Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Humans can vomit (im sure at least some of you are familiar with the process). Horses, however, almost physically can't because of the power of the cut-off valve muscle.

Normally, the mechanics are such that the horse's stomach ruptures before the valve yields. If material does pass from stomach out the esophagus, the horse is dead or nearly so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Kat1170 wrote: »
    pheven.jpg

You forgot the T. :p
    Pter wrote: »
    Jacuzzi is a brand name. You can also buy Jacuzzi toilets and mattresses.

And if I'm not mistaken, the original spelling of the surname was Giacuzzi.

EDIT: No, that was wrong. But they also have an aircraft division.

There is a single men's toilet in Holles St Hospital. Queues are not uncommon.
    New Home wrote: »
    Is that a single men's toilet or a single men's toilet?

EDIT: Jesus, posted that and copped im bringing it back to toilets again.....im totally gonna get pigeonholed (oh matron) at this rate.
    You forgot the T. :p

And if I'm not mistaken, the original spelling of the surname was Giacuzzi.

We make a good fact team, NH.

Ok back to work for me after this one:

Panadol and Hedex are the same thing; made in the same factory, to the same formula. But Hedex is about 66% of the price of Panadol, however its just a little harder to find as not all convenience stores stock it.

This is a little less of a shock because there are a lot more generic paracetamol products available in shops recently, but Panadol is still a market leading brand, and people will pass by essentially the same product (Headex) for cheaper to get it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

High fives Pter (but only after he's washed his hands). :D

During the summer you can usually find boxes of generic paracetamol in certain pharmacies at €1 for 24 tablets. Also, paracetamol gets absorbed faster when taken with caffeine (a sip of tea or coffee is all it takes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ok back to work for me after this one:

Panadol and Hedex are the same thing; made in the same factory, to the same formula. But Hedex is about 66% of the price of Panadol, however its just a little harder to find as not all convenience stores stock it.

This is a little less of a shock because there are a lot more generic paracetamol products available in shops recently, but Panadol is still a market leading brand, and people will pass by essentially the same product (Headex) for cheaper to get it.

Isn't there a code on all medicine boxes that translate to the exact ingredients on the product. So you could buy any version of a paracetemol, from different manufactures and at different prices, but if the number on the box is the same, the contents are identical.

Also, from watching one of Michael Mosleys programmes on BBC, he was on about how pain medication is essentially all the same. There is nothing wrong with taking a pill for period pain to ease your headache (and vice versa).

Isn't there a code on all medicine boxes that translate to the exact ingredients on the product. So you could buy any version of a paracetemol, from different manufactures and at different prices, but if the number on the box is the same, the contents are identical.

Also, from watching one of Michael Mosleys programmes on BBC, he was on about how pain medication is essentially all the same. There is nothing wrong with taking a pill for period pain to ease your headache (and vice versa).

I think it goes beyond simple ingredients though. The placebo effect is real. if you believe its working better, it probably will work better.

Also id imagine similar OTC medications are similar in effect...i.e. panadol paracetamol is more or less the same in its effect as anadin paracetamol. But ibuprofin and paracetamol work differently, so while both are pain relievers, they both have different effects (as one example paracetamol isnt great as an anti-inflammatory, whereas ibuprofin is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

The way the table is designed also has a big effect, slow release versus fast versus poor release etc. Personally I find soluble paracetamol to be far, far more effective than the tablet types.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I bet you did'nt know that the placebo effect works. 
    ;)

RIGOLO wrote: »
    ;)

Trust me, when you get migraines you know what works!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

EDIT: Jesus, posted that and copped im bringing it back to toilets again.....im totally gonna get pigeonholed (oh matron) at this rate.

You remind me of Alan Partridge and his Tanoi pedantry.

Ipso wrote:

Ipso facto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did you know that India has a sand mafia? Me either until I watched an episode of Elementary.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/magazine/sand-mining-india-how-to-steal-a-river.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Sudocrem is an Irish product and only manufactured in Ireland, I think.

It was created by a Dublin Pharmacist called Thomas Smith. It was called "Soothing Cream" then changed to "Sudocrem" because of how it was pronounced in the Dublin accent at the time.

I think Forest Labs make it now but originally the name of the company was Tosara. Not sure if this is true but someone told me before that it was named that by making a sort of amalgamation of Thomas and his wife Sara's name similarly to how he renamed the cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ipso wrote: »

Why are you staring at me? I'm not having a go at anyone.

Gary Larson - Thagomizer Smithsonian

Because of that post, I just found out that three creatures were named after Gary Larson. :)

1. Strigiphilus garylarsoni is a chewing louse of a genus found only on owls. (More here)
    Strigiphilus garylarsoni Clayton, ~1989 (owl louse) "I considered this an extreme honor. Besides, I knew no one was going to write and ask to name a new species of swan after me. You have to grab these opportunities when they come along." - Gary Larson
    An 8" x 11" (20 x 28 cm) magnification of the insect appeared in the Prehistory of the Far Side 10th anniversary compilation, along with the letter requesting permission to use his name.

2. Similarly, an Ecuadorian rainforest butterfly, Serratoterga larsoni, was named after him.

3. Finally, the Garylarsonus beetle also carries his name.

Gary Larson
    started out as a biology major, but then switched to communications because he "didn't know what you did with a biology degree."
    :D

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Sudocrem is an Irish product and only manufactured in Ireland, I think.

It was created by a Dublin Pharmacist called Thomas Smith. It was called "Soothing Cream" then changed to "Sudocrem" because of how it was pronounced in the Dublin accent at the time.

I think Forest Labs make it now but originally the name of the company was Tosara. Not sure if this is true but someone told me before that it was named that by making a sort of amalgamation of Thomas and his wife Sara's name similarly to how he renamed the cream.

And it's brilliant stuff!!! We couldn't find anything nearly as good here in Taiwan, the local stuff and all manner of imported expensive German and French stuff, none of it nearly as good as Sudocrem. We had nurses in the maternity ward and post partum centre begging for some as they had kids where nothing else would work. When our kids went to pre-school and kindergarten we had teachers and other parents begging for some. Any friends visiting from Ireland were laden down with Sudocrem! We should have capitalised on it and became official importers! It's widely available here as a grey import and extremely popular with those in the know!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have great news for you, Capt......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RIGOLO wrote: »
    ;)
    It works even if you know it's a placebo.
    Even if you are a medical professional.

And two placebo's are better than one.
    And saline injections are better than sugar pills.

But it's unethical to give placebo's even when you tell people what they are. :confused:

• Advertisement

SuperS54 wrote: »
    And it's brilliant stuff!!! We couldn't find anything nearly as good here in Taiwan, the local stuff and all manner of imported expensive German and French stuff, none of it nearly as good as Sudocrem. We had nurses in the maternity ward and post partum centre begging for some as they had kids where nothing else would work. When our kids went to pre-school and kindergarten we had teachers and other parents begging for some. Any friends visiting from Ireland were laden down with Sudocrem! We should have capitalised on it and became official importers! It's widely available here as a grey import and extremely popular with those in the know!

Isn't it just a zinc oxyde and oil-based cream with a few extra bits?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudocrem

In case you're ever stuck, there's similar stuff out there, too, like Humana Baby cream and Bepanthen/Bepanthenol/Bepanthol (the name varies depending on the country and the cream's composition), and if you can find a pharmacist that makes galenic preparations, they'd make a version of it, too (sometimes called Hoffmann cream or Hoffmann paste).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    A baby's eyeballs are the same size as an adult's.

Not quite. They are around half the size - but since a baby is a lot less than half the size of an adult, a baby's eyes look huge in its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It works even if you know it's a placebo.
    Even if you are a medical professional.

And two placebo's are better than one.
    And saline injections are better than sugar pills.

But it's unethical to give placebo's even when you tell people what they are. :confused:

There’s also the nocebo effect, that works in the same way as the placebo effect only in reverse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

220px-Vesna_Vulovic.jpg

Vesna Vulović holds the world record for surviving the highest fall without a parachute. On the 26th January 1972, she was the air hostess on JAT Flight 367 from Stockholm to Belgrade that crashed after a bomb on board was detonated (Croatian nationalists suspected, but nobody arrested) whilst flying over Czechoslovakia (the town of Srbská Kamenice to be exact). One theory suggests that terminal velocity may have helped. It takes a falling person roughly 12 seconds to reach terminal velocity, and in that time they will fall about 450m (1500 ft). After this point they will not be able to fall any faster. Therefore, even if fall that is over 1500ft, they will still hit the ground at the same speed. Furthermore, she was trapped by a food cart in the DC-9's fuselage as it broke away from the rest of the aircraft. She also had the good fortune (if falling out of a plane can be called that) to land on a snowy slope and this helped to cushion the impact. Her physicians concluded that her history of low blood pressure caused her to pass out quickly after the cabin depressurized and kept her heart from bursting on impact. (Vulović admitted she was aware of her low blood pressure before applying to become a flight attendant and knew that it would result in her failing her medical examination, but she drank an exorbitant amount of coffee beforehand and was accepted...but anyway, back to the story!). She was discovered by a villager named Bruno Honke, who heard her screaming amid the wreckage. Honke had been a medic during World War II and was able to keep her alive until rescuers arrived at the scene.

Her injuries were severe, she had temporary paralysis below the waist, fractured her skull (which subsequently haemorrhaged), had two broken legs, three broken vertebrae (one completely crushed), a fractured pelvis, and quite a few of her ribs were broken. She was also in a coma for 10 days afterwards. She had amnesia from the hour prior to her fall to about a month after it.

After two months of treatment in Prague she was flown back to Belgrade in late March. She refused a hypnotic injection to help her through the flight as she was not afraid of flying because she could not remember the crash. She was put under 24 hour guard in Belgrade as authorities feared that she would be a high profile target for the perpetrators of the bombing. She was released in June and recuperated over summer at a resort in Montenegro before several more operations to restore her mobility. Her parents sold both their cars to pay the medical bills. Within 16 months she had regained almost full use of her legs, except for a limp caused by a twisted spine.

Vulović wished to resume her flight attendant duties when she recovered, but the airline felt that her presence on flights would cause unnecessary attention, and thus JAT gave her a desk job instead. This did not stop her from flying regularly as a passenger. She became something of a celeb in Yugoslavia and abroad, and was decorated by Tito and received recognition from Paul McCartney at a gala in London.

In the early 1990s, JAT fired her for speaking out against Slobodan Milošević and taking part in anti-government protests. Her celebrity status provided a useful shield, as authorities were afraid to arrest her for fear of inciting further unrest. When Milošević was ousted in the Bulldozer Revolution in 2000 she was part of the victory address at Belgrade city hall and in the following years became an active advocate for Serbia to enter the EU.

In the final years of her life, Vulović lived on a €300 per month in her dilapidated apartment in Belgrade. She admitted to having survivors guilt, and this came with obvious hardship. She became a devout Orthodox Christian to cope and would later state that her situation had turned her into somewhat of an optimist. At the same time, she believed it also ruined her life and contributed to her parents premature deaths.

A lifelong smoker, she suffered various heart ailments in her later years which had a detrimental impact on her quality of life. Sadly, she was found dead on the floor of her apartment on the 23rd December 2016 at the relatively young age of 66.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tutankhamun was mentioned earlier in the thread IIRC and his hasty burial, with a mask and tomb not originally intended for him and all that. I forgot to mention(I think :o) that when Howard Carter opened up his sarcophagus and peeled back the wrappings they found all sorts of high class golden and faience(a type of ceramic) items about his person, but his mummy was not very well preserved at all. Again part of the rush job. Further enquiry found that his blackened state was down to the fact that the oils used to embalm him had not been applied in the usual manner and left to sit until they dried properly but instead had soon after his burial spontaneously combusted and partially burnt him. Anyone who works with linseed oil knows that you don't leave oil soaked rags on their own as the drying process of linsseed(and other drying oils) is exothermic(?) and rapid and soaked rags can go up in smoke and flame all too easily. It has caused many serious fires down the years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MurmanskRun

Most nights I can't sleep and daft questions pop unbidden into my head.

Pi. The ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. 3.14 or 22/7 if you're looking for a ballpark, right? But, imagine you're NASA and you're calculating a trip to Mars in our worderfully elliptical galaxy. 22/7 probably isn't going to cut it.

So, given that Pi has (currently) been calculated to 22 trillion decimal places, just how many of those 22,459,157,718,361 digits are *actually* used by the space boffins?

39 or 40.

That'd be enough to orientate you within the observable universe to the resolution of a single atom.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/news/2016/3/16/how-many-decimals-of-pi-do-we-really-need/

Isn't it just a zinc oxyde and oil-based cream with a few extra bits?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudocrem

In case you're ever stuck, there's similar stuff out there, too, like Humana Baby cream and Bepanthen/Bepanthenol/Bepanthol (the name varies depending on the country and the cream's composition), and if you can find a pharmacist that makes galenic preparations, they'd make a version of it, too (sometimes called Hoffmann cream or Hoffmann paste).

Take a nappy rashed baby and apply Sudocrem to one cheek and "zinc oxyde and oil-based cream with a few extra bits" to the other and then tell me they're the same! Seriously though, nothing else we've tried has the thick consistency and stickiness of sudocrem let alone value for money in such a large tub compared to little German tubes of watery cream. My son spent a few days in hospital and the baby in the next bed had very severe nappy rash, was painful to even look at. The prescription Zinc oxide cream given by the hospital wasn't doing a whole lot so we gave the parents a tub of sudocrem, they tried it as they were desperate and the kid was at least 50% better the next morning and pretty much completely better by that evening. It's magical stuff!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

mzungu wrote: »
    One theory suggests that terminal velocity may have helped. It takes a falling person roughly 12 seconds to reach terminal velocity, and in that time they will fall about 450m (1500 ft). After this point they will not be able to fall any faster. Therefore, even if fall that is over 1500ft, they will still hit the ground at the same speed.
    How would terminal velocity have helped?

Yes, she would have stopped accelerating - but she'd still have been falling at a hell of a speed. I think terminal velocity for a person is around 120mph. That's...pretty terminal, I'd have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cdeb wrote: »
    How would terminal velocity have helped?

Yes, she would have stopped accelerating - but she'd still have been falling at a hell of a speed. I think terminal velocity for a person is around 120mph. That's...pretty terminal, I'd have said.

It's not the speed that kills.

It's the sudden stop.

• Advertisement

Most nights I can't sleep and daft questions pop unbidden into my head.

Pi. The ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. 3.14 or 22/7 if you're looking for a ballpark, right?
    11 33 55 is easy to remember

Put 113 under 355 , call it pi and you'd only overestimate the distance to the moon by 100 meters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement