Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jaguar solved this problem a long time ago on the XJ-S. The fuel cap is on the right.

And there's another one on the left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

VW 1 wrote: »
    Quoted to tell you my OCD loves that you took that pic with the odometer at 150000.

I've a photo on my phone of my clock at 98765km. And the trip computer 432.1

Spent ages waiting for the right moment to set it all up, the gf gave me an exasperated roll eyes when I explained why. :D
    TBH I can understand her throwing her eyes to heaven, for you good Sir... are a weird bastard. But then again, as my pic proves, so am I(not a bet you didn't know that entry). Nada wrong with that in my book. :D For me that pic was a milestone, well... a kilometrestone. As it were. I was going back home from god knows where and noticed the KM's were ticking by to that number, so I kept an eye peeled. How I didn't cause a pileup... Though likely caused a few embolisms of WTF in other drivers. Pulled over at the right time and took the pic.

It gets even sadder... Being *ahem* of a more mature vintage and having grown up betwixt imperial and metric and confused by both equally, I then googled what 100,000 miles in old money was in Km's. Turns out it's 160934.4 Km. And I took a picture then. That .4 was a right bastard to catch. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Some cars do, most do not. It's an urban myth .

I'll tell you what, I got a delicious moment of victorious glory thanks to that urban myth, when my Mam turned to me, slightly panicked as we approached the pumps in her rental car : "Mountains, I don't know what side the tank is on, what shall I do ?", "Worry not, mother, look thou yonder at the little arrow on the pump, thence be your tank." (I think the car was a Honda)

I feel I have to include a little "you didn't know that" so there goes :

The famous song "My way" sung by Sinatra was originally the French song "Comme d'habitude" sung by Claude Francois.

Canadian singer/song writer Paul Anka just happened to see it on the tv in France in 1968, liked the tune, and rewrote it for Frank Sinatra the following year.

The meaning of the song completely changed : while in English it is an end-of-life "no regrets" kind of song, in French it was about routine (comme d'habitude = as usual), and a couple that are pretending to be still in love while they have privately broken apart.

(Claude Francois was hugely successful and famous, and died young, electrocuting himself in the bath as he attempted to fix a light fitting that had gone wonky).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

If there was a hole going straight through the earth and you jumped in, it would take about 42 mins to reach the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

mzungu wrote: »
    If there was a hole going straight through the earth and you jumped in, it would take about 42 mins to reach the other side.

Would you ever get to the other side?

Edit:

You’re right.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/would-you-fall-all-the-wa/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jaguar solved this problem a long time ago on the XJ-S. The fuel cap is on the right.

And there's another one on the left.
    More likely because you needed two fuel holes for quick access to keep the thing running for any length of time. :D Not quite a joke either. I knew someone who had the series three E-Type with the V12. You could actually watch the fuel gauge slowly but perceptively drop on tickover. :eek: That engine was a beautifully engineered petrol leak, with added noise. :D

On that note... No less a man ego than Enzo Ferrari said of the Jaguar E-type that "it was the most beautiful car in the world". And it was way cheaper than Italian and other exotics of the time. And could do 150 MPH(with a long run up, though cars like the E-Type roaring down the newly opened M1 in England did hasten the end of no speed limits on their roads). Damned near every famous and renowned man and woman of the time and since has owned one.

And damn if it isn't a very pretty car(though a little under wheeled for my liking).
    6004404076_6feb9eb1c1_b.jpg

Though such was its cultural impact that one Doctor Christiaan Barnard, who performed the first heart transplant was once asked how he would measure death clinically and his reply was along the lines of: If a man sat in an E-Type Jaguar failed to score with a Lady©, he was most likely clinically dead. :D

Oh and see those white wall tyres? Tyre rubber was actually white, or close to it back in the day before modern plastics, they added black pigment to make tyres black.

The very first car I "drove" was an E Type owned by an uncle. Who decided that at the age of 11 I should have a go at driving. As you do. Never mind my Da™ teaching me and then getting me to drive most of the way home after our regular fishing jaunts when I was 12/13/14. Jaysus Da, said I, Be grand, said he. We were stopped by the Guards on a couple of occasions and after a mandatory, if desultary and half hearted lecture, in all but once instance let me go on. Different days... And not that long ago. Today, the Da™ would be in the Joy, the Ma™ would be granted a no fault divorce and I'd be in care. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Worry not, mother, look thou yonder at the little arrow on the pump, thence be your tank." (I think the car was a Honda)
    Which as I have discovered likely means the Honda bastards are fucking with you, like they have with me. :D

(Claude Francois was hugely successful and famous, and died young, electrocuting himself in the bath as he attempted to fix a light fitting that had gone wonky).
    A fairly common way to peg it in the 1950's and 60's was dying in the bathroom. Electrical outlets were the same as the rest of the house and third party heaters and boilers for many said bathrooms either killed people by electric shock, or by CO poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh and see those white wall tyres? Tyre rubber was actually white, or close to it back in the day before modern plastics, they added black pigment to make tyres black.

Not black pigment, black carbon, which increases durability and dissipates heat more evenly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

VW 1 wrote: »
    Quoted to tell you my OCD loves that you took that pic with the odometer at 150000.

I've a photo on my phone of my clock at 98765km. And the trip computer 432.1

Spent ages waiting for the right moment to set it all up, the gf gave me an exasperated roll eyes when I explained why. :D

Couple of years ago my girlfriend wanted to swap cars to collect her friends from the airport as mine was bigger and had a had a huge boot. She wasn't too impressed when I told her sorry no, not today.
    The reason.......the odometer was set to turn to 100,000 on the way home from work and I'd been excitedly counting down to the big event for the previous couple of weeks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

11 days that never happened in Britain.

Nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752. The British Calendar Act of 1751 proclaimed that in Britain (and Americn Colonies) Thursday 3 September 1752 should become Thursday 14 September 1752

In 1752 Britain decided to abandon the Julian calendar in favour of the Gregorian. By doing so, 3 September instantly became 14 September - and as a result, nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752.

I'll see your 11 .... days and raise you 300 years that mightnt have happened :pac:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_hypothesis

There's a reason those ages were so dark.

More time related stuff here. http://qi.com/infocloud/time

Another one: Chris Martin (from Coldplay) had a great great grandfather who invented daylight saving time. On that note:

Nobody really knows what the song is about but I think the giveaway is the first line.

'Lights go out and I can't be saved'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

First the disclaimer: Fourier - don't ask me any questions, i'll plead the 5th, but please do feel free to correct me!

A new technique to measure (well to extrapolate) the pressure inside a proton has lead to an astronomically high measurement, actually in the region of an order of magnitude higher than the pressure inside a neutron star (the densest object known) or 10 to the 30 times standard atmospheric pressure.

(For fear of embarrassing myself, I won't even pretend to understand how exactly "they" have arrived at this measurement.)

Now something a bit more my level - here's a video of a tardigrade taking a crap.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

This is a triumphal arch built for the visit of Queen Victoria in 1900. It was on Leeson St bridge, was made of wood and demolished some time later.

0213.jpg?w=640

Though this is also supposed to have been the arch.

35078157_10156419697258794_3410090401074249728_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c8f2f3bcbaf315e5ede9dafb9ca10690&oe=5BB7BC24

There's a video of it here:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/queen-victoria-in-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

First the disclaimer: Fourier - don't ask me any questions, i'll plead the 5th, but please do feel free to correct me!

A new technique to measure (well to extrapolate) the pressure inside a proton has lead to an astronomically high measurement, actually in the region of an order of magnitude higher than the pressure inside a neutron star (the densest object known) or 10 to the 30 times standard atmospheric pressure.

(For fear of embarrassing myself, I won't even pretend to understand how exactly "they" have arrived at this measurement.)

Now something a bit more my level - here's a video of a tardigrade taking a crap.:D
    I'll respond to this but I see your tardigrade and raise you a penguin:
    Screen-Shot-2012-09-27-at-5.59.53-PM1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wibbs wrote: »
    More likely because you needed two fuel holes for quick access to keep the thing running for any length of time. :D Not quite a joke either. I knew someone who had the series three E-Type with the V12. You could actually watch the fuel gauge slowly but perceptively drop on tickover. :eek: That engine was a beautifully engineered petrol leak, with added noise. :D

I had an XJ12 many many moons ago in Canada, fabulous car for L'Autoroute but it's a good thing fuel was cheap there. I think it was 2*40 liter tanks in a 5.3l V12....didn't last very long.

Also dead handy that it came with a builtin radar detector when we bought it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Greybottle wrote: »
    This is a triumphal arch built for the visit of Queen Victoria in 1900. It was on Leeson St bridge, was made of wood and demolished some time later.

Thats odd, they are both in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Greybottle wrote: »

One was in 1900 and the other was in 1903.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That Brian Blessed post reminded me of Christopher Lee; he had a very interesting and weird life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's only one creature on the planet that defies death. The Immortal Jellyfish as it is more commonly known can actually reverse its aging process going from adult to juvenile and back again as many times as it wants. Fascinating creature.

https://immortal-jellyfish.com

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Here’s a bit of Cup trivia you may not know. In 1962, NASA launched a small, spherical communications satellite called Telstar that ended up altering the look of the balls used in the World Cup.

Telstar was the first active communications satellite and the first commercial payload in space. By sending television signals, telephone calls, and fax images from space, the 3-foot-long satellite kicked off a whole new era in telecommunications—and soccer ball design.

There’s a direct line between the distinctive black and white patterning of Telstar’s hull and solar panels and the Adidas ball used as the official ball of the 1970 World Cup in Mexico and the 1974 World Cup in West Germany. While earlier generations of soccer balls were brown and did not show up well on television, the 1970 and 1974 balls featured the now iconic 32-panel design of alternating white hexagons and black pentagons, a pattern that closely resembled Telstar. Fittingly, that first ball was called Telstar Elast; the official ball in 2018, a nod to the 1970 ball, is called the Telstar 18.

453385.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

M5 wrote: »
    Here’s a bit of Cup trivia you may not know. In 1962, NASA launched a small, spherical communications satellite called Telstar that ended up altering the look of the balls used in the World Cup.

Telstar was the first active communications satellite and the first commercial payload in space. By sending television signals, telephone calls, and fax images from space, the 3-foot-long satellite kicked off a whole new era in telecommunications—and soccer ball design.

There’s a direct line between the distinctive black and white patterning of Telstar’s hull and solar panels and the Adidas ball used as the official ball of the 1970 World Cup in Mexico and the 1974 World Cup in West Germany. While earlier generations of soccer balls were brown and did not show up well on television
    The black and white panels were chosen to provide contrast for black and white TV's

Telstar had an orbital period of a little over two and a half hours. So you could only use it when when it was overhead. And not for long

The Tornados had an instrumental called Telstar. #1 in the USA charts.
    For 1962 it was jaw dropping, thanks to the production by Joe Meek.

If there's one tip I could give you today it's watch BBC4 music documentaries.

Joe Meek genius, but went crazy towards the end. Murdered his landlady and then killed himself. The really sad bit is that the legal battle over the royalties was settled in his favour three weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The world cup trophy was once stolen and found by pickles!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_the_Jules_Rimet_Trophy

JRant wrote: »
    There's only one creature on the planet that defies death.

Waterbears :p

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

World War II

In occupied Europe the Nazis attempted to jam broadcasts to the continent from the BBC and other allied stations. Along with increasing transmitter power and adding extra frequencies, attempts were made to counteract the jamming by dropping leaflets over cities instructing listeners to construct a directional loop aerial that would enable them to hear the stations through the jamming. In the Netherlands such aerials were nicknamed "moffenzeef" (English: "kraut sieve")

loop.jpg

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

just reading a bit about Northern Ireland at the World cup:

In the 1958 competition Northern Ireland became the least populous country to have qualified for the World Cup, a record that stood until Trinidad & Tobago qualified for the 2006 World Cup. [Record now held by Iceland] Northern Ireland remains, however, the least populous country to have qualified for more than one World Cup finals tournament, to win a World Cup finals match, to have scored at a World Cup finals, [Record now held by Iceland] and to have progressed from the first round of the World Cup finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

NI also have the record for youngest ever player Norman Whiteside

International career. Whiteside broke Pelé's record as the youngest player to appear in a World Cup, when he debuted for Northern Ireland aged 17 years and 41 days at the 1982 World Cup in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

So to respond to this and some related info, it's a handy jumping point to explain atoms.

The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility managed to use electromagnetic fields to measure the pressure within a proton. Previously people thought you'd have to use gravitational fields to do this (gravity responds directly to pressure, electromagnetism doesn't), but the group found a way around this. (Any more detail is too much for a forum post)

Quantum Theory is broken into two main branches:
    1. Quantum Mechanics, which deals with situations were particles are moving slowly and don't decay or combine
    2. Quantum Field Theory, which basically deals with every situation. However it is very difficult to work with.

There's a quantum field theory to handle each of the three forces, the one for the strong nuclear force being called Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD for short). This handles everything to do with what goes on in atomic nuclei.

QCD predicts massive internal pressure inside a proton, which has been confirmed by this experiment. The pressure in a proton is over ten times that on a Neutron star. Or

times atmospheric pressure. That's in every proton in your body.

So now that we have confirmation of this, the best way to think of* a proton is basically a ball of paste that starts off fluid like near the center and gets more viscous the further from the center you go, until it becomes solid at a certain point (the edge of the proton). At the point where it becomes solid, the pressure within the paste is ten times that of a neutron star. There are also three knots in the fluid/places where the fluid is twisted at the center (we'd call them quarks). Neutrons are the same. The internal flow of the paste is incredibly complicated, a supercomputer can't fully manage it.

Or simpler, a proton is like a toffee ball with a molten toffee center. There are three swirls within the creamy center, these are the quarks. They're more patterns in the proton than things in and of themselves

In helium then you'd have two protons and two neutrons, being four "paste balls" like this. It's never really clear when one ends and another begins though as tubes of paste connect each of them (we see these tubes as pion particles).

Then sitting on top of this is an electrically charged fluid, much more smooth and fine than the paste within the proton (like oil versus toffee). This fluid is the two electrons. We tend to think of it as two particles because it tends to leave two small marks in equipment like a Geiger counter. As Arnold Neumaier, professor of physics in Vienna says:
    Electrons show up as particles only under particular circumstances; e.g., in detectors such as Geiger counters.
    He uses the more accurate term "electronic fluid".

Other atoms are then the same, just with more toffee balls and more electronic fluid on top of them.

Again all of this is with the proviso that Quantum Theory just says "this is a handy way to think of an atom", it doesn't say if an atom is really anything like this. All this fluid stuff is most likely just like the flashing lights from my boardgame analogy earlier. It's what we tend to see, but it could be just a shadow or aftereffect of the real thing.

Note: It's a myth that an atom is mostly empty space. Coming from pre-quantum physics. The electronic fluid fills the atom from the nucleus all the way out to the edge. It comes from measuring the size of stuff with a Geiger counter or similar, but that's just one way of measuring this stuff, again to quote Arnold Neumaier:
    We don't think glass doesn't occupy space because it is transparent for light, or that only the bones of our bodies occupy space because the remainder is transparent for X-rays
    So number 7 in this list from the Guardian is just false: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jan/27/20-human-body-facts-science

*by this I mean the best thing you can picture in your head from what we know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

In 1974, Holland had a great football team and were expected to win The World Cup.

Before the final against West Germany, it is believed that they were set up by the German newspaper Bild who apparently sent women over to the team's hotel pool and then ran the story "Cruyff, Sekt, nackte Madchen und ein kuhles Bad"(Cruyff, Champagne, naked girls and a cool bath), targeting the team's star player Johan Cruyff and he spent most of the day before the final in talks with his wife over the phone.

West Germany went on to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fourier wrote: »
    So to respond to this and some related info, it's a handy jumping point to explain atoms.

The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility managed to use electromagnetic fields to measure the pressure within a proton. Previously people thought you'd have to use gravitational fields to do this (gravity responds directly to pressure, electromagnetism doesn't), but the group found a way around this. (Any more detail is too much for a forum post)

Quantum Theory is broken into two main branches:
    1. Quantum Mechanics, which deals with situations were particles are moving slowly and don't decay or combine
    2. Quantum Field Theory, which basically deals with every situation. However it is very difficult to work with.

There's a quantum field theory to handle each of the three forces, the one for the strong nuclear force being called Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD for short). This handles everything to do with what goes on in atomic nuclei.

QCD predicts massive internal pressure inside a proton, which has been confirmed by this experiment. The pressure in a proton is over ten times that on a Neutron star. Or

times atmospheric pressure. That's in every proton in your body.

So now that we have confirmation of this, the best way to think of* a proton is basically a ball of paste that starts off fluid like near the center and gets more viscous the further from the center you go, until it becomes solid at a certain point (the edge of the proton). At the point where it becomes solid, the pressure within the paste is ten times that of a neutron star. There are also three knots in the fluid/places where the fluid is twisted at the center (we'd call them quarks). Neutrons are the same. The internal flow of the paste is incredibly complicated, a supercomputer can't fully manage it.

Or simpler, a proton is like a toffee ball with a molten toffee center. There are three swirls within the creamy center, these are the quarks. They're more patterns in the proton than things in and of themselves

In helium then you'd have two protons and two neutrons, being four "paste balls" like this. It's never really clear when one ends and another begins though as tubes of paste connect each of them (we see these tubes as pion particles).

Then sitting on top of this is an electrically charged fluid, much more smooth and fine than the paste within the proton (like oil versus toffee). This fluid is the two electrons. We tend to think of it as two particles because it tends to leave two small marks in equipment like a Geiger counter. As Arnold Neumaier, professor of physics in Vienna says:
    He uses the more accurate term "electronic fluid".

Other atoms are then the same, just with more toffee balls and more electronic fluid on top of them.

Again all of this is with the proviso that Quantum Theory just says "this is a handy way to think of an atom", it doesn't say if an atom is really anything like this. All this fluid stuff is most likely just like the flashing lights from my boardgame analogy earlier. It's what we tend to see, but it could be just a shadow or aftereffect of the real thing.

Note: It's a myth that an atom is mostly empty space. Coming from pre-quantum physics. The electronic fluid fills the atom from the nucleus all the way out to the edge. It comes from measuring the size of stuff with a Geiger counter or similar, but that's just one way of measuring this stuff, again to quote Arnold Neumaier:

So number 7 in this list from the Guardian is just false: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jan/27/20-human-body-facts-science

*by this I mean the best thing you can picture in your head from what we know

Brilliant synopsis Fourier.

Speaking of neutrons, they make the magic happen, so to speak and allow us to harness nuclear power. Before their discovery it was thought to be impossible to release the energy within an atom.

https://youtu.be/HD3k1hgbUXQ

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Fourier wrote: »
    I'll respond to this but I see your tardigrade and raise you a penguin:
    Screen-Shot-2012-09-27-at-5.59.53-PM1.png

Is that from the Applied Maths exam?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement