Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I call this enemy: The Sun.

The main culprit is actually gravity...

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You'd do well to find a 6ft nun.

First nun I ever met was well over 6 ft. She opened the door which was at the top of a flight of steps.. Anglican in the UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Tough folks the Japs.

Had a code of honour for a warrior/soldier who was about to be captured. They were supposed to fall on their sword or put the last round into their head.

This is why Allied soldiers were treated so badly in their POW Camps.

Cowards in their culture.

It takes some balls to fly your plane into an enemy target

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwFa6qKXW1Y

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Millions of Americans found out about John Lennons death when it was announced during a Miami Dolphins football match by commentator Howard Cossell.

Cossell had interviewed Lennon during a Monday Night game 6 years earlier.

Or it could be the much more plausible scenario of outies being hideous freaks of nature, best avoided?

How very dare you! I'm reasonably normal and I've a bit of an outie. :(

I'm told by those in the know that the thicker the layer of fat, the more of an innie it looks, so thin people are more likely to have outies and the better padded have innies.

• Advertisement

A 2015 study of 500 patients found that smokers need an average of 38% more anesthetic to achieve the same depth as non smokers, and passive smokers need about 18% more. This is because of the effect of smoking on drug metabolism.

It's long been known that smokers needed more anaesthetic and painkilling drugs for the same effect, but not the extent of the effect of passive smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Graces7 wrote: »
    First nun I ever met was well over 6 ft. She opened the door which was at the top of a flight of steps.. Anglican in the UK..

I misread this as "First nun I was ever with was well over 6 ft."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Luciano Pavarotti was an accomplished cross country runner in his youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I feel like this is a line from a Britpop song for some reason...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good footballer too I believe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

William Playfair developed the first pie chart in 1801, but Florence Nightingale popularised it in her 1858 report, "Notes on Matters Affecting the Health, Efficiency and Hospital Administration of the British Army." In fact she was quite big into statistical analysis in general. Her reports back to HQ helped better the conditions for soldiers of the British Empire.

On the graph below, each slice represents a given month’s casualties. The colors red, blue, and black designating death via "wounds," "preventable disease," and "other causes," respectively.FlorenceData900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Adyx wrote: »
    Tonic water glows under a UV light.

Quinine is the Greek work for ejaculate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Brian Blessed is an extraordinary man. He is a actor known for his booming voice but not everyone is aware that:

He has:

• Boxed with the Dalai Lama

• Climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua and Everest (three times)

• He holds a 3rd dan in Judo.

• He is the oldest man to go to the North Magnetic Pole on foot,

• Walked to the North Pole where he "punched a polar bear right in its ****ing face" (This saved the bears life - it was entering Blesseds tent and about to be shot by the expeditions other members).

• Undertaken an expedition into the jungles of Venezuela, during which he survived a plane crash.

• Has completed 800 hours of space training at Star City in Russia.

• Aged 57 he grabbed an armed border guard by the groin and held him above his head in protest of being called an "old man".

• He played a major role in the musical production of "Cats".

• He has also performed in major productions of Hamlet, Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing.

• Blessed has written 5 books, starred in over 40 films, and over 70 TV shows.

• He has commentated over the world cup and sang on a heavy metal album.

• He has had roles in Star Wars, Doctor Who and Blackadder.

• Has received two honorary degrees.

• On 19 January 2015, Blessed collapsed on stage during a performance of King Lear with the Guildford Shakespeare Company, in which his daughter Rosalind was also acting. He received medical attention from a doctor in the audience and returned to the stage to complete the play 20 minutes later.

• Blessed was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2016 Birthday Honours for services to the arts and charity

newbrianblessed_3201230b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Legend!

BRING ME MY WINE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

py2006 wrote: »
    Brian Blessed is an extraordinary man. He is a actor known for his booming voice but not everyone is aware that:

Just one omission...he's a bit bonkers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Shemale wrote: »
    Quinine is the Greek work for ejaculate

It actually came from the Quechua language and into English through Spanish and French. It means 'cinchona bark', from which it is extracted.

The Greek word for 'ejaculate is 'εκσπερματίζω' (ekspermatizo).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

storker wrote: »
    Just one omission...he's a bit bonkers. :)
    The best kinda bonkers. If that's bonkers who'd want sanity? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can't let the Blessed Everest climb stand - from Wikipedia:

"He has attempted to climb Mount Everest three times without supplemental oxygen,[22] reaching heights of 28,200 feet (8,600 m) in 1993 and 25,200 feet (7,700 m) in 1996, but without reaching the summit.[23]"

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Watch him in I Claudius.

No beard and a relatively subdued performance.

It's like Director John Ford said ofJohn Wayne after seeing Red River "I never knew the big lug could act."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

George Orwell made a list of people he suspected to be communists in order to tag them as being unsuitable for anti-communist counter-propaganda activities in the Information Research Department (IRD)!

In 1949 he compiled a list of artists, academics and politicians he suspected to the communists and sent it to his friend, Celia Paget, who worked for the UK’s Information Research Department. In the post-war years, the branch was tasked with distributing anti-communist propaganda throughout Europe. The most famous name on Orwell's list was the actor Charlie Chaplin. Another actor, Michael Redgrave, also made it in there. Interestingly, the Daily Express journalist Peter Smollett made the list. Smollett was later identified as a Soviet agent (recruited by Kim Philby) and during WW2 headed the Russian section in Britain's wartime information ministry and had stopped publication of Orwell's Soviet allegory, Animal Farm.

There were other names written down but not turned over to the IRD. Those included Katharine Hepburn, John Steinbeck, George Bernard Shaw, Orson Welles, and Cecil Day-Lewis (the father of Daniel Day-Lewis).

Just to note, he was not blacklisting the people that he did include as being subversives (a charge levelled at Orwell), but he was deeming them to be unsuitable for counter-intelligence.

• Advertisement

Buzkashi is the national sport of Afghanistan. It's played on horseback and is a very fast moving game where one player attempts to get the headless carcass of a dead goat into the oppositions goal. Huge crowds show up for games.

So sort of like Polo without the sticks or helmets, but with more blood and serious injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Candie wrote: »
    So sort of like Polo without the sticks or helmets, but with more blood and serious injury.

and a dead goat.....

Probably a great way to tenderize it a bit before the aftermatch BBQ :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Was literally only watching it yesterday; it features in David Attenborough's The First Eden.

Small world!

Looks almost as lethal as hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Dandelions are edible. Leaves, flowers and roots. I recently had them in a salad and used the leaves as a lettuce substitute for bbq turkey burgers. As with all wildly gathered foods, they should be thoroughly washed before consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

cdeb wrote: »
    Was literally only watching it yesterday; it features in David Attenborough's The First Eden.

Small world!

Looks almost as lethal as hurling

The vegans will love it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Not sure if mentioned before, but If you multiply nine by any whole number (except zero), and repeatedly add the digits of the answer until it's just one digit, that digit will always be nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wibbs wrote: »
    The best kinda bonkers. If that's bonkers who'd want sanity? :D
    I agree, the guy just seems to love every second of the day, wonderful man.

In the Olympics from 1912 to 1948, Art was a discipline. Various painters, sculptors, architects, writers, and musicians battled it out for gold.

This painting titled Rugby(right) won gold in 1928. Incidentally, the painting on the left is called Corner.
    Olympics-Art-Study-of-sport-520.jpg__600x0_q85_upscale.jpg

This sculpture below from Walter Winan's called The American Trotter won gold in 1912. He also won silver that year for team USA in the shooting event.
    Olympics-Art-An-American-Trotter-520.jpg__600x0_q85_upscale.jpg

Including Art as a discipline raised a few eyebrows. The thinking behind it came from Baron Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the IOC, from which the modern Olympics emerged in 1896. He believed that there was a strong link between sports and the arts and his idea of the true Olympian was somebody skilled in both. The idea faced resistance, unsurprisingly the main opposition to it was that sporting achievements can be measured in easily to understand metrics such as time and distance, but judging the arts is subjective. Furthermore, under the rules, all pieces of art had to be centered around sport and this led to a constant stream of similar works (images of athletes, reference to sporting achievement etc).

The plug was pulled in 1948 due to a lack of interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yep. We won two medals in 1924 - WB Yeats' brother, Jack Butler, won silver in art and Oliver St John Gogarty won bronze in literature. Yeats was Ireland's first ever Olympic medallist

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

mzungu wrote: »
    Including Art as a discipline raised a few eyebrows. The thinking behind it came from Baron Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the IOC, from which the modern Olympics emerged in 1896. He believed that there was a strong link between sports and the arts and his idea of the true Olympian was somebody skilled in both. The idea faced resistance, unsurprisingly the main opposition to it was that sporting achievements can be measured in easily to understand metrics such as time and distance, but judging the arts is subjective. Furthermore, under the rules, all pieces of art had to be centered around sport and this led to a constant stream of similar works (images of athletes, reference to sporting achievement etc).

The plug was pulled in 1948 due to a lack of interest.

Aren't some sports still somewhat less metrics based though? Things like gymnastics, ice skating, diving??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement