Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

FanadMan wrote: »
    Worked on a building site in London that backed onto a tube station. Occasionally we had to do night shifts in the tube tunnels. Rats the size of cats is real - some of those feckers were massive! So much food was thrown out from the trains inside the tunnels that the rats had an endless supply of food.

And on those night shifts, we used to see those rats running all over the site canteen - soon made me bring lunch and a flask to work :(

Talking of pests . My dad was pest control for BR.

Most of the famous golf courses and hotels in the UK were owned by British Rail until 1984-86

Gleneagles, St Andrews and Turnbury, the North British and the Cally in Edinburgh being the most known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The film trainspotting got its name from here...

http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/pinzac55/21758825

The now demolished Leith Central station was used until 1974.

Became derelict and became a haven for drug users in the 80's.

When the police went in and asked the junkies what they were doing in the old station, the answer was..Trainspotting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Groucho Marx and Alice Cooper were best pals

And they once sent Paul and Linda McCartney a round bed, with the inscription "may all your stains be big ones".

Paul installed the bed in the meditation dome he'd had built in his backgarden in St John's Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Juventus have striped black and white shirts as they once traveled to the UK to play Notts County, but forgot to pack their jerseys. So Notts County loaned them kits, and ever since Juve have played in black and white.

Also, the first team to play at the new Della Apli after it was renovated was Notts County.

I think most people have heard about Germany wearing Green away shirts as a mark of respect to Ireland being the first team willing to play them after WWII. This is in fact a myth. While it is true that Ireland were the first team to play the Germans, green happens to also be the official colour of the German FA, hence the regular appearance in away strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

In the last episode of murder she wrote, it turned out that Angela Lansbury was really the murderer all along, and in every episode she was framing people to continue her murder's rampage
    408589.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Fox Hound wrote: »
    In the last episode of murder she wrote, it turned out that Angela Lansbury was really the murderer all along, and in every episode she was framing people to continue her murder's rampage
    408589.jpg

The last Murder she wrote was based in Ireland !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The last Murder she wrote was based in Ireland !

The last episode was Death by Demographics and was set in San Francisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The last episode was Death by Demographics and was set in San Francisco.

The last episode of the tv show was as you say. there were a series of tv movies that followed and the last one was set in ireland. begorrah so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The honey bee, apis mellifera is one of the most interesting animals. A colony of honey bees can contain tens of thousands of bees. Amongst the bees are workers (females), a few males and a queen. The queen can live up to twenty times longer than the workers, she has no sting, no wax gland or no pollen baskets. She is near to double the size of a worker bee. Worker bees live for weeks yet the queen lives fo years. The interesting thing is she is genetically identical to thousands of her sisters since birth yet develops completely differently to them.

The queen might mate with several males and as a result not all bees will be genetically identical to each other but the hive will contain tens of thousands of genetical identical bees. All of these genetically identical larvae will be fed royal jelly from the nurse bees up to their third day of life. Then something mysterious happens, for some reason as of yet unknown to scientists, the nurse bees select some of the larvae (for reasons as yet unknown) which are indentical to their sisters and continue to feed them royal jelly after the third day. The rest of the larvae are fed pollen and nectar and develop into worker bees. The larvae fed on royal jelly develop into queen bees.

Only recently has the mechanisim behind this been elucidated. Royal jelly is a strange highly nutritious substance containing amino acids, strange fats and some as of yet uknown substances. This substance causes methylation of the bee's DNA (the addition of a carbon and three hydrogens to one of the DNA bases) this causes some of the genes to shut off and other genes to turn off. Hence one substance causes a complete change in the phenotype (the genotype is the actual list genes contained in the organism but the phenotype is the expression of those genes) of that animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I saw the start of a Murder She Wrote yesterday and she addressed the camera and told how the story came about, it was weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mr Owl ate my metal worm is spelled the same way backwards as it is frontwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mr Owl ate my metal worm is spelled the same way backwards as it is frontwards.

"A man, a plan, a canal - Panama"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"A man, a plan, a canal - Panama"

Doc, Note: I Dissent. A Fast Never Prevents A Fatness. I Diet On Cod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Doc, Note: I Dissent. A Fast Never Prevents A Fatness. I Diet On Cod.

Oxo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Oxo

Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ever wonder what these things are about, on trucks:

220px-Tir_Plate.svg.png

"TIR" stands for Transports Internationaux Routiers (International Road Transport) and is, essentially, a system where a road haulier can obtain customs pre-clearance for sealed cargos across intermediate jurisdictional borders as long as no deliveries take place before the final, pre-declared, destination. They haven't been necessary in this corner of the World since the European single market, but guess who's leaving the single market? Looks like TIR plates are coming back for haulage between Dundalk and Letterkenny, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

FanadMan wrote: »
    Worked on a building site in London that backed onto a tube station. Occasionally we had to do night shifts in the tube tunnels. Rats the size of cats is real - some of those feckers were massive! :(

I think Stephen King wrote a story like that, might have been called Night Shift

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cartouche wrote: »
    I dont doubt that its possible, but i would defer to the experts

Oxford University Press announced Monday it is crediting Shakespeare's British contemporary Christopher Marlowe as a co-author on Shakespeare's "Henry VI" plays in future publications.
    So he should have signed it Marley & Me ?

Also no two of his surviving signatures are spelt the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ever wonder what these things are about, on trucks:

220px-Tir_Plate.svg.png

"TIR" stands for Transports Internationaux Routiers (International Road Transport) and is, essentially, a system where a road haulier can obtain customs pre-clearance for sealed cargos across intermediate jurisdictional borders as long as no deliveries take place before the final, pre-declared, destination. They haven't been necessary in this corner of the World since the European single market, but guess who's leaving the single market? Looks like TIR plates are coming back for haulage between Dundalk and Letterkenny, for example.

I did not know that.
    Thread delivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Also no two of his surviving signatures are spelt the same way.

Which is annoying when trying to identify who a guy actually was and what he did

Bottom line, no one knows really. There was a dude called William Shakespeare for sure
    Did he write all those plays , maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I did not know that.
    Thread delivers

Badum tish!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Which is annoying when trying to identify who a guy actually was and what he did

Bottom line, no one knows really. There was a dude called William Shakespeare for sure
    Did he write all those plays , maybe

Dog-with-a-mallet-rammed-up-his-hole knows that Shakespeare's plays were not in fact written by William Shakespeare, but by another gentleman of the same name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think Stephen King wrote a story like that, might have been called Night Shift
    Night Shift is a collection of short stories.

Are you thinking of "Rats" by James Herbert maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

cdeb wrote: »

I was thinking 'The Midnight Meat train!' :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

. While it is true that Ireland were the first team to play the Germans.
    Not true. Ireland played Germany in 1939, but didn't meet (West) Germany again until 1951.

Switzerland were the first team to play ze Germans after the war, in 1950. Germany had been banned from international competition in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

Winston Churchill used to live in the Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Not true. Ireland played Germany in 1939, but didn't meet (West) Germany again until 1951.

Switzerland were the first team to play ze Germans after the war, in 1950. Germany had been banned from international competition in the meantime
    Yes Switzerland were the first team to play Germany after both Wars.

Also Green and White are the colours of the House of Saxony. Similarly Italy wear blue as its the colour of the House of Savoy and the Netherlands, the House of Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The "mould" in French blue cheeses, and on top of other cheeses, does not just "happen" naturally.

These are actually different varieties of fungi that are injected, or mixed, into the cheese at various stages of cheese making.

Roquefort and Bleu d'Auvergne for example are mixed with Penicillium roqueforti. And yes, the fungus is somewhat related to penicillin, some cheese maker noticed it on a rye type of bread, and thought he'd try it out on cheese for flavour. In order to help the fungus develop, the cheeses are spiked. It creates little chimneys that will let enough air in to help the fungus develop. That's why when you look at a slice of blue cheese you may see lines where the blue started from.

Camembert's white crust also has its own specific fungus : Penicillium camembertii.
    This particular fungus has more of a potential for developing a dangerous toxin.

I'm very fond of blue cheese, and ate plenty of it even while pregnant. I would be a bit more weary of soft cheeses like Camembert alright. (look at this French ad with a pregnant lady :)https://youtu.be/PnTJByzMS1g )

Oh, and I have found the perfect AH video of blue cheese making for those interested. :P https://youtu.be/0Bqh_8fkDD0

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

You can fix a broken nail using a teabag

I usually use a claw hammer myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'm not sure if it was called Night Shift or not, but I definitely read a Stephen King story about huge rats in an old factory. I can corroborate that much for Cartouche :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement