Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

greenspurs wrote: »
    54% of males have admitted to masturbating in the toilets at work (the remaining 46% are liars)

You haven't seen our work toilets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    A day on Venus is longer than its year.
    It's a Scottish dream.

Every day is new years eve and a Hogmanay all-nighter would last eight months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A day on Venus is longer than its year. It's also the only planet in the solar system that rotates(slowly) in the opposite direction to the rest. This means if you could stand on Venus and see the sun sunrise would be to the west and sunset to the east. This opposite slow rotation also means Venus is the most spherical of the planets. The rest bulge at their equators because of centrifugal(?) force.

If you could stand on Venus. You couldn't. It's got the densest atmosphere of any of the rocky planets, surface pressure on the ground would be similar to pressures around 1000 metres under the ocean on Earth and the temperature is hot enough to melt lead, which makes it hotter than Mercury which is much closer to the sun. And you couldn't see the sun through the thick orange atmosphere, though it is diffusely bright on the surface. Our Earth truly is the "goldilocks" world, Venus is too hot(and thick), Mars is too cold(and thin), Earth in the middle is just right.

Reminds me of this joke on last week tonight this week. (the joke starts about 20 seconds from this point. I'm just including the run up to it).

https://youtu.be/nG2pEffLEJo?t=7m30s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Graces7 wrote: »
    .... the Scottish police boast that there has never been a successful car theft in the Orkney Islands....

After all, they could not get the car off the island! All they need to do is alert the ferry and you have to book the ferry in advance,,

Challenge accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

This is Saturn's moon Hyperion:

EEF769C3-ABA0-4A5D-B9B82BBF49916404.jpg?w=590&h=393&84A1EBFD-835A-40A6-9D3AC2EE85EC2A09

Hyperion's rotation about its axis is so chaotic, that if you lived there it would be virtually impossible to predict when the Sun would rise or set. So chaotic that at morning to predict when noon would be you'd have to know the shape of the Hyperion's craters and their positions to near centimeter accuracy and equally precisely what direction the North pole was pointing.

If it wasn't for the Sun, this chaos would get stronger and stronger (chaos getting stronger and stronger means prediction relies on smaller and smaller features), until eventually exactly what way Hyperion was going to turn would depend on the subatomic physics of Hyperion's rocks.

However the Sun, by shining light on Hyperion which then bounces off the rocks, affects the subatomic physics in such a way as to prevent the chaos from spreading down to that scale. Which is the only reason you don't need Quantum Mechanics to model Hyperion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Challenge accepted!

Let me know! lol...

OH ! stop press!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/the-great-orkney-car-theft-mystery-1-1154928

This was after I left! The boast was before that! But none since..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The fuel gauge on your dashboard has a small arrow next to it....look next time.

It points to the side of the car where the fuel tank nozzle is located. Only found out that last week after 22 years driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

The fuel gauge on your dashboard has a small arrow next to it....look next time.

It points to the side of the car where the fuel tank nozzle is located. Only found out that last week after 22 years driving.

Mine doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

Mine doesn't

On some cars it’s the side that the little pump symbol is on the gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You'll notice that cars that were manufactured(originally) in countries where you drive on the right hand side of the road will have the fuel cap on the right hand side - so you would be stood safely in off the road when you pulled up at a petrol pump. Lots of complicated stuff came in to the equation thereafter so that information is outdated and useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's a Scottish dream.

Every day is new years eve and a Hogmanay all-nighter would last eight months.

Imagine the money they'd have to spend, they'd hate it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wally79 wrote: »
    On some cars it’s the side that the little pump symbol is on the gauge
    Not on mine. Doesn't have the arrow either.

453252.jpg

My fuel tank nozzle is on the passenger side. Maybe the symbol tells me that's the type of pump I should aim for? Or Honda were just out to confuse.

1451050634185.jpg

:D

In keeping avec the thread; Honda are the world's largest producers of internal combustion engines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

11 days that never happened in Britain.

Nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752. The British Calendar Act of 1751 proclaimed that in Britain (and Americn Colonies) Thursday 3 September 1752 should become Thursday 14 September 1752

In 1752 Britain decided to abandon the Julian calendar in favour of the Gregorian. By doing so, 3 September instantly became 14 September - and as a result, nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

My fuel tank nozzle is on the passenger side. Maybe the symbol tells me that's the type of pump I should aim for? Or Honda were just out to confuse.

In keeping avec the thread; Honda are the world's largest producers of internal combustion engines.

I've always thought it was the icon pointing towards the side the pump cap is on. So your fuel pump is pointing to the left, which is the side your nozzle is on. Always worked that way in cars i've driven anyway:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

In 2011 a DNA study confirmed that 28% of Cod sold in Irish chippers was not Cod at all and had been replaced with a cheaper alternative.

somefeen wrote: »
    In 2011 a DNA study confirmed that 28% of Cod sold in Irish chippers was not Cod at all and had been replaced with a cheaper alternative.

Quite frankly I'm surprised its that low.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752. The British Calendar Act of 1751 proclaimed that in Britain (and Americn Colonies) Thursday 3 September 1752 should become Thursday 14 September 1752

In 1752 Britain decided to abandon the Julian calendar in favour of the Gregorian. By doing so, 3 September instantly became 14 September - and as a result, nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752.
    This only happened in Greece in 1923. Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh lived through this jump.

Other countries have different calendars of course. It's the year 107 in North Korea, 1396 in Iran, 1467 in Armenia, 2008 in Ethiopia and 2561 in Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

453252.jpg

1451050634185.jpg

Quoted to tell you my OCD loves that you took that pic with the odometer at 150000.

I've a photo on my phone of my clock at 98765km. And the trip computer 432.1

Spent ages waiting for the right moment to set it all up, the gf gave me an exasperated roll eyes when I explained why. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Quite frankly I'm surprised its that low.

I'm surprised it's a fish!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ipso wrote: »
    I'm surprised it's a fish!

Why, do you smell a rat? :pac:

• Advertisement

I've always thought it was the icon pointing towards the side the pump cap is on. So your fuel pump is pointing to the left, which is the side your nozzle is on. Always worked that way in cars i've driven anyway:pac:

Sorry that is what I meant- it points to the side where the fuel cap is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Cod is itself a term that applies to multiple types (even species) of fish.

I always get hake. Price with fish is to do with the supply or availability of fish. Cod used to be be dirt cheap, hence it’s use in fish n chips to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Cod is itself a term that applies to multiple types (even species) of fish.

I always get hake. Price with fish is to do with the supply or availability of fish. Cod used to be be dirt cheap, hence it’s use in fish n chips to begin with.

I think that would be incorrect. In ireland Cod specifically refers to Gadus Morhua, Atlantic Cod.
    There are other fish similar to Cod like Haddock but the term for these is Gadoids.

Edit. But you might be correct since there's a lot of ambiguity around common names. I must have a look at how EU food labeling laws define cod.

I'm sure the Brits were off killing natives in some far off lands. Nothing to write home about.

I think that would be incorrect. In ireland Cod specifically refers to Gadus Morhua, Atlantic Cod.
    There are other fish similar to Cod like Haddock but the term for these is Gadoids.

Edit. But you might be correct since there's a lot of ambiguity around common names. I must have a look at how EU food labeling laws define cod.

Check out the brains on Brad...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Some cars do, most do not. It's an urban myth that has popped up several times.

Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota and Nissan all said their modern vehicles had such an indicator.

Vauxhall said all models built in the past two years have an arrow but added that the petrol cap always sits on the driver’s side in their vehicles anyway.

Audis and BMWs do not have an indicator as standard, but again say it is always on the driver’s side - except in BMW Minis.

Citroen and Peugeot do not have a graphic, and the cap can be found on either side of their cars.

The manufacturers’ responses disprove another common, but mistaken, belief: that the cap is on whatever would be the passengers’ side in a car’s main market, so drivers could safely fill up from a jerry-can at the side of the road, away from passing traffic.

Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota and Nissan all said their modern vehicles had such an indicator.

Vauxhall said all models built in the past two years have an arrow but added that the petrol cap always sits on the driver’s side in their vehicles anyway.

Audis and BMWs do not have an indicator as standard, but again say it is always on the driver’s side - except in BMW Minis.

Citroen and Peugeot do not have a graphic, and the cap can be found on either side of their cars.

The manufacturers’ responses disprove another common, but mistaken, belief: that the cap is on whatever would be the passengers’ side in a car’s main market, so drivers could safely fill up from a jerry-can at the side of the road, away from passing traffic.

But what is the reason for it if the explantion given to me is an urban myth?

Mine is a BMW and has it. Missus has an Audi will check hers next time I drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

But what is the reason for it if the explantion given to me is an urban myth?

Mine is a BMW and has it. Missus has an Audi will check hers next time I drive it.

It's a myth in that is it not true for all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

My current |Mazda does have the little indicator
    My previous Peugeot did as well
    The wife's current Audi and previous Audi had it as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

My current |Mazda does have the little indicator
    My previous Peugeot did as well
    The wife's current Audi and previous Audi had it as well

2015 mercedes has it too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement