Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Haven't time to read it now. I'll start reading it some night I can't sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Water John wrote: »
    Haven't time to read it now. I'll start reading it some night I can't sleep.

Or just don't read it, and don't bother insulting me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ryan Tubridys Grandfather was director general of RTE and good pal's with DeValera.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

RIGOLO wrote: »
    After the recent discussion I bet you dont WANT to know about your toothbrush and toilet bacteria.
    Back on topic. 
    Everest is not the highest point on earth.
    Everest is the highest point above sea level, but the highest point on earth as defined by the furthest point from the centre of the earth is in fact Chimborazo.

Mauna Kea in Hawaii is the tallest mountain on Earth at over 10,000 m (33,000 ft) when measured from its oceanic base, although most of the mountain is under water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A child's got more bones than a grown ups got

Except for yorema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Realt Dearg Sec, thank you very much for the extensive answer, it's the clearest exposition on Joyce I've yet heard. I was thinking of reading him this year and going in understanding the actual purpose of his SOC technique is a huge help. I think otherwise I would have just thought of it as simply that, a quirky technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fourier wrote: »
    Realt Dearg Sec, thank you very much for the extensive answer, it's the clearest exposition on Joyce I've yet heard. I was thinking of reading him this year and going in understanding the actual purpose of his SOC technique is huge help. I think otherwise I would have just thought of it as simply that, a quirky technique.

FWIW I think the best way to read the book is without any outside guidance, take it as it comes, don't worry too much about understanding it all, and skip to the end of an episode if it's boring to you. Declan Kiberd's Ulysses and Us is a very good read if you want a primer with it but his main point is that the novel is not really meant to be a book for lit professors, it's supposed to be a book that different people with different experiences and understandings of the world can all bring something to, and take something from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kat1170 wrote: »
    What about the ones with W on them ????:D:D
    They are grey imports originally destined for the Australian market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Everest is not the highest point on earth.
    It's not even the highest mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

It's not even the highest mountain.

That would be Chimborazo I presume?
    Not the highest point above sea level, but due to equatorial bulge it is the furthest point on the planet from the centre of the Earth's core.

• Advertisement

Everest is not the tallest mountain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Everest is not the tallest mountain either.

isn't there one that is mosty under water or something along those lines?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Sir George Everest objected to the mountain being named after him as it could not be written in Hindi and could not be correctly pronounced by the indigenous people. Before 1865 the mountain did not have a single common native name, different societies called it different names.

The Royal Geographical Society overruled his objections and named the mountain Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

py2006 wrote: »
    A child's got more bones than a grown ups got.

NOW, EVERYBODY JOIN IN WITH ME...

This has brought back a question i always wondered - why is he wooden?

And maunu kea is considered the tallest mountain on earth, when measuring from the base to the top (the base being beneath sea level in this case)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Realt Dearg Sec, that was a fucking cracking post. On the SOC(nicking your acronyms all over the place), one thing I noticed down the years is - outside of "I" own this shit(and even then it's more usually X owns this shit) - how lacking the first person, the "I" is in ancient literature. Greek, Roman, Chinese, Egyptian, Mesopotamian and so forth. Even the idea of a diary come fairly late. IIRC the first that we might recognise is a Roman writer sometime in the 3rd or 4th century. Julius Caesar's writings largely lack the "I", its almost entirely third person stuff.

As an aside these kinda things fascinate me as far as the possible evolution of human self awareness and consciousness and consciousness descriptors of the world beyond go. Take the earlier in the thread notion of colours and how that's changed over time. How early writers had a far narrower and often odd to our eyes/ears colour palette. It seems in some cases they didn't actually "see" colours unless there was a "name" to it. Blue an obvious one. It didn't quite exist in early writings and was conflated with green. Orange another. The Robin Red Breast a good example. They clearly have a more orange breast but got the name before orange became a colour and one we could "see" as different, separate. Now I don't buy into the notion that some have posited that earlier peoples weren't aware of their own consciousness and thoughts and ascribed them to the gods. They clearly did know their own minds.

That said it's fascinating how externalised cultural descriptors seem to influence our evolution of thought itself and vice versa. What's even more fascinating to me is that the human brain has the capacity to expand human thought in unexpected directions of mind. That different cultures over time with the same brains and "wiring" are influenced by the culture they inhabit. And how plastic that is, even within a single lifetime. There have been a few examples of folks from "primitive", at least very different cultures, who have adapted to more complex modern cultures simply by moving into one.

Consider art, particular figurative art. That comes along seemingly "overnight" about 35 odd thousand years ago, yet we had the same brain wiring for at least 100,000 years. And it comes along fully developed(and the earliest examples are often more expert and realised than later). We suddenly start representing external three dimensional things on flat(mostly) surfaces. Something that seems obvious to us reading this, yet as late as the 19th century there were folks in remote parts of Turkey, devout Muslims whose faith frowned upon figurative art, who saw paintings, even early photographs of familiar subjects, as a jumble of tones and colours. You can look at a Monet and see haystacks in the ebbing sun in the globs of paint and take that for granted - that's a fecking haystack, or lily pad and it's only deadly - but it seems it wasn't always thus. The aforementioned Monet and Impressionism was initially seen as a joke and the name itself comes from a disparaging review of an early exhibition of those artists, yet now Monet would be ubiquitous and accepted as "truly great art". Perspective is another relatively late thing. Pre the Renaissance the important parts of a painting were just made larger, so kings etc were larger than peasants and lesser figures. The idea of perspective and realism was almost entirely absent. Perspective was initially more of a magic trick to show and wow the man and woman on the street. And soon enough it became how we "see" paintings as "reality".

Ryan Tubridys Grandfather was director general of RTE and good pal's with DeValera.
    Well there's a shock for today... ;):D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

retalivity wrote: »
    Cheap actor. They couldn't get DeNiro. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Apparently the ad people rang up and asked for the most wooden actor available. They were offered Leo from fair city but then realised that was probably too wooden so went with your man instead.

In the spirit if the thread, I found out recently that Seth Rogan was one of the writers for Ali G in da USA back in tne day

Wibbs wrote: »
    Realt Dearg Sec, that was a fucking cracking post. On the SOC(nicking your acronyms all over the place), one thing I noticed down the years is - outside of "I" own this shit(and even then it's more usually X owns this shit) - how lacking the first person, the "I" is in ancient literature. Greek, Roman, Chinese, Egyptian, Mesopotamian and so forth. Even the idea of a diary come fairly late. IIRC the first that we might recognise is a Roman writer sometime in the 3rd or 4th century. Julius Caesar's writings largely lack the "I", its almost entirely third person stuff.
    St Patrick was one of the first to use that viewpoint

I am Patrick, yes a sinner and indeed untaught;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Apparently the ad people rang up and asked for the most wooden actor available. They were offered Leo from fair city but then realised that was probably too wooden so went with your man instead.

In the spirit if the thread, I found out recently that Seth Rogan was one of the writers for Ali G in da USA back in tne day

Apparently they don't use make up on them, just the auld Ronseal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

And maunu kea is considered the tallest mountain on earth, when measuring from the base to the top (the base being beneath sea level in this case)

Why would you do that? The base below sea level is an inconsistent reference point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

One of the most recognisable dinosaurs to have walked the Earth is the Stegosaurus. Its distinctive features include an array of upright spinal plates and a tail tipped with fearsome spikes.

Paleontologists now generally concur that the herbivore used the tail spikes as a defense against predators.

The celebrated cartoonist Gary Larson, creator of The Far Side, was noted for his surrealist sense of humour, use of anthropomorphic animals as well as poking fun at characters that were often scientists, aliens and, such as in this case, cavemen.

This is a cartoon he published in 1982.

thagomizer_thag_simmons_kidicarus222.jpg

Inadvertently Larson had become the first person to give this iconic part of dinosaur anatomy a name, something paleontologists had somehow overlooked.

After being used as one of those "wacky" slides at an international fossil conference the term “thagomizer” caught on among scientists, and although I don't believe it's yet the actual accepted scientific term, it's the one they all use.

Smithsonian

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Royal Geographical Society overruled his objections and named the mountain Everest.

And if my dodgy QI memory is anything to go by, we actually pronounce it wrong too. The first syllable should rhyme with Steve, instead of Kev.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yep, that's correct.

Sagarmatha is the local (Nepalese) name, or Chomolungma in Tibetan.

Just seeing on wiki there that there was a 5-year diplomatic dispute over the height of the mountain. China claimed it was 8844m, not the official 8848m acknowledged by Nepal. The Chinese were measuring the height of the rock, while the standard measurement includes the snow on top of the peak. In 2010, both sides agreed that the height was 8848m, and the rock height was 8844m.

Bit on the BBC about it.

Another of my favorite Everest things is the height being too perfect.

Finally, in March 1856 he announced his findings in a letter to his deputy in Calcutta. Kangchenjunga was declared to be 8,582 m (28,156 ft), while Peak XV was given the height of 8,840 m (29,002 ft). Waugh concluded that Peak XV was "most probably the highest in the world".[14] Peak XV (measured in feet) was calculated to be exactly 29,000 ft (8,839.2 m) high, but was publicly declared to be 29,002 ft (8,839.8 m) in order to avoid the impression that an exact height of 29,000 feet (8,839.2 m) was nothing more than a rounded estimate.[16] Waugh is sometimes playfully credited with being "the first person to put two feet on top of Mount Everest".[17]

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

quickbeam wrote:
    And if my dodgy QI memory is anything to go by, we actually pronounce it wrong too. The first syllable should rhyme with Steve, instead of Kev.

cdeb wrote:
    Sagarmatha is the local (Nepalese) name, or Chomolungma in Tibetan.

Sagarmatha > Steverest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

quickbeam wrote: »

pheven.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Another of my favorite Everest things is the height being too perfect.

Finally, in March 1856 he announced his findings in a letter to his deputy in Calcutta. Kangchenjunga was declared to be 8,582 m (28,156 ft), while Peak XV was given the height of 8,840 m (29,002 ft). Waugh concluded that Peak XV was "most probably the highest in the world".[14] Peak XV (measured in feet) was calculated to be exactly 29,000 ft (8,839.2 m) high, but was publicly declared to be 29,002 ft (8,839.8 m) in order to avoid the impression that an exact height of 29,000 feet (8,839.2 m) was nothing more than a rounded estimate.[16] Waugh is sometimes playfully credited with being "the first person to put two feet on top of Mount Everest".[17]

Reminds me of The Englishman who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How's this for irony. The first parliament in the world to grant women the vote was the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Jacuzzi is a brand name. You can also buy Jacuzzi toilets and mattresses.

EDIT: Jesus, posted that and copped im bringing it back to toilets again.....im totally gonna get pigeonholed (oh matron) at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

One of the most recognisable dinosaurs to have walked the Earth is the Stegosaurus. Its distinctive features include an array of upright spinal plates and a tail tipped with fearsome spikes.

Another interesting Dino fact: Less time separates us from T-Rex than T-Rex from Stegosaurus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement