Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Liamalone wrote: »
    The last bellybutton survey saw a dead heat, 50% inny, 50% outty.

Are outies more common in certain ethnicities? Or are they/innies completely random?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Pepsi once owned one of largest submarine fleets in the world.

pepsi-cola-soviet.png

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

368100 wrote: »
    Are outies more common in certain ethnicities? Or are they/innies completely random?

I think it depends on how the umbilical cords are tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

368100 wrote: »

On a personal level I'd have to question this 50 / 50 innie / outie split. In a long and distinguished (but alas, now historical:mad:) womanising career, I have had the immense pleasure of having never come across (ooh er matron:D) an outie.
    I'm a little bit funny about belly buttons and just couldn't bring myself to be anywhere near one. Either I've struck it extraordinarily lucky or outies just aren't that common round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

On a personal level I'd have to question this 50 / 50 innie / outie split. In a long and distinguished (but alas, now historical:mad:) womanising career, I have had the immense pleasure of having never come across (ooh er matron:D) an outie.
    I'm a little bit funny about belly buttons and just couldn't bring myself to be anywhere near one. Either I've struck it extraordinarily lucky or outies just aren't that common round these parts.

Would have thought one would need to be quite slim or else pregnant to have a sticky outty. I've not suggesting that your womanising career consisted only of ladies of the larger size, however if the cap fits....

• Advertisement

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Would have thought one would need to be quite slim or else pregnant to have a sticky outty. I've not suggesting that your womanising career consisted only of ladies of the larger size, however if the cap fits....

:eek:

How dare you. I think you'll find they were super models one and all!

(May or may not be true..... mostly not:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

JRant wrote: »
    Fascinating period off time. My favorite from that epoch has to the the Permian-Triassac extinction event or 'The Great Dying'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian–Triassic_extinction_event

I've recently found the PBS . Eons series. I'm finding it really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQa0okkpf0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Innie or Outtie comes down solely to the doctor who was present at birth. Some tie the cord as an innie, some as an outtie.

The real question would be is there any correlation between innie being right hand (more common) and outtie being left hand (less common)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Quazzie wrote: »
    Innie or Outtie comes down solely to the doctor who was present at birth. Some tie the cord as an innie, some as an outtie.

The real question would be is there any correlation between innie being right hand (more common) and outtie being left hand (less common)?

Or an outie just being a doctor who was having a laugh.

Or it could be the much more plausible scenario of outies being hideous freaks of nature, best avoided?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Quazzie wrote: »

I think that's an old wives tale. A little research online also seems to indicate that over 90% of people have innies. If you're of normal weight (note not the so called ideal weight) or above I think it's practically impossible to have an outie.

https://www.urbo.com/content/heres-the-real-reason-your-belly-button-is-an-innie-or-an-outie/

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-my-belly-button-normal#1

https://www.providr.com/real-reason-innie-outie-belly-button/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Pepsi once owned one of largest submarine fleets in the world.

pepsi-cola-soviet.png

Had to go an Google this cause :eek:

Interesting article here : http://www.redkalinka.com/Russian-Blog/78/_The-day-Pepsi-became-a-great-military-power/
    In 1989, the initial agreement between Pepsi and the USSR was about to expire and the negotiations to sign a new one began. At that time, Pepsi already had more than 20 factories in the USSR that bottled the drink for distribution. The new trade agreement had a cost of about three billion dollars, and it was obvious that only the exclusivity of Stolichnaya vodka wasn’t enough to pay for it. The USSR still had difficulties in international markets to exchange rubles, so they had to find an alternative method of payment.
    Again the Soviet Union found a solution: if in the 1970s they had plenty of vodka, now in the 1980s they had plenty of military equipment inherited from the Cold War. The USSR offered to pay Pepsi with a fleet of diesel ships. Pepsi accepted the deal because they knew that it was the only way to continue to sell Pepsi in the USSR. The agreement included 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate and a destroyer, which were sold to a Swedish company for scrap recycling. Those 17 submarines made Pepsi become, for a few days, the 6th largest military power in the world by number of diesel submarines.
    The president of Pepsi, Donald Kendall, told the National Security Adviser of USA: "We are disarming the USSR faster than you".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Bones found off the Antarctic peninsula at Seymour Island indicate that 37 to 40 million years ago, penguins stood at 6 feet and would have weighed about 250 pounds.

dn25990-3_800.jpg

Traveling from one end of Canada to the other end (Nova Scotia to British Columbia, and only the mainland) is nearly twice the distance from Dublin to Novia Scotia

(also, the premier of Nova Scotia is called the Bossanova :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Today is the 20th anniversary of the death of James Byrd, jr in Texas. It was a notorious case at the time as Mr Byrd was killed by being dragged behind a pickup for 3 miles and was alive for at least half the journey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_James_Byrd_Jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mzungu wrote: »
    Bones found off the Antarctic peninsula at Seymour Island indicate that 37 to 40 million years ago, penguins stood at 6 feet and would have weighed about 250 pounds.

dn25990-3_800.jpg

They would be hard to ppppick up.

Don't know if this already has been covered but I find it really interesting.

Because our planet is round...and maps are not....a lot of the maps take some artistic license with the scale of countries to get everything to fit and look right (I'm sure there's a more technical explanation)

On the site TheTrueSize you can move countries around and see the true size of them. If you highlight a country and drag it, you'll actually see it change size (on the map) depending on where you place it.

Watch what happens if you highlight Canada and place it on South America!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Today is the 30th anniversary of the death of James Byrd, jr in Texas. It was a notorious case at the time as Mr Byrd was killed by being dragged behind a pickup for 3 miles and was alive for at least half the journey.

The 20th anniversary (1998), which is somehow worse.

Hadn't heard of that at all; sounds horrendous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

wexie wrote: »
    Don't know if this already has been covered but I find it really interesting.

Because our planet is round...and maps are not....a lot of the maps take some artistic license with the scale of countries to get everything to fit and look right (I'm sure there's a more technical explanation)

On the site TheTrueSize you can move countries around and see the true size of them. If you highlight a country and drag it, you'll actually see it change size (on the map) depending on where you place it.

Watch what happens if you highlight Canada and place it on South America!!!

And Greenland isn't that big after all, about the same size as Algeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

wexie wrote: »
    Not really, that's pretty much it. Displaying the Earth on a map is basically attempting to squash a sphere flat and you can't do that without distorting parts of the sphere's surface.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Today is the 30th anniversary of the death of James Byrd, jr in Texas. It was a notorious case at the time as Mr Byrd was killed by being dragged behind a pickup for 3 miles and was alive for at least half the journey.

Hey that findagrave.com site is pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

mzungu wrote: »

dn25990-3_800.jpg

Probably just nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nowaynever wrote:
    Probably just nuns.

You'd do well to find a 6ft nun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

You'd do well to find a 6ft nun.

Extinct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

2 stars in the cygnus system are set to collide around 2022 (give or take a year). They'll create a new start a and give off a red glow as bright as the north star... and all visible in the night sky.

And some shmo will definitely say tis a sign that our world will end.

Oops, classic error on my part.

Those 2 stars have collided by now (well... about 1800 years ago I think)... it's the light from the event which will reach our eyes in 2022ish.

So the universe has probably started to come to an end... at that side of the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So the world has ended. We are all post tribulationists now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    If you'd been paying attention to the above posts you'd have seen the posts about the Permian–Triassic extinction event.

We are all post trilobites...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    If you'd been paying attention you'd have seen the posts about the Permian - Triassic extinctions.

We are all post trilobites...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement