Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

py2006 wrote: »
    Brian Blessed is an extraordinary man. He is a actor known for his booming voice but not everyone is aware that:

If anyone's into podcasts, Richard Herring's Leister Square Theatre podcast featured Brian Blessed a couple of months ago.

He talked about some of the stuff in the list. He's mad but very very funny too.

It's well worth a listen, I actually 'lol'ed', as the kids say, a number of times during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

py2006 wrote: »
    Brian Blessed is an extraordinary man. He is a actor known for his booming voice but not everyone is aware that:

He has:

No mention of his career defining role, a power house, scene stealing performance, unmatched in the history of stage or screen?:confused:

He'll always be grampy rabbit to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

It actually came from the Quechua language and into English through Spanish and French. It means 'cinchona bark', from which it is extracted.

The Greek word for 'ejaculate is 'εκσπερματίζω' (ekspermatizo).

It was a uv light based joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Looking at a map of time zones, France and Spain would logically be in the same timezone as Ireland and Britain. This was indeed the case until WW2 - France used GMT until the German authorities in Occupied France changed it to be in line with Germany. For some reason, they never changed back. As for Spain, Franco changed it in solidarity with the Germans, as he was of that persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Candie wrote: »
    A 2015 study of 500 patients found that smokers need an average of 38% more anesthetic to achieve the same depth as non smokers, and passive smokers need about 18% more. This is because of the effect of smoking on drug metabolism.

It's long been known that smokers needed more anaesthetic and painkilling drugs for the same effect, but not the extent of the effect of passive smoking.

Gingers need about 20% more anaesthetic than normal people too and also seem to need more local anaesthetic in the dentist or pain killers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Gingers need about 20% more anaesthetic than normal people too and also seem to need more local anaesthetic in the dentist or pain killers

As I found out when having a root canal ten years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

As I found out when having a root canal ten years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What do ginger smokers need, a mallet over the head? :eek:

cbf1f899c49f64a1414070d104a8f8c0.gif

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, 58% more mallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

54% of males have admitted to masturbating in the toilets at work (the remaining 46% are liars)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    It's a common misconception though,n probably due to the memorable quotes, that Woolf didn't appreciate Ulysses. Despite her misgivings about its often vulgar and, to her mind, unnecessarily crude and detailed depiction of things like bodily functions, she had huge admiration for its literary qualities and how it revolutionised the representation of individual consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

B00056718 wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned before, but If you multiply nine by any whole number (except zero), and repeatedly add the digits of the answer until it's just one digit, that digit will always be nine.

If you ever want to know if a number is divisible by 3, add all the numbers together. If the total of that is divisible by 3, your original number is as well

Eg:

6,538,654 = 6+5+3+8+6+5+4= 37, 37 is not divisible by 3, so 6,538,654 is also not divisible by 3.

6,538,653 = 6+5+3+8+6+5+3=36, 36 is divisible by 3, and so is 6,538,564, its 2,179,551

Probably the only thing I remember from maths class

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

how it revolutionised the representation of individual consciousness.
    What was Joyce's main insight here, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If you ever want to know if a number is divisible by 3, add all the numbers together. If the total of that is divisible by 3, your original number is as well

Eg:

6,538,654 = 6+5+3+8+6+5+4= 37, 37 is not divisible by 3, so 6,538,654 is also not divisible by 3.

6,538,653 = 6+5+3+8+6+5+3=36, 36 is divisible by 3, and so is 6,538,564, its 2,179,551

Probably the only thing I remember from maths class

I'd find it easier to just divide by 3.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fourier wrote: »
    how it revolutionised the representation of individual consciousness.
    What was Joyce's main insight here, in your opinion?
    That's a really good question, and not one I can answer on a phone (if I can answer it at all!), as well as being one I need to think about. I'll get back to you, my main initial thought is that if it is a question of insight he provides into human consciousness, the answer is almost certainly nothing of value to psychology or psychiatry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Thanks Realt Dearg Sec, perhaps insight isn't the right word, maybe achievements or a description of the revolution. I'll be happy to hear from you either here or in PM, no expectations on a response or time frame for same. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A season on Neptune lasts about 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

mzungu wrote: »
    And still United wouldn't catch City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

And still United wouldn't catch City.

Some people have short memories

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A day on Venus is longer than its year. It's also the only planet in the solar system that rotates(slowly) in the opposite direction to the rest. This means if you could stand on Venus and see the sun sunrise would be to the west and sunset to the east. This opposite slow rotation also means Venus is the most spherical of the planets. The rest bulge at their equators because of centrifugal(?) force.

If you could stand on Venus. You couldn't. It's got the densest atmosphere of any of the rocky planets, surface pressure on the ground would be similar to pressures around 1000 metres under the ocean on Earth and the temperature is hot enough to melt lead, which makes it hotter than Mercury which is much closer to the sun. And you couldn't see the sun through the thick orange atmosphere, though it is diffusely bright on the surface. Our Earth truly is the "goldilocks" world, Venus is too hot(and thick), Mars is too cold(and thin), Earth in the middle is just right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

cdeb wrote: »
    Yep. We won two medals in 1924 - WB Yeats' brother, Jack Butler, won silver in art and Oliver St John Gogarty won bronze in literature. Yeats was Ireland's first ever Olympic medallist

I think the hugely inspirational Peter O'Connor and the other Irishmen who helped him as he climbed up the flagpole to replace the Union Jack with the Irish flag after he won gold in the 1906 Olympics in Athens would disagree with that assertion!
    In 1906 O'Connor and two other athletes, Con Leahy and John Daly, were entered for the Intercalated Games in Athens by the IAAA and GAA, representing Ireland. They were given green blazers and cap with a gold shamrock, and an Irish flag (the ‘Erin Go Bragh’ flag). However, the rules of the games were changed so that only athletes nominated by National Olympic Committees were eligible. Ireland did not have an Olympic Committee, and the British Olympic Council claimed the three. On registering for the Games, O'Connor and his fellow-athletes found that they were listed as Great Britain, not Irish, team members.

In the long jump competition, O'Connor finally met Myer Prinstein of the Irish American Athletic Club who was competing for the U.S. team and whose world record O'Connor had broken five years previously. The only judge for the competition was Matthew Halpin, who was manager of the American team. O'Connor protested, fearing bias, but was overruled. He continued to protest Halpin's decisions through the remainder of the competition. The distances were not announced until the end of the competition. When they were, Prinstein was declared the winner, with O'Connor in Silver Medal position.

At the flag-raising ceremony, in protest at the flying of the Union Flag for his second place, O'Connor scaled a flagpole in the middle of the field and waved the Irish flag, while the pole was guarded by Con Leahy.

In the hop, step and jump competition two days later, O'Connor beat his fellow-countryman, Con Leahy, to win the Gold Medal. At 34 he was the oldest ever Gold Medal winner in this event. Peter O Connor

Peter O Connor's 1906 Olympic wins were a revolutionar moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Wibbs wrote: »
    A day on Venus is longer than its year. It's also the only planet in the solar system that rotates(slowly) in the opposite direction to the rest. This means if you could stand on Venus and see the sun sunrise would be to the west and sunset to the east. This opposite slow rotation also means Venus is the most spherical of the planets. The rest bulge at their equators because of centrifugal(?) force.

If you could stand on Venus. You couldn't. It's got the densest atmosphere of any of the rocky planets, surface pressure on the ground would be similar to pressures around 1000 metres under the ocean on Earth and the temperature is hot enough to melt lead, which makes it hotter than Mercury which is much closer to the sun. And you couldn't see the sun through the thick orange atmosphere, though it is diffusely bright on the surface. Our Earth truly is the "goldilocks" world, Venus is too hot(and thick), Mars is too cold(and thin), Earth in the middle is just right.

Venus and Mars were probably a lot more habitable in the past, quite similar to Earth. Their problem is they lack a magnetic field to protect them from the Suns radiation. Venus rotates too slowly to generate enough power while Mars is simply too small.

This caused Venus to be the victim of a runaway greenhouse effect. The intense heat boiled its oceans creating a thick cloud insulating the planet. This in turn caused the carbon dioxide trapped in rocks to sublimate into the atmosphere, heating the planet up even further.

Its so hot there that it rains sulfuric acid which evaporates before it hits the ground and it even snows metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Something I learned today. A dentist can generally tell if you're right/left handed by looking at your teeth. Apparently you tend to brush harder on the opposite side of your dominant hand which wears down your gums more on that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Something I learned today. A dentist can generally tell if you're right/left handed by looking at your teeth. Apparently you tend to brush harder on the opposite side of your dominant hand which wears down your gums more on that side.

I was at the dentist last week and he asked me if i was right-handed because i was brushing my teeth better on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On Earth the latest season of The Walking Dead lasted 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

B00056718 wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned before, but If you multiply nine by any whole number (except zero), and repeatedly add the digits of the answer until it's just one digit, that digit will always be nine.

Known as the digital root I believe, very interesting game on Nintendo DS known as 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors that uses it in its mechanics.

On a similar note, adding the digits is a quick way to find if a number is divisible by 9 or 3, working backwards from what you said basically. If its divisible by 9, its also divisible by 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

.... the Scottish police boast that there has never been a successful car theft in the Orkney Islands....

After all, they could not get the car off the island! All they need to do is alert the ferry and you have to book the ferry in advance,,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement