. That's 270,000 cubic feet.

In 1982, 22 years later, he completed what is known as the Dashrath Manjhi Breakthrough. A path 110 meters long, 9 meters wide and 8 meters deep cut through the rock solid ridge.

Alone and using only hammers and chisels.

Instead of the original 55 kilometer dangerous journey, the inhabitants of Gehlaur now had a much safer 15 kilometer journey.

Google Streetview

I just have the one observation. The road, isn't that far down from the peak of the ridges there on both sides. Why couldn't they just walk over the top? Build a few steps up each side if it was slippy. There must have been a simpler way

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I just have the one observation. The road, isn't that far down from the peak of the ridges there on both sides. Why couldn't they just walk over the top? Build a few steps up each side if it was slippy. There must have been a simpler way

I think I read before that the issue had been an ambulance had to travel the longer distance and his wife died due to the delay. Hence carving the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    If memory serves me, they are called drupes.

You beat me to it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In 2014, Tinder made its first match on the continent of Antarctica. This should come as no surprise, both parties involved were research scientists!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And they needed Tinder to meet up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Google Streetview

Google maps tells me I can walk from here to there in 78 days and 15 hours.
    I didn't know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I didn't know that!

OK so when do you start;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I didn't know that!
    Back in 1789 Buck Whaley walked most of the way from Jerusalem back to Dublin, for a bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Alan Bean, the 4th man to walk on the moon, died yesterday in Texas aged 86.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=52625

A double rainbow occurs when sunlight is reflected twice inside a raindrop. If you look closely, you can see that the colors of the secondary rainbow appear in reverse order.

double%2Brainbow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rainbows are actually full circles except the ground gets in the way

Apparently you can see full circle rainbows sometimes from planes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Alan Bean, the 4th man to walk on the moon, died yesterday in Texas aged 86.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=52625
    Ah no. :( A very cool guy on so many levels. For my money the Apollo 12 guys were the best of the teams. They were actually good friends, before and after. They also had a major close call when the Saturn V rocket was hit by lightning just after lift off. Twice. This blew a few circuit breakers and had the instruments go crazy. The control panel lit up like a Christmas tree. Facing a possible "major failure of the vehicle"(IE kaboom!) mission control looked for a solution. One young engineer had seen similar in a simulation and the fix was "Set SCE to AUX", which means set Signal Conditioning Equipment (translated the various voltages to the different instruments) which had its main bus power supply compromised by the strikes to an auxiliary and clean unaffected power supply. Of the three men in that command module only Alan remembered what that was and flicked the switch. This saved the mission and they rode the rocket all the way to orbit and then the Moon.

Here's the entire launch to orbit audio with the "what the hell was that". When they get it figured out they start giggling and joke about how they need more all weather testing. Dunno how they fitted their man parts into those suits.

As an aside: The launch director at the cape for Apollo 12 was one Mr Walt "Kappy" Kapyran on his first time in that chair. He was involved in setting up procedures in case of future lightning strikes and became known affectionately as Captain Lightning. In my collection of mad stuff I actually have a copy of his personal verification tests manual for Apollo 15.

451838.jpg
    Some might be shocked how little I paid for that. Like a round of drinks for six people number. Mad.

Here's the actual audio and video of the approach and landing on the Moon.

They sound like two guys loving every second of it. Though oddly Alan keeps referring to his commander and mate Pete Conrad as "babe". :D Pete loses the cool with excitement when they see the computers have them perfectly on track.

While setting up the video camera on the Moon, something went wrong with it(Alan gave a clatter of a hammer as a last ditch attempt to fix it, as one did with telly stuff back in the day. Vertical hold and all that). So no video from the Apollo 12 mission. Alan felt really bad about that and after he left NASA he got into painting as his job, trying to give an impression of what he saw in his time on the Moon for the rest of us. He sometimes added bits of moon dust from his gloves and boots that he was allowed keep.

Alan-Bean-artist.jpg

RIP Alan Bean. Pilot, engineer, astronaut, artist and good egg.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wibbs, the more of your posts i read between here, the watch forum etc (and i imagine thats quite a few over my years on boards) the more you become one of the 5 people (alive or dead) l would have at a dinner party table! Great info above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement