Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fourier wrote: »
    As Ineedaname has said, this is Antimatter as opposed to Dark Matter.
    Antimatter is important in the history of physics as it was the first thing discovered purely mathematically without any evidence of its existence or trying to explain something already seen in experiments.

Here is the fireplace:
    Two points.

A - When Maxwell was investigating the maths behind electricity and magnets he wasn't expecting to explain what light was.

B - that fireplace is now sealed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Candie wrote: »
    It worked out well!

I was going to post about Demodex mites but it's just too boring now :)

Awh!!! I want to know about the mites!!!

Love Capt'n M's contributions too!

This is the last great thread on Boards, imo. At least on AH.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Home wrote: »
    Awh!!! I want to know about the mites!!!
    you don't , it's a mite disconcerting...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

But I do... the poor mites...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

My dad use to always vaguely tell me something about a tribe that were captured in battle and instead of being killed, they had their hands cut off and other mutilations as a warning to the rest of the tribe to surrender and also as a burden and shame on the tribe.

Anyway I looked it up and I think he was talking about The Mapuche Warriors from Chile and one of their leaders Galvarino. When the Spanish arrived, they captured a number of the tribe in battle and mutilated them cutting off their nose, right hand and in Galvarino's case, both his hands. He was supposedly very calm and unphased and offered his head so they could decapitate him but instead they sent them back as a message and a threat to the people to submit however when they returned Galvarino persuaded the people not to lie down and continue the fight for themselves.

In November 1557, only a month after they'd been released, The Battle of Millarapue commenced and apparently Galvarino went out into battle with knives and blades fastened to his wrists as weapons, not retreating as expected like some Edward Scissorhands but Wolverine style!!

They were no match for the Spanish and their cannon fire though and Galvarino and many of the Mapuche men were recaptured and killed. Some of the Mapuche tribes continued to resist colonization with Galvarino seen as a warrior legend and remained independent until the late 19th century.

I read that when he was recaptured, a Spanish aide said that he tried to encourage Galvarino to join the Spanish and apparently his reply was "I would rather die than live like you, and I'm only sorry that my death will keep me from tearing you to pieces with my teeth" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Two points.

A - When Maxwell was investigating the maths behind electricity and magnets he wasn't expecting to explain what light was.

B - that fireplace is now sealed.
    Oh the difference with Maxwell is light and its nature as a wave were known already. Its existence wasn't first found from mathematical constraints.

Didn't know the fireplace is now sealed.

DON'T READ IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH

Of the many species of the Demodex mite, an ecto-parasite that lives in the hair follicles of mammals, only two species of Demodex live on people, Demodex Brevis and Demodex Folliculorum and these little chaps live in the oil glands and lash follicles of our eyelids.

By age 20, about 20% of people have these invaders, and by the age of 30 about 30% do and so on until about 100% of us have them if we're lucky enough to live til 90. Most of us coexist in blissful ignorance with the mites, and never have any symptom of their presence.

In humans the mites live in and around the lash follicles and in the sebum secreting meibomian gland which produces an oily, fatty substance that forms a ring around the eye preventing normal tears from spilling out by creating a barrier and helps keep our eyes moist from drying out by slowing evaporation. We have about 80 meibomian glands distributed around our upper and lower lids, and problems arise when the glands or follicles become blocked by the mites and their eggs.

Bleparitis is an itchy and sore inflammation of the the oil glands and the mites are a leading cause of it, as they can cause a build up of bacteria when their presence prevents the oil from flowing from the gland normally. Often mites cause dry eyes in those affected, for much the same reason. Other issues include chalazions (meibomian cysts), or styes caused by a bacterial infection of a lash follicle.

Most of us don't get these issues, because normal hygiene keeps things under control. Washing, changing pillowcases regularly, and using clean towels to dry our eyes can go a long way towards keeping the numbers of mites down.

Horrid as Demodex mites are to think about, they pale in comparison to what the Filarial worms can do to us. Filarial worms are little roundworms that live in lymphatic and subcutaneous tissue. You can observe them moving around just under the skin. The lymphatic system works to keep normal fluid levels in our bodies and helps us fight off infections. When the worms colonise the lymphatic vessels it can result in fluid retention and swelling.

Most people are asymptomatic, but the unlucky few can have massively swollen legs, and skin infections that causes thickening and callousing of the skin. The scrotum may also swell to agonizing proportions, and it has been known to cause rupture in the unlucky few. Which makes eye mites sound like a walk in the park. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

A higher proportion of articles than you might expect in magazines, across a huge range of topics, are written by marketing executives from advertisers. I know because I've had to write a good few of them in my time as a marketer.

If you see an ad for a product and then see an article/recipe/editorial or think piece that has anything to do with that product, there is a very high chance, in my experience, that you are being talked to not by the magazine, but by the advertiser.

This is true in food magazines, beauty magazines and the other trade magazines I have dealt with.

I'm not sure how much this is common knowledge tbh. I've given people the pieces I have written and they have been convinced after reading it, even though I had tried to make the same point previously without the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I regret that I ever read that, Candie ...

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »
    I regret that I ever read that, Candie ...

I'm sorry, Carry. I added a warning but I should have thought of doing it before I posted it. I hope I haven't turned your stomach. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Candie wrote: »
    I'm sorry, Carry. I added a warning but I should have thought of doing it before I posted it. I hope I haven't turned your stomach. :(

No, not really, don't worry Candie. I found it very interesting (like almost all contributions here). I've come to terms that the human body is host to a lot of critters, but now I'm going to watch my eyes very carefully, probably clean them with bleach from now on...

I better concentrate on dark matter and anti matter and watch bananas emit stuff (or antistuff)... ;)

Lorelli! wrote: »
    My dad use to always vaguely tell me something about a tribe that were captured in battle and instead of being killed, they had their hands cut off and other mutilations as a warning to the rest of the tribe to surrender and also as a burden and shame on the tribe.
    Basil II was a Byzantine Emperor who was said to have captured 15,000 Bulgarian prisoners at the Battle of Kleidion and then blinded 99 of every 100 men, leaving a one-eyed man in each cohort to lead the rest back to their ruler.

The Bulgarian Emperor Samuil escaped but died two months later of a heart attack allegedly at the sight of the blinded soldiers. It's like something out of Iain M. Banks.

483526.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lorelli! wrote: »

Anyway I looked it up and I think he was talking about The Mapuche Warriors from Chile and one of their leaders Galvarino. When the Spanish arrived, they captured a number of the tribe in battle and mutilated them cutting off their nose, right hand and in Galvarino's case, both his hands. He was supposedly very calm and unphased and offered his head so they could decapitate him but instead they sent them back as a message and a threat to the people to submit however when they returned Galvarino persuaded the people not to lie down and continue the fight for themselves.

In November 1557, only a month after they'd been released, The Battle of Millarapue commenced and apparently Galvarino went out into battle with knives and blades fastened to his wrists as weapons, not retreating as expected like some Edward Scissorhands but Wolverine style!!

They were no match for the Spanish and their cannon fire though and Galvarino and many of the Mapuche men were recaptured and killed. Some of the Mapuche tribes continued to resist colonization with Galvarino seen as a warrior legend and remained independent until the late 19th century.

I read that when he was recaptured, a Spanish aide said that he tried to encourage Galvarino to join the Spanish and apparently his reply was "I would rather die than live like you, and I'm only sorry that my death will keep me from tearing you to pieces with my teeth" :/

Supposedly during the hundred years war English archers got horrific treatment from the French, if captured. One punishment was cutting of he two fingers used to draw the bow string.
    One possible origin of the two finger salute may be from Agincourt, where the English archers waved their two fingers at the French side (not proven or unproven either).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

New Home wrote: »
    what was his original crime, i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

what was his original crime, i wonder?

Appears the first one he was caught for was trying to defraud a bank into giving him a loan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jay_Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

eating bananas will make you more attractive to mosquitos*

*may or may not be true
    I was told this by my 8 year old on holidays. I wanted him to eat something healthy for once. He doesn't like bananas. I was impressed enough with his "fact" that we ended up getting icecream for safety.
    I could google if this is true but I prefer not knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Putting it here is as good as googling it tbf.

Bananas contain octenol which is commonly used as a bait in mosquito traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ipso wrote: »
    Supposedly during the hundred years war English archers got horrific treatment from the French, if captured. One punishment was cutting of he two fingers used to draw the bow string.
    One possible origin of the two finger salute may be from Agincourt, where the English archers waved their two fingers at the French side (not proven or unproven either).

Don't feel too sorry for the English. Look at what they did at Agincourt.

As usual they always go too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Don't feel too sorry for the English. Look at what they did at Agincourt.

As usual they always go too far.

They...won the battle and returned to England? :confused:

They...won the battle and returned to England? :confused:

Look into it a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Look into it a bit more.

I have actually, I've completed a research project on the battle of Agincourt before - hence my question...could you clarify what you mean a bit more? Are you perhaps referring to their killing of the French prisoners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Look into it a bit more.

hey
    this is a thread for telling us things we don't know , not giving us homework on things we don't know !

I have actually, I've completed a research project on the battle of Agincourt before - hence my question...could you clarify what you mean a bit more? Are you perhaps referring to their killing of the French prisoners?

Yes or rather the French Knights to be more specific.

hey
    this is a thread for telling us things we don't know , not giving us homework on things we don't know !

I like to tease....:D

You may know they've found water on Mars.

But now it looks like there was also water on the Moon. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

You may know they've found water on Mars.

But now it looks like there was also water on the Moon. Twice.

No fuppin water here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cross-posted from the 'how to kill your ex thread', i had seen someone else mentioned/posted this and looked it up, a bit sorry now i did.

The persians of antiquity had a method of torture/execution called "the boats". From wikipedia
    the intended victim was stripped naked and then firmly fastened within the interior space of two narrow rowing boats (or hollowed-out tree trunks) joined together one on top of the other with the head, hands and feet protruding. The condemned was forced to ingest milk and honey, and more honey would be poured on the victim to attract insects, with special attention devoted to the eyes, ears, mouth, face, genitals, and anus. In some cases, the executioner would mix milk and honey and pour that mixture all over the victim. The victim would then be left to float on a stagnant pond or be exposed to the sun. The defenseless individual's feces accumulated within the container, attracting more insects which would eat and breed within the victim's exposed flesh, which—pursuant to interruption of the blood supply by burrowing insects—became increasingly gangrenous. The individual would lie naked, covered from head to toe in milk, honey, and his own feces. The feeding would be repeated each day in some cases to prolong the torture, so that fatal dehydration or starvation did not occur. Death, when it eventually occurred, was probably due to a combination of dehydration, starvation, and septic shock. Delirium would typically set in after a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There goes my lunch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement