Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

From QI

There once was a novelty act with a dancing duck.

Guy plays piano, and the duck danced on top of it.

After the guy died they found out the trick.

There was a hotplate in the piano, and since the duck was tied up ....

"ouch ouch ouch"

They used to do the same with Flea Circus(es?/Circi?).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

You'll often read pop science books say particles pop in and out of existence in empty space.

For example an article in the Economist:
    https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2016/11/17/the-uncanny-physics-of-empty-space

In Scientific America:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/something-from-nothing-vacuum-can-yield-flashes-of-light/

This is in fact wrong. Empty space is just empty.

It arose as an error in trying to explain something called vacuum polarization to the public in the 1950s and has remained with the same incorrect explanation ever since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mick Jagger's youngest son is younger than his great-grandchild. His son was born in 2016, but his great-grandchild was born in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Cavan people are actually NOT mean at all. It's a myth dreamed up by comedian Niall Tobin for cheap laughs and his punchline of "Mean Cavan Bastards". In fact they are one of the biggest contributors to charity and the first to pay their bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tigerboon wrote: »
    Cavan people are actually NOT mean at all. It's a myth dreamed up by comedian Niall Tobin for cheap laughs and his punchline of "Mean Cavan Bastards". In fact they are one of the biggest contributors to charity and the first to pay their bills!
    We all know it's the tipp lads who are mean. You can see them at the matches trying to take the tinfoil off the sandwiches in their pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

We all know it's the tipp lads who are mean. You can see them at the matches trying to take the tinfoil off the sandwiches in their pockets.

And they invented copper wire by fighting over a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ipso wrote: »
    And they invented copper wire by fighting over a penny.

Also Copper Faced Jack's - limbo dancing was first seen after a few lads came up with a method to get under the doors of public toilets which charged a penny for entry ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

In 1946, a man claiming to be a detective gave an unsuspecting accomplice a camera and asked her to take a picture of a suspect. The “detective” turned out to be a gangster, the “suspect” turned out to be his ex-wife, and the “camera” turned out to be a concealed shotgun firing via the shutter button.

new yorker article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

the distinctive smell of Play Doh has been trademarked,

you can trademark smells

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The difference between a cactus and a Cavan man is ... you can get a drink out of a cactus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland.

the distinctive smell of Play Doh has been trademarked,

you can trademark smells
    This is uncanny, not a minute before reading your post I was playing with my two year old and she was opening play doh and she said "I'm going to smell it", then have at a big theatrical whiff, and said "yuck, it's disgusting, I don't like play doh" and marched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

mzungu wrote: »
    The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland.
    I think its the Meerkat ?

"mzungu wrote:
    The unicorn is the national (mythical) animal of Scotland.
    KK4SAM wrote: »

Nope you're both wrong - it's the wombat!

Wombat+Kilt.jpg

The internet doesn't lie ....

KK4SAM wrote: »
    gozunda wrote: »
    Nope you're both wrong - it's the wombat!

Wombat+Kilt.jpg

The internet doesn't lie ....

According to National Geographic it's the unicorn:
    THE SCOTTISH ARE known for their adoration of myths and legends: ghosts, witches, magic, water monsters, and more fairy folk. The magical unicorn is perhaps their most beloved, particularly because it’s the country’s national animal.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/scotland/unicorn-national-animal-trail/

mzungu wrote: »
    According to National Geographic it's the unicorn:

I think the (mythical) kilt wearing wombat disagrees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Pyr0 wrote:
    In the Electric Six song "Danger! High Voltage", the secondary lead vocals are actually performed by Jack White from the White Stripes.

How did I not know this. Huge fan of white stripes, raconteurs, dead weather, Jack's solo stuff AND I actually had that Electric Six album when released in 2003.

Listened to it on Spotify there now, and it's so obviously JW, slap the forehead moment haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Scotland has the unicorn.

Wales national animal is the Dragon

Greece is the Phoenix

Ireland's is the red deer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Scotland has the unicorn.

Wales national animal is the Dragon

Greece is the Phoenix

Ireland's is the red deer

Is ireland’s the only one that actually exists??

No. The vast majority exist. The crazy one are by far the most interesting. Like Scotland and the unicorn. So random.

America is the bald eagle.

Think England's is the bulldog.

North Korea have some mythical creature I've never heard of . Chollima. Some flying horse type.

Most coy tries use their indigenous animals like Australia has the emu and kangaroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

No. The vast majority exist. The crazy one are by far the most interesting. Like Scotland and the unicorn. So random.

America is the bald eagle.

Think England's is the bulldog.

North Korea have some mythical creature I've never heard of . Chollima. Some flying horse type.

Most coy tries use their indigenous animals like Australia has the emu and kangaroo

The national animal of England is the lion. The bulldog is the national animal of Britain as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

tigerboon wrote: »
    It was a scottish comedian (forgot his name) who started the whole stingey scots thing as well. Amazing how these things take on a life of their own.
    A couple of my favourite Toibin Cavan jokes:
    Why do Cavan supporters save their sandwiches until after the match has finished... in case it's a draw.
    Cavan people emmigrate you know! Oh yes it's true, some of them have got as far as Monaghan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I didn't think Australia would have the emu as the national animal after the war of 1932 :D

Ineedaname wrote: »
    The national animal of England is the lion. The bulldog is the national animal of Britain as a whole.

Ah but of course.

The British bulldog

And

Three lions on their shirt. (Its coming home)

All makes sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I didn't think Australia would have the emu as the national animal after the war of 1932 :D

Imagine having a 20th century army in an industrialised country losing a war against some emus.

The army was only 2 guys tho I think

And they gave them guns that couldn't shoot any distance

Emus used the amazing tactics of running away

It was a scottish comedian (forgot his name) who started the whole stingey scots thing as well. Amazing how these things take on a life of their own.
    When I lived in Hungary the equivalent of the eurosaver menu in McDonald's was called the "zseb pénz barát" or "pocket money friend". Meanwhile the Burger King equivalent was "skót ajánlot" or "Scottish menu", complete with a picture of a ginger in a kilt and bagpipes.

The first anti smoking and tobacco movement was started by the Nazi party. Their policies included bans on smoking in public places, increased tobacco taxes, advertising bans, and research into links between tobacco and lung cancer. However, cigarette consumption increased in the six years after the Nazi's came to power, but started to decline in the postwar period. The campaign was not a public health campaign as we would understand them today, but more a warning about the damage it could do to ones racial and bodily purity.

Incidentally, Churchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt were all fond of tobacco, the three major fascist leaders of Europe—Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco—were all non-smokers.

Below are some of the various adverts they put out.

F3.medium.gif
    Translation: “Our Fuhrer Adolf Hitler drinks no alcohol and does not smoke…. His performance at work is incredible.”

F1.medium.gif
    Translation: “Tobacco capital” raining down to spoil the people's health (Volksgesundheit), labour power (Arbeitskraft), demographic political goals (Bevolkerungspolitische Ziele), and the wealth of the people (Volksvermogen).

F4.medium.gif
    Translation: German cigarette consumption. In 1940–1 Germans smoked 75 billion cigarettes, or enough to form a cylindrical block 436 metres high with a base of 100 square metres.

F5.medium.gif
    Translation: The chain smoker: “You don't smoke it—it smokes you!”

F6.medium.gif
    Translation: “Is it really just by chance that men are so much more likely than women to suffer from lung diseases?”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

485496.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

*there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement