Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Kat1170 wrote: »
    *Of course the best thing is not to introduce them in the first place.

Yeah, this was what I meant alright.

Also, the moose were brought in explicitly to be shot. It's not like they snuck in accidentally on a boat (as happens with smaller animals) and had to be eradicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

McDonald's are the world's largest distributor of toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lego manufacture more tyres per year than Dunlop, Goodyear et al combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Actually that is the best outcome of that situation*, introducing foreign Flora and Fauna to an area rarely works out well. :mad::mad: It is a worldwide problem and one that is here in Ireland as well.

Zebra Mussels.

Signal Crayfish.
    Grey Squirrel.

The list goes on and on ………..

*Of course the best thing is not to introduce them in the first place.

Invasive species can be a massive problem, another non native species to New Zealand are Trout.
    I’m conflicted in this one, as someone who fly fishes New Zealand is on the bucket list of fishing destinatios (as are other places where the fish are invasive such as Patagonia).

Rabbits wreaked havoc in Australia after they were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Interesting story on the eradication of invasive goats introduced to Pacific Island in the 1600s. When ground hunting failed, they resorted to sharpshooters from helicopters and what they termed "Judas Goats".

http://allthatsinteresting.com/project-isabela

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cdeb wrote: »
    Yeah, this was what I meant alright.

Also, the moose were brought in explicitly to be shot. It's not like they snuck in accidentally on a boat (as happens with smaller animals) and had to be eradicated

I can't be the only one who got a good giggle from the idea of a stowaway moose:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I can't be the only one who got a good giggle from the idea of a stowaway moose:D

nope :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

VW 1 wrote: »
    Interesting story on the eradication of invasive goats introduced to Pacific Island in the 1600s. When ground hunting failed, they resorted to sharpshooters from helicopters and what they termed "Judas Goats".

http://allthatsinteresting.com/project-isabela

I'm even more surprised that they had helicopters in the 1600s! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Big Nasty wrote: »

I bet you didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I blame that Da Vinci kid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

80a9c67d255dca16af41507c693852f3--baby-platypus-perry-the-platypus.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Big Nasty wrote: »

Leonardo_da_Vinci_helicopter.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

New Home wrote: »
    80a9c67d255dca16af41507c693852f3--baby-platypus-perry-the-platypus.jpg
    They're also one of the few venomous mammals around today. The males anyway. They produce a venom in glands in their hind legs that is injected through spurs on same, that while not fatal to humans causes truly excruciating pain, sometimes lasting for months, a pain that morphine doesn't dull. Though if my memory serves I think I posted this before... :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wibbs wrote: »
    They're also one of the few venomous mammals around today. The males anyway. They produce a venom in glands in their hind legs that is injected through spurs on same, that while not fatal to humans causes truly excruciating pain, sometimes lasting for months, a pain that morphine doesn't dull. Though if my memory serves I think I posted this before... :o

I thought they were the only venomous mammals?

(and the memory aint 21 anymore either :p)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mongolia is the worlds most sparsely populated country at 1.92 people per square kilometre. Although a rapidly increasing population may change this is the no so distant future. Ulaanbaatar is also the coldest capital city in the world (-1.3 degrees Celsius) thanks to the Siberian winds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wexie wrote: »

IIRC there are small insect eating shrews and a couple of bats with venomous saliva. The platypus has the most obvious and clear cut venom mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yep, I did know that! :pac:
    wexie wrote: »

IIRC there are small insect eating shrews and a couple of bats with venomous saliva. The platypus has the most obvious and clear cut venom mind you.

You forgot about mothers-in-law! *badum tsss!* :pac: :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

funny-tumblr-6-30-4.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The slow loris is venomous too

(Insert Liverpool goalkeeper joke here...)

babes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

As they're Primates, I guess they're the closest venomous relative to us??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

quickbeam wrote: »
    As they're Primates, I guess they're the closest venomous relative to us??

You've obviously not met my wife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

dinorebel wrote: »

Looks like we're married to sisters. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mzungu wrote: »
    Mongolia is the worlds most sparsely populated country at 1.92 people per square kilometre. Although a rapidly increasing population may change this is the no so distant future. Ulaanbaatar is also the coldest capital city in the world (-1.3 degrees Celsius) thanks to the Siberian winds.

They were also wuite good at doing the sparcing, back in the day.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_under_the_Mongol_Empire

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

cdeb wrote: »
    The slow loris is venomous too

(Insert Liverpool goalkeeper joke here...)

babes.jpg

Lloris is the Spurs keeper, Karius is the Liverpool keeper
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Quazzie wrote: »
    Lloris is the Spurs keeper, Karius is the Liverpool keeper
    ;)

Loris Karius is his name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

dinorebel wrote: »

Soon to be ex wife if she reads that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Harambe wrote: »
    Loris Karius is his name ;)

Well that's something I genuinely didn't know. Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A 250th Anniversary is called a Semiquincentennial.

Its also a very satisfying word to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

retalivity wrote: »
    A 250th Anniversary is called a Semiquincentennial.

Its also a very satisfying word to say.

I can't say it :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement